Bottled it and Kicking Myself!

What's Hot

I had a chance to do a song on the Bass in a pub last night and I bottled it.

Bear in mind I am a Guitarist not Bassist and have not played in front of people for 19 years.

The pub was packed and had someones Birthday do on. It's a pub me and my brother go in most weekends, so we are familiar with it. The group had a Guitarist/Singer, Keyboard player and a Drummer and no Bassist, but they had a Bass as spare. I think they were not an established group, but musicians who do the rounds and know each other.

I was stood very close to where they were playing and just before the last song of their first set, the singer asked if anyone could play Bass so I discretely went over and asked him what they were playing. It was Valerie(Zutons version) which I could have handled quite easy I think.

The nerves kicked in at that moment then, I didn't seem too bothered when he asked but just stepping forward 3 feet on the carpet to the guy seemed to be like walking to my fate on Death Row.

I had a word anyway, ummed and aaahhhed a bit and made some excuse up to the guy and carried on watching them. I'd only had 1/2 pint as well so I wasn't scared of messing up through alcohol.

It was discrete so there was no embarassment as such, just a feeling that I was completely "Chicken". I was so disappointed with myself at the time a and was beating myself up a bit.

I have been thinking "If only" today. If I'd have just had the nerve to do it, I would have thought I'd really made a breakthrough, even though it may seem like nothing to some.

If I'd have had the song rehearsed I think I would have done it. I think that was what put most of the fear in me.

F*****g Nerves, man. If I ever play live again I hope this doesn't race to my memory.

Sorry to go on, but it's a missed opportunity as far as I'm concerned and I thought I was more brave than that.

Just wondered if you think I'm being too negative and too hard on myself about it.

Thanks.

:-(

Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15614
    sometimes a "defeat" or a setback can be a very positive thing, if we're never faced with adversity or challenges to ourselves then we'll never grow. Being negative on yourself can be a good thing, as long as you're not too hard. Remember how you feel now, so that next time you won't want to feel like that.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Yes you are being too hard on yourself.

I know it won't help to say but yes you could easily have done a good job I'm sure, and if you had done it, then you would be buzzing today and wanting to join a band.... 

but there is a big difference between someone who is well used to gigging stepping up with no rehearsal and winging it and someone who hasn't giggied.  Maybe if you were mates with the band then you would have felt more relaxed but just maybe you would have had an attack of nerves mid song and ruined it.  

Just move on and next time you get the chance, if you really feel comfortable then you'll go for it. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @VimFuego

@John_P

Thanks for the support. On the upside I did really enjoy playing Guitar today.

I was in comfortable and familiar surroundings, but I think you're right, the main factors were not knowing the guys and not having the reassurance of having rehearsed the song.

To satisfy my curiosity, I played along to it on the Guitar today as if I was playing Bass and had it down easy.

Oh well!

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27661

Bear in mind I am a Guitarist not Bassist and have not played in front of people for 19 years.

So, it would have been your first time in 19 years.  In a pub packed full of people many of whom you know and would recognise you.  On not-your-main instrument.  And a track that you sort-of know, but hadn't practised.

Given those conditions, I don't think you "bottled" it at all.

But I can also understand why you might feel you missed an opportunity.

As many people here are now bored of hearing me day, I played in public (for the first time in 31 years) last weekend.  It was great.  Didn't really "enjoy" it at the time, I was focussing too much on playing properly, but have enjoyed all the "you were really good" comments afterwards!  We practised lots beforehand and want to do it again.  If we hadn't have practised first, it wouldn't have gone well, and we'd all be hiding somewhere now.

Sounds like you want to do it, so I'd say find a group of like-minded people, practice some stuff, practice some more and - when you're ready to grab the opportunity - get out there and do it for real.

:)

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • @TTony

Cheers

You're right. I am very hungry for it, but right place, right time is better yes.

;)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10605
    tFB Trader
    First few outings with a new band/project are always stressful for me too. I'm back out with my new band soon, and It'll be the first  regular and 'critical' gigging  I've done for five years. Done a bit of jamming and sitting in ... but that's not really the same.
    You'll get there ... like Tony says ... practice with people you get on with and go for it ... it's a drug ... go get your fix :)  and you'll be back for more

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• @TheGuitarWeasel

I'm looking forward to the day. Good luck with your new band

;)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
    tFB Trader
    Don't sweat it. You are far better to dip your toe in a controlled environment like a jam night. 

If it had gone horribly wrong it might have put you right off. 
  • @monquixote

It's like 2 parallel universes have been created from that 1 event.

1. The one where I played and it was great.

2. The one where I played and scewed it up.

Lol

B-)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

@bellycaster ;  just back from a Jam night. Did 3 songs which I hadn't heard before (at least not for a long time) did solo's on 2, fucked up (at least I think I fucked up) the first one, got into the second, and really enjoyed it. Never before has there been so much whammy bar action (well since Viz) at the Cambridge Blues jam.

It doesn't matter if you play the odd wrong note, I know I did

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Just wondered if you think I'm being too negative and too hard on myself about it.

I think you might be being too hard on yourself. You didn't bottle it, you simply chose not try something you're not used to. It's really not as big a deal as you think. Maybe next time you'll get up and it'll be fine. It's not like they said "Anyone here who can play the guitar?" and you kept quiet then. The bass isn't your instrument, so you'd have been well out of your comfort zone, so I completely get why you didn't do it. No need to beat yourself up over it.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • @TheOtherDennis

Thanks for your kind words.

Funny thing is, if the guys would have asked for a guitar player, I WOULD have kept quiet because on that occasion I would have considered doing an impromptu song on Guitar a lot more daunting than doing one on Bass, there just seems a lot more scope for screwing up impromptu on Guitar than Bass.

I'm not saying Bass is easier, but you can get away with "Less is more" kind of approach, depending on the song obviously.

I think the other guys on the thread have said it and I agree that it's the fact I didn't have it rehearsed. If I definitely knew a couple of tracks of by heart that they just happened to play, I would do it on either instrument, not without nerves, but with a lot less nerves.

;)
  • @mike_l

You Wily, Seasoned old Twanger, you!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't worry about it, you'll have plenty more opportunities I'm sure. :)
  • Cheers @ddlooping

:)>-
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72560
    edited September 2013

I'm not saying Bass is easier, but you can get away with "Less is more" kind of approach, depending on the song obviously.

Sometimes :). It can be even worse...

But yes, by and large you're right.

Don't sweat it. You are far better to dip your toe in a controlled environment like a jam night. 

If it had gone horribly wrong it might have put you right off. 
    +1

Do you own a bass? If not, it may be a good idea to buy a really cheap one (you can get a perfectly functional P-Bass copy for well under a hundred quid, and you can play through a guitar amp in the house) and 'experiment with it in private' ;). A tiny bit more familiarity and you'll be able to handle playing simple stuff in public.

Bass is a really cool instrument, and there are far fewer bassists than guitarists - so an ability to play one will open a lot of doors, especially if you don't feel that you're a great guitarist. That's exactly why I bought one 25 years ago! I'm still not great at either instrument but it's easier to get into a band with the four-stringed one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• carloscarlos Frets: 3458
    It's only you who still remembers this happened. Which means, if you can let it go, it will never come back to haunt you. So let it go and there will be many more opportunities. Once you've had a few good outings in a row this 'failure' will show its true insignificance.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

I was in a similar position a few years ago, hadn't played live for about ten years and went for an audition with a band that went really well, but it was only 30 minutes.  They rehearsed in a place that had an open mic night the same night, and said 'why don't we get up and play half a dozen songs'  Although I sort of knew them I wasn't really comfortable playing them, but said yes anyway - It was a total mess:) 

You probably did the right thing, after 15 years you want to make sure your reintroduction to playing live is a good one!

• Don't worry about it mate, the jam night suggestion is a good one, I play 2-3 times every weekend in my covers band and I still bollocks things up on occasion (especially breaking in a new tune, it's live, it happens) stop letting it bother you pal probably a good decision and if I were you that's what I'd be telling myself
  • @ICBM

Cheers. Yes, I have thought about acquiring a Bass etc for having more opportunities with bands. I am very into Guitar playing though and really want to pursue that. I can play to a decent level and well enough to be involved in a band which is my goal. I'll never rule the Bass out an an additional option though.

I think I was being too eager as though I had to grab the first chance available to take stage, which in hindsight wasn't a good idea. Patience, I think.

I'm glad I didn't get as far as straping the Bass on a then declining.

It's not bothering me so much now I've heard peoples opinions.