EBay auctions collection only...really!!??!

What's Hot

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited April 2020
    I'm sorry, but I simply cannot believe the sheer selfishness and stupidity of people on this forum who are trying to justify that it's OK to go and pick up gear they've bought - I'm certain others in the UK will similarly be justifying their reasons for flouting the rules and arguing that a few people doing this and that won't have an impact.  Coronavirus is a killer - it doesn't discriminate between age, gender, job, location, reason for journey etc.  

C'mon people - for goodness sake - to anyone here trying to justify why its OK to travel to pick up gear, show some better awareness and social responsibility here. And if anyone wants to call me patronising or thinks this is being over egged then I call that person irresponsible and I make absolutely no apologies for doing so. Even the mods of this board have posted responsible directions to buyers and sellers here. 

I just can't believe some of the posts I'm reading here.  This isn't my 'opinion', this isn't about having a childish rant, this is life and death, pure & simple.  And if just ONE unnecessary journey spreads the disease, it could kill someone in the chain.  The comments re office workers and travel is irrelevant - if the public don't fully get behind this and the virus continues to accelerate, you better believe that the lockdown could get a whole lot worse - do you really want us to be under effective martial law like Italy?!
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Voxman said:
    I'm sorry, but I simply cannot believe the sheer selfishness and stupidity of people on this forum who are trying to justify that it's OK to go and pick up gear they've bought
    Who?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2020
    thegummy said:
    Voxman said:
    I'm sorry, but I simply cannot believe the sheer selfishness and stupidity of people on this forum who are trying to justify that it's OK to go and pick up gear they've bought
    Who?
    Read the posts and make your own assessment. But for example:

If it's one of your dream items you'll make the effort to go collect it

with the huge number of people still working every day, a tiny number of people collecting a guitar from one other person once isn't going to have any noticeable effect on the statistics.

rather overdramatic in fact........I don't understand people's issue .If you do a meet and greet without the meet bit but arrange to pick it up off somebody's drive .

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Voxman said:
    thegummy said:
    Voxman said:
    Who?
    Read the posts and make your own assessment. 
    I've re-read every post and can't find any that match what you say which is why I'm asking.

So which post have you took to mean that?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2020
    thegummy said:
    Voxman said:
    thegummy said:
    Voxman said:
    Who?
    I've re-read every post and can't find any that match what you say which is why I'm asking.

As per previous post, although when I said 'they've bought' I meant it generically, so apologies for bad phrasing on my part. 

However, you yourself you posted; "I think those of us who still have to go to work every day in an office with dozens of others are going to see anyone freaking out over a guitar collection as a bit dramatic."   

I'm unclear why you might still have to travel to an office but if you do because remote working is simply not possible and you have no option, then I sympathise. But surely the responsible message would be, rather than dismissing as over dramatic re people fussed by someone collecting gear because its 'insignificant',  and condemning posts as patronising, that your wellbeing & that of your colleagues shouldn't be further put at risk, regardless of statististics by any unnecessary journeys undertaken by others by train, tube, bus or car.  All it takes is one person to spread the virus and if you think of all the different people regarding certain non-essential journeys as being statistically insignificant, all of those added together can become a bigger, more significant number. All I'm saying is that everyone has a responsibility to limit their/others exposure and not undertake unnecessary journeys - regardless of how safe they might think it is. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    It was clearly stated in the Daily Mail twice last week and 2 government ministers were quoted on Thursday in a number of newspapers @Voxman ....I am not 100% incorrect .
    I had thought otherwise before myself.
    Seems you are trying to shoot the messenger and I am not spreading something that I didn't clearly read.
    I don't think you realise how many large construction sites are in full operation.......it surprises me but this is another thing that was clearly stated by government last week could carry on working ;I'm sure they would have been closed down if it wasn't legal .My brother-in-law is a tube driver and he says the underground is 80% full of builders going to work.......they are very visible ......the builders merchants are open ......I'm sure if this wasn't allowed they would stop them at stations/close the sites.
    Voxman said:
    thegummy said:
    Voxman said:
    thegummy said:
    Voxman said:
    Who?

As per previous post - and you posted; "I think those of us who still have to go to work every day in an office with dozens of others are going to see anyone freaking out over a guitar collection as a bit dramatic."   

I'm unclear why you might still have to travel to an office but if you do because remote working is simply not possible and you have no option, then I sympathise. But surely the responsible message would be, rather than dismissing as over dramatic re someone fussed by someone collecting gear,  that your wellbeing & that of your colleagues shouldn't be further endangered, regardless of statististics by any unnecessary journeys undertaken by others by train, tube, bus or car.  All it takes is one person to spread the virus. 

I haven't bought any gear and don't plan to for a long time. The reason I have to go out every day and work in close proximity to around 100 people every day is because the government have decided some people are "key workers" so it's okay for us to do that.

So compare doing that 5 days a week through the whole pandemic period to one person meeting one other person one time in that same period - it's a tiny fraction of the exposure I have no choice in having.

So I never said it was perfectly fine to meet someone for a collection, that there's an excuse or that anyone should do it. But when a massive deal is made out of that one meeting, of course I'm going to think it's over dramatic when it's nothing compared to what I, and many others, have to do (and the government seem to think is fine for us to do).

So you can't say I'm selfish - I have no choice. If I had a choice I'd stay at home rather than go to work. And you really can't say it's stupid to compare the contact levels between a theoretical guitar pickup and months of daily work in a busy office, it's quite clearly a massive difference between what's apparently fine for some of us to do compared to what some are seeing as incredibly dangerous for someone else to do.

If the "key workers" only applied to people whom the country really can't function without then it would be different but my job and plenty others classed as "key" are far from life and death important.

Rather than me meaning that the guitar collection is nothing and no one should care to avoid it, it's more a case of how it compares to what's seen as acceptable for some.

After sitting thinking about it I think the way I phrased it as "dramatic" isn't right for what I truly feel about it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2020
    Dominic said:
    It was clearly stated in the Daily Mail twice last week and 2 government ministers were quoted on Thursday in a number of newspapers @Voxman ....I am not 100% incorrect .
    I had thought otherwise before myself.
    Seems you are trying to shoot the messenger and I am not spreading something that I didn't clearly read.
    I don't think you realise how many large construction sites are in full operation.......it surprises me but this is another thing that was clearly stated by government last week could carry on working ;I'm sure they would have been closed down if it wasn't legal .My brother-in-law is a tube driver and he says the underground is 80% full of builders going to work.......they are very visible ......the builders merchants are open ......I'm sure if this wasn't allowed they would stop them at stations/close the sites.
    You posted this on the 5th April, and that was certainly wholly incorrect at that time. I've done a search and can't find any such reference from the Daily Mail - I'd be interested in reading that if you have a link?  I did find this on 26th March though:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8158035/Police-streets-stop-drivers-lockdown-threaten-960-fines.html

edited April 2020
    thegummy said:
    Voxman said:
    thegummy said:
    Voxman said:
    thegummy said:
    Voxman said:
    Who?

As per previous post - and you posted; "I think those of us who still have to go to work every day in an office with dozens of others are going to see anyone freaking out over a guitar collection as a bit dramatic."   

I'm unclear why you might still have to travel to an office but if you do because remote working is simply not possible and you have no option, then I sympathise. But surely the responsible message would be, rather than dismissing as over dramatic re someone fussed by someone collecting gear,  that your wellbeing & that of your colleagues shouldn't be further endangered, regardless of statististics by any unnecessary journeys undertaken by others by train, tube, bus or car.  All it takes is one person to spread the virus. 

I haven't bought any gear and don't plan to for a long time. The reason I have to go out every day and work in close proximity to around 100 people every day is because the government have decided some people are "key workers" so it's okay for us to do that.

So compare doing that 5 days a week through the whole pandemic period to one person meeting one other person one time in that same period - it's a tiny fraction of the exposure I have no choice in having.

So I never said it was perfectly fine to meet someone for a collection, that there's an excuse or that anyone should do it. But when a massive deal is made out of that one meeting, of course I'm going to think it's over dramatic when it's nothing compared to what I, and many others, have to do (and the government seem to think is fine for us to do).

So you can't say I'm selfish - I have no choice. If I had a choice I'd stay at home rather than go to work. And you really can't say it's stupid to compare the contact levels between a theoretical guitar pickup and months of daily work in a busy office, it's quite clearly a massive difference between what's apparently fine for some of us to do compared to what some are seeing as incredibly dangerous for someone else to do.

If the "key workers" only applied to people whom the country really can't function without then it would be different but my job and plenty others classed as "key" are far from life and death important.

Rather than me meaning that the guitar collection is nothing and no one should care to avoid it, it's more a case of how it compares to what's seen as acceptable for some.

After sitting thinking about it I think the way I phrased it as "dramatic" isn't right for what I truly feel about it.
    Understood - I think this is a very difficult position for everyone and is just unprecedented - even HM the Queen made a special announcement which is highly unusual in itself.  And to be fair as a vulnerable person I'm probably a bit more sensitive here than some other folk might be.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    @voxman Er, you might want to let the red mist clear. My comment was a) light hearted and b) in the general case given that hollywoodrox's post appeared to be covering normal running as well as viral times.

I've pulled gear from for sale threads, and told a guy on FB he'll have to wait until all this is over before we meet up to do a deal. Fuck it, there's a serious risk my dog is dying but because the vets are doing emergency only we're holding off taking him there until it's clearer that it's not something trivial.

We have multiple vulnerable people that we help out; we're not taking chances with anything.

Take a step break before you start throwing assumptions around, or you'll look as much of a twat as I did joking at hollywoodrox without knowing his situation.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    The virus can exist on physical items for a couple of days; therefore collecting a guitar (or a bike, or anything else) could indeed transfer the virus.

My current approach when receiving items in the post is to put them to one side for a couple of days and wash my hands.

I still don't get the specific issue with someone going for a drive, other than to avoid congestion on the roads, which could lead to a traffic jam and thus put people in close proximity. However, if there are only occasional cars on a road there's no harm done and no intervention required.

In case anybody thinks I'm advocating daily joyrides, I went to the shops on Saturday, didn't go out of the house yesterday (Sunday), am WFH all week, and will likely go out in the car once during the week.
    Snags said:
    @voxman Er, you might want to let the red mist clear. My comment was a) light hearted and b) in the general case given that hollywoodrox's post appeared to be covering normal running as well as viral times.

I've pulled gear from for sale threads, and told a guy on FB he'll have to wait until all this is over before we meet up to do a deal. Fuck it, there's a serious risk my dog is dying but because the vets are doing emergency only we're holding off taking him there until it's clearer that it's not something trivial.

We have multiple vulnerable people that we help out; we're not taking chances with anything.

Take a step break before you start throwing assumptions around, or you'll look as much of a twat as I did joking at hollywoodrox without knowing his situation.
    It's not red mist and I really don't think you can look a twat by taking this seriously.  However, if your comment was intended to be light hearted, understood. I'm really sorry to hear about your dog and hope he's OK - if you are concerned then absolutely you should take him to the vet - but if you haven't already, might be worth giving them a call first to talk through symptoms and be guided by what they say.  
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    @voxman Re the dog. He's been, he was due for scans last Friday but they were cancelled as non-emergency. However, he's continuing not to eat properly, in a steady decline over a month and a half (normally a dustbin) so we'll likely be making hazmat suit appointments this week.
  • Two reasons why people are posting “collection only”..

Brian is a 42 year old guitar dealer. He’s barely left his bedroom at his mums house command centre in 5 years except to fetch pot noodles, Kleenex and “hand”cream. The virus is just something he’s seen on his way to more “interesting” websites that are now offering their premium services for free!

Dave’s partner has decided that being at home is a perfect chance to turn that “spare room” into something nice, like a guest bedroom for when his inlaws come round. But first all that old guitar stuff needs to go. Dave reluctantly agrees to put it on eBay “look dear, it’s advertised. I can’t help it if no one can come and get it.”

;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12907
    thegummy said:

As he pointed out, with the huge number of people still working every day, a tiny number of people collecting a guitar from one other person once isn't going to have any noticeable effect on the statistics.

Its spectacular how many people don't get this. 

One person goes to collect a guitar from one other person. 
    One person goes to visit their one other person 'cos its their birthday.
    One person goes to see one other person to drop off the scarf left round their house a few weeks ago.
    One person goes to see one other person to sell some exercise equipment. 

If everyone was as daft, selfish, and as irresponsible as you then suddenly we'd have millions of people making unneccesary trips and justifying it to themselves with the same failed logic as you are. 

And yes, lots of people are still working everyday. If those people aren't working on their own and are not key workers then either they or their employers are also being irresponsible. Its really not complicated. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    thegummy said:
    MikeS said:
    Dominic said:
    thegummy said:
    I think those of us who still have to go to work every day in an office with dozens of others are going to see anyone freaking out over a guitar collection as a bit dramatic.
    Quite so., rather overdramatic in fact........I don't understand people's issue .If you do a meet and greet without the meet bit but arrange to pick it up off somebody's drive . Personally I wouldn't want to do that because there is a chance it's contaminated but you need to see the amount of people still working in Offices ,using the tube /buses etc to get this into perspective . The office building where I last worked has 7 floors and about 500 people  per floor working for numerous assorted companies .Speaking to the building manager last week he told me that about 50 % were still coming in to work and that their serviced office suites were still open.
    90% of building sites are open.
    Our gardeners are still working and do at least 40 homes and offices around here.They thought I was being ridiculous when I said I didn't want them in for the time being.
    The local hire shops are open.
    All the local farm contractors are working.
    Local car hire firms , Kwik Fit etc are all still workin
    It is also perfectly acceptable to get in your car and go for a recreational drive to relieve boredom - some people are unaware of this but it was clearly stated in newspapers last week and quoted from a government source on thursday with the caveat that you are not to get out of the car or stop for any reason .....this was in response to some regional police forces that got this totally wrong.
     The impact of going to collect a guitar or any item is just a grain of sand in the Sahara by comparison .

@Dominic Ive quoted this, so you can go back and re-read it in 2-3 months time. Hopefully by then the gravity of the current situation will have hit home, and the realisation of how stupid, and offensive, to someone like myself (ambulance, someone who is dealing with Covid19 deaths and the larger impact they have on a daily basis) your above post sounds. I also worry about the person who gave you a 'wisdom' for it. I really do hope you stay safe, and a meet to buy a guitar should most definitely not be on anyones agenda. And most of the above scenarios you've told us about, these are people doing things they shouldn't be doing, and risking the lives of others.
    That's very patronising.

What do you think is going to have happened in a couple of months that would show that someone collecting a guitar from someone (even 20 people doing it) had made the situation worse than it would have been otherwise?

It's understandable you'd have an emotional response to it if you're working as a paramedic and dealing with victims of the virus first hand but that doesn't mean what he said is stupid.

As he pointed out, with the huge number of people still working every day, a tiny number of people collecting a guitar from one other person once isn't going to have any noticeable effect on the statistics.

If collecting a guitar once really is that serious then millions of lives are being sacrificed by having "key workers" continue to work.
    "That's very patronising."

Well yours is the most moronic post I've read in ages and you need to have a word with yourself.

"What do you think is going to have happened in a couple of months that would show that someone collecting a guitar from someone (even 20 people doing it) had made the situation worse than it would have been otherwise?"

1 person collecting 1 guitar is unlikely to make any difference is true. The problem is, which even you must understand, is that when everybody makes that un-essential trip to pick up a guitar, or a new chair, or to the shop to grab some beers, or that Playstation to keep them entertained etc etc etc then the chances of spreading the virus increase exponentially. What part of minimize your exposure for the greater good is too hard to comprehend? Everyone needs to do it - that's the fucking point.

"It's understandable you'd have an emotional response to it if you're working as a paramedic and dealing with victims of the virus first hand but that doesn't mean what he said is stupid."

Also, having an emotional response doesn't mean that what was said isn't stupid. It's possible for someone to be emotionally involved and correct. Quite frankly, this bit is what I see as actually patronising. And offensive.

"If collecting a guitar once really is that serious then millions of lives are being sacrificed by having "key workers" continue to work."

Key workers are still working in order to keep the country going so, among other reasons, we can still access our money, buy food, run the NHS, maintain a functioning police and fire service etc. Millions of people aren't being 'sacrificed' - it's simply doing what the government see as the minimum possible so we can still eat and have some sort of public services. The government are advised by actual experts, not internet keyboard warriors like you.

As I said before, it's not one person collecting one guitar once that's the problem. It's the attitude of people that can't see that why this is an issue - if everybody just makes that odd unessential trip because, hey ho, it's just one trip, then we do have a problem.

Jesus wept, it's not hard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2020
    thegummy said:

Its spectacular how many people don't get this. 

One person goes to collect a guitar from one other person. 
    One person goes to visit their one other person 'cos its their birthday.
    One person goes to see one other person to drop off the scarf left round their house a few weeks ago.
    One person goes to see one other person to sell some exercise equipment. 

If everyone was as daft, selfish, and as irresponsible as you then suddenly we'd have millions of people making unneccesary trips and justifying it to themselves with the same failed logic as you are. 

And yes, lots of people are still working everyday. If those people aren't working on their own and are not key workers then either they or their employers are also being irresponsible. Its really not complicated. 
    Ratiinale is quite right if course but to be fair I think @thegummy did explain his post earlier and he wasn't condoning people's actions here and he wasn't personally doing this so perhaps a bit harsh. 

Listen guys, statistical comments and posts intended to be light hearted aside, I suspect folk here really do get how serious this horrible virus is and I don't think anyone on this board is going to do anything silly. The OP was just an observation on EBay ads.  
    B 
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 639
    Dominic said:
    It was clearly stated in the Daily Mail twice last week...

That should render anything you say after it null and void to be honest...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 908
    edited April 2020
    Surely anyone that's really concerned about the current situation shouldn't be buying any gear (or anything else non vital) that is being sent by post/courier? There's far greater chance of infecting more people if someone in the delivery chain has CV than by 2 people dealing face to face.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/