Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• Jeds peds Whirlwind (Expandora) finished with Posca pens and Envirotex Lite.

Sounds great! But the tone control does nothing. Thread here asking for help! 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/234327/need-help-with-tone-control-on-expandora-clone

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Yeah I wonder if the title can be changed 
    Lockdown pedal building (may contain traces of nuts)
  • Yeah I wonder if the title can be changed 
    Done :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • roberty said:
    Definitely a few nuts lol. I tried the Walrus lore today. I wonder if one if the frv kits can get close to that

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

roberty said:
    Definitely a few nuts lol. I tried the Walrus lore today. I wonder if one if the frv kits can get close to that
    Nuts and washers for sure

Just seen that the EQD Eruptor is £190 at Thomann. Reminds me why I got into this hobby in the first place
  • roberty said:
    roberty said:

Just seen that the EQD Eruptor is £190 at Thomann. Reminds me why I got into this hobby in the first place
    Thats a fuzz face right with a buffer. I need to try one of those.

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

edited September 2022
    roberty said:
    roberty said:

Yeah I built one ages ago but only just got around to finishing and play testing it properly. It's an instant favourite, I wish I hadn't waited so long. It does the velcro thing, it's fat but it's also sizzly and clear. The only thing I'd say is it's not really designed to be subtle. The factory ones don't have volume controls either which is silly imo, the buffer implies you can use it in complex signal chains. Why would you add that and then force it to wear the trousers
  • Inagreeroberty said:
    roberty said:
    roberty said:

Yeah I built one ages ago but only just got around to finishing and play testing it properly. It's an instant favourite, I wish I hadn't waited so long. It does the velcro thing, it's fat but it's also sizzly and clear. The only thing I'd say is it's not really designed to be subtle. The factory ones don't have volume controls either which is silly imo, the buffer implies you can use it in complex signal chains. Why would you add that and then force it to wear the trousers
     I need to work up a circuit that's has the transformer as putting that before a fuzz would make any of them more useable. 

@Cookiemonster loads of schematics for pickup sims online. I'd like to make one too tbh it would make life a lot easier http://www.muzique.com/lab/pickups.htm
  • roberty said:
    @Cookiemonster loads of schematics for pickup sims online. I'd like to make one too tbh it would make life a lot easier http://www.muzique.com/lab/pickups.htm
    We need to get a Vero together. I fairly new to doing my own designs though

roberty said:
    We need to get a Vero together. I fairly new to doing my own designs though
    Might not even need Vero, it's just a few bits
    edited September 2022
    Mouser have the transformers in stock. Might get a few to play with

I'd love to be able to use my Hudson Broadcast clone with my ES-8

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Xicon/42TM019-RC?qs=LQJGOuQCHKQk/aBX9yNCGw==
    Tried the Exploder/Erupter tonight in rehearsal, it's good but it didn't quite beat my Carcosa clone. I think my big amp is a bit too crunchy for it to show its best. The Carcosa circuit is genius honestly, you can dial in just the right amount of everything. Tom Cram is a bloody legend 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2288
    roberty said:
    Tried the Exploder/Erupter tonight in rehearsal, it's good but it didn't quite beat my Carcosa clone. I think my big amp is a bit too crunchy for it to show its best. The Carcosa circuit is genius honestly, you can dial in just the right amount of everything. Tom Cram is a bloody legend 
    Where did you get the board and schematic for the Carcosa clone?
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5159
    edited September 2022
    Keefy said:
    roberty said:

There's one here:

https://www.musikding.de/Carcass-Fuzz-kit

Or if you want to do it the hard way:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2017/12/dod-carcosa-fuzz.html

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Keefy said:
    roberty said:
    It's this one mate. Shipping is €5 and there's no import duty on anything worth less than £135 so it works out quite decent

I find these ones more fiddly to box up than Fuzz Dog. Also the wiring is a bit funny, I can't remember how I tested it or even if I tested it at all
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2288
    Keefy said:
    roberty said:

There's one here:

https://www.musikding.de/Carcass-Fuzz-kit

Or if you want to do it the hard way:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2017/12/dod-carcosa-fuzz.html
    roberty said:
    Keefy said:
    roberty said:
    It's this one mate. Shipping is €5 and there's no import duty on anything worth less than £135 so it works out quite decent

I find these ones more fiddly to box up than Fuzz Dog. Also the wiring is a bit funny, I can't remember how I tested it or even if I tested it at all
    Thanks chaps. Also considering a phaser kit form Musikding...
  • i built a fuzz... but it ain't very fuzzy. So wanted to pick the brains on here...

It's a Jeds Peds Axis Fuzz I built a while back... and while it works it's dosn't have much volume or 'fuzzy-ness' compared to the online demos I've heard. It does work, it does fuzz but seem a bit lacklustre.

I know it's hard to judge anything from a pic but just wondered if there was anything obvious to try? Or anything I could of damaged in the build?

I have build other kits and they work fine so while I'm not the best at this kind of stuff I'm not a complete novice but that still dosn't rule out my lack of ability :)

@markblack looks like the transistors are oriented in the opposite direction to the silkscreen on the PCB, I think they may be in backwards. The Axis fuzz is a silicon fuzz, so I think it's likely that the orientation shown is for modern transistors

Some of the solder joins look a little dirty, I would reflow these with a clean, hot iron

I had an original red rocket ship Axis and it was not at all tame. One of the pot shafts snapped so I emailed the company and they asked me to send a book of first class stamps to their address to cover the cost of a replacement. I was odd but I did it anyway. A few days later a replacement pot arrived in a hand addressed envelope from Roger Mayer. I was a bit starstruck. I kept the envelope for a while but I think I lost it in a house move. I eventually sold the pedal too when I realised I could build my own and pocket £100+
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5159
    edited September 2022
    I'd start by re-flowing the solder joints. Just put the tip of your iron on each joint until the solder melts, then remove the iron and wait until it re-solidifies. You may need to add a bit more solder to a couple of them.

While you're doing that, check that you haven't accidentally bridged any joints that shouldn't be connected. You may need a solder sucker tool to get rid of any excess. They're dirt cheap.

There's some burns on the board and on some of the components (esp. the large cap on the lower left)- it's possible you've damaged something but I'd re-do the solder joints first before you do anything else.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.