COVID-19 I'm now in total isolation, so lots of building to do.

What's Hot

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    GSPBASSES said:
    Thanks for the comment @CasperCaster and @PeteC it’s always good to know what I write on the forum is appreciated.
    How about writing a book?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader
    No, any way Mr Hiscock has got it covered.

http://www.melvynhiscock.com/

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2020 tFB Trader

Now to shape the neck join on the first SG, you can see from the picture below how's the neck joint looks after the clamps have come off.

I do the first part of the shaping with the power file.

Then do the final shaping with sandpaper as shown earlier in this post.

The customer wants this neck joint to look similar to a Gibson. As I explained earlier in the post on the V-90 neck joints I try to avoid end grain to grain below the tenon joint. I've made this neck joint exactly the same as the V 90 but now I machine off a small flat. You can see my type of joint from this photo, now imagine when the guitar when painted will look similar to a Gibson neck joint and my type of joint will not be seen.

All I have to do, now to finish the guitar is rout the pickup pockets.

Relatively simple job I rout these by hand not on the pin router.

And then I F****D it up.

When I was routing the neck pickup, I didn't notice that the routing jig move slightly, not a lot, but enough that I will have to start again.

It is repairable, if built with the Bat Wing pickguard the repair will not be seen, So at the end of the summer I will fit the bindings fret it then sell it off as a “B” grade, or before if I have time.

So tomorrow I start on the next SG that’s having 3 P90s, when this is finished I'll start again on the first SG.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    the last 4 photos are gold, seeing it come together, really interesting.
    TTony said:
    Your wood store is going to look empty when we’re finished with lockdown!

@TTony Oh no it won't, A few photos for you to give you an idea of what's in stock at the moment, plus there is at least  20 Les Paul body blanks and flamed maple caps plus the neck blanks out at DD’s

The Les Pauls and the flying V’s due to be made early next year, on top is Red Alder for the RB6T’s to be made soon. On the lower shelve are some Les Paul flame maple caps. Along from the Red Alder are two SG’s one Walnut with a flame Maple veneer top and a Mahogany SG with a flamed Maple veneer top.

Rosewood for TC bodies.

Flamed Maple caps.

Swamp Ash for what ever.

More Red Alder

Black Korina I got today from DD for Les Pauls, stupidly expensive.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4149
    ^ That Black Korina is bloody lovely though, I’m sure it’s worth it!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27638
    And you were talking of retiring @GSPBASSES ;
    ;)

Doesn’t look like that’s going to happen this year, or next year, or ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Wow.  
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    Why retire when people pay you to pursue your hobby
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Roland said:
    Why retire when people pay you to pursue your hobby
    To be honest it was a hobby 50 odd years ago but now It’s a way of life.

TTony said:
    And you were talking of retiring @GSPBASSES ;;

Doesn’t look like that’s going to happen this year, or next year, or ...
    I wish I could retire, but the disaster in my house last year almost wiped me out financially.

GSPBASSES said:

I wish I could retire, but the disaster in my house last year almost wiped me out financially.
    Ouch
    :(

I'd assumed that insurance would cover the damage and repairs.
    Very sorry to hear that.  I hope the outlook is better for you now.  
    tFB Trader
    The insurance company did pay out, but only for anything that was damaged by the water and the cost of removing the asbestos, and for the cost of drying the house out, the pay out was quite generous. But unfortunately half the kitchen was water damage it was impossible to match the old kitchen with new, so a new kitchen had to be fitted. The water problem was a leaking copper pipe under the concrete floor, the floor was dug up and the pipe repaired. I was advised to remove all the copper pipe that was running under the concrete floors, and replaced with plastic pipe. This was obviously going to save any problems in the future but unfortunately the insurance company would not pay for this. This involved having all the radiators removed throughout the ground floor and having new pipework fitted above ground, fortunately all of this could be hidden behind the kitchen cupboards. Then pipes were put through the wall from the kitchen into the dining room living room and hallway, connected up to the new radiators. All the hot and cold water pipes also dug up and re-replace with plastic, again insurance company would not pay for this. 
    The biggest shock of all when I tried to hire kitchen fitters to fit a new kitchen, they all said they unable to fit a new kitchen because the power supply to the kitchen was out of date, and a new board had to be fitted, new cable across the house. all new power points, new power line for the electric cooker.. Apparently they have to issue a certificate to say that the gas and electric was up to the new standard. That might of been a load of old bollocks but all the companies said the same thing, so they got you over a barrel.

Mustn’t complain I’m in reasonably good health,  I own my house, I have a little pension and I can earn a few quid making guitars.

When COVID-19 as gone, I shall take out some equity release, grow my hair long, put a bandanna round my head, put on my pink Flared jeans and sandals, drive off into the sunset in my VW camper van. 

More like go to America, buy myself a Harley, ride up and down Route 66.

Or better still get the equity release stay at home and have ladies of the night call on me regularly.

But I think it will be, when I‘m carry me off in my box I’ll still be holding a router.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    edited June 2020
    Glad you got sorted. Apparently power & gas in kitchens and bathrooms require a certificate. I'm a "competent" person to do electrics but couldn't legally add a socket in my kitchen when I had it redone. What was even more galling was the burning smell a year or so later being caused by a load of arcing in the back of the new socket because the neutral wire wasn't screwed in tight enough. Luckily I caught it before it actually caught fire.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    GSPBASSES said:

When COVID-19 as gone, I shall take out some equity release, grow my hair long, put a bandanna round my head, put on my pink Flared jeans and sandals, drive off into the sunset in my VW camper van. 

More like go to America, buy myself a Harley, ride up and down Route 66.

Or better still get the equity release stay at home and have ladies of the night call on me regularly.

But I think it will be, when I‘m carry me off in my box I’ll still be holding a router.
    There's some great advice above.
    Sorry to read the complete story there Graham - that was a fair bit more involved that I’d realised.

Understand why you’re back at work!

I reckon you’d get bored on Route 66 ... and Harleys are pretty uncomfortable (my sister has one - or two). 

But can’t really argue with the equity release and “lady companions” suggestion.  If you found one who was handy with a router, perhaps you’d get through that stock of wood a bit quicker ....

:D
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You seem pretty switched on @GSPBASSES ;and obviously a resilient guy. 

Would be great to see your workshop set up if you have time to share some pics sometime. 
    tFB Trader

PeteC said:
    You seem pretty switched on @GSPBASSES and obviously a resilient guy. 

Would be great to see your workshop set up if you have time to share some pics sometime. 

I'm not sure seeing inside my workshops a good idea, it's certainly not a good example of how to keep your work area clean and tidy. I have found a few photos so judge for yourself.

I did re-fit one end of the workshop a few years ago, built into the bench is a router used mainly for cutting banding channels on necks. The two Trend routers in the bottom of the cupboard are used for cutting Truss rod channels, the other one has a 9.5 mm bit for routing pick up pockets that can't be done on the pin router.

This is the workhorse of my workshop, a Trend T10 router mounted in a homemade overhead pin router setup. It really needs a more substantial motor, the type you get on industrial CNC routers, I managed to kill these T10s about every three years. I have tried virtually every heavy duty router on the market most of them die even quicker, quite a few cannot be mounted this way up, there okay on a router table but not as a pin router.

I'm sure I could be a lot more efficient if I tidy up once in a while.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    GSPBASSES said:

I'm sure I could be a lot more efficient if I tidy up once in a while.

It usually takes me ages to find stuff again, whenever I have a tidy up.
    ;)

I have a clear out every autumn though - make a few boxes of kindling to see us through the winter.