EBay auctions collection only...really!!??!

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Surely anyone that's really concerned about the current situation shouldn't be buying any gear (or anything else non vital) that is being sent by post/courier? There's far greater chance of infecting more people if someone in the delivery chain has CV than by 2 people dealing face to face.
    Can understand the "must keep amused during isolation" angle but I'm truly surprised anyone would still be buying something like an nth guitar or amp or pedal etc., it must be very close to the least essential purchase imaginable.

Have more understanding for sellers though since a lot of people will be hit hard financially and looking for ways to get money to live off.

In January the only plan I had was to get the nut cut on one of my guitars and maybe or maybe not buy another bass in the next year or so. As soon as the pandemic broke I instantly postponed the nut work indefinitely and the idea of buying an additional bass has gone out the window until well after the pandemic and any financial hangover are gone.

Surely, as long as someone has at least one guitar and amp etc., isolation is the perfect time to improve as a player without the distraction of buying gear. I wish I had all that time alone!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Oh, come on, really???

There's a seller posted some instruments on gumtree and saying "come and try it out!".

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/sunn-mustang-red-electric-guitar/1370558655

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    thegummy said:
    Surely anyone that's really concerned about the current situation shouldn't be buying any gear (or anything else non vital) that is being sent by post/courier? There's far greater chance of infecting more people if someone in the delivery chain has CV than by 2 people dealing face to face.
    Can understand the "must keep amused during isolation" angle but I'm truly surprised anyone would still be buying something like an nth guitar or amp or pedal etc., it must be very close to the least essential purchase imaginable.

Have more understanding for sellers though since a lot of people will be hit hard financially and looking for ways to get money to live off.

In January the only plan I had was to get the nut cut on one of my guitars and maybe or maybe not buy another bass in the next year or so. As soon as the pandemic broke I instantly postponed the nut work indefinitely and the idea of buying an additional bass has gone out the window until well after the pandemic and any financial hangover are gone.

Surely, as long as someone has at least one guitar and amp etc., isolation is the perfect time to improve as a player without the distraction of buying gear. I wish I had all that time alone!

When I get something in the post I open the packaging and take the item out, then set them to one side (and leave them for a couple of days), and then wash my hands.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 908
    I went out to the shops with my wife the other day, I went to the supermarket and she went to another shop. She insisted on wearing rubber gloves, I asked why as she could still pick up the virus on the gloves and transmit to her face - she said that the gloves would remind her not to/stop her touching her face. I finished in my shop first and watched her at the till in her shop and I saw her touch her face with the gloves on.

I'm sure you are very careful when dealing with packaging, but people do these things without even realising we're doing them. Safest option is to just not get anything sent to you.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1302
    I went out to the shops with my wife the other day, I went to the supermarket and she went to another shop. She insisted on wearing rubber gloves, I asked why as she could still pick up the virus on the gloves and transmit to her face - she said that the gloves would remind her not to/stop her touching her face. I finished in my shop first and watched her at the till in her shop and I saw her touch her face with the gloves on.

I'm sure you are very careful when dealing with packaging, but people do these things without even realising we're doing them. Safest option is to just not get anything sent to you.
    Apparently, for people who are not dealing with people actually sick with Covid, the biggest difference that face masks make is that they prevent/remind them to not touch their faces

I think whichever official came out with the advice to avoid touching our faces must have just said it without any consideration to how realistic the advice could be.

I doubt your wife is particularly weak willed, I would imagine that even the strictest of rule followers are constantly touching their face all day without even realising it.
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 908
    thegummy said:
    I would imagine that even the strictest of rule followers are constantly touching their face all day without even realising it.
    That's exactly what I was trying to highlight.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    thegummy said:
    I would imagine that even the strictest of rule followers are constantly touching their face all day without even realising it.
    That's exactly what I was trying to highlight.
    I know, I liked your post and was furthering the point / backing it up :)
  • MonstronautMonstronaut Frets: 193
    This thread has reminded me that i have a couple of collection only listings on ebay. I would imagine most collection only listings are set 'good til cancelled' . I'm not sure theres swathes of ebay sellers desperate to flout the social distancing measures.