Fully hollow and carved Les Paul

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16722
    PhilKing said:
    That looks great on the guitar Wez.  I hope that you still have it when I can come an try it out!  I'm not back there until Christmas, by which time I hope the lockdown has ended (as I want to bring you a couple of things :) )
    Gives me an excuse to hold onto it for a while ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Looks really good  :)
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    If you fancy making another one, then I'm up for it, though I would like one thing different, I'd like the pickup in the middle, same as the Gibson single pickup semi's.  I know that would involve some additional work, since there isn't a block there, but I just like that look. Oh, and the pickup could be a black dogear staple, which might make it a bit easier.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3220
    PhilKing said:
    If you fancy making another one, then I'm up for it, though I would like one thing different, I'd like the pickup in the middle, same as the Gibson single pickup semi's.  I know that would involve some additional work, since there isn't a block there, but I just like that look. Oh, and the pickup could be a black dogear staple, which might make it a bit easier.
    I think you are onto something there, that’d be cool as. 
    I like the idea.   I am tempted to go spruce top and sycamore back on the next one I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    That pickguard looks great - worth the search for the right material.    These archtops look like a while extra level of skills   How many have you done Wez ? 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    PeteC said:
    That pickguard looks great - worth the search for the right material.    These archtops look like a while extra level of skills   How many have you done Wez ? 
    This is the first carved hollow one.  I also made a thinline a few years back with similar construction, but thin plates like a normal acoustic

To be honest, this is the first time in years my head has been in the right space for it
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 538
    WezV said:
    gotta say, i'm really happy with this tort.  i made a bevelled edge guard and truss rod cover.  still needs  a final polish as I hand buff them to remove the shiny new look

That looks stunning.  Your bursts really are fantastic looking.  Really like the guard too. 
    SteveF said:
     Your bursts really are fantastic looking.  
    Thanks,  it still has some imperfections. 

I tend to build up my bursts in multiple light layers as i'm just not that great at doing a burst in one shot. Turns out the multiple light tints i use to work around my poorer technique gives a nice traditional look.   

The main issue here was the darkest layer was a bit too splattery, and its not fully hidden by the other tints... but it looks greats is, so i'm not feeling the need to re-do.   Wonder if i can claim its vintage accurate splatter  :D 

In other news,   I have ordered 3  European Spruce archtop tops based on the success of this build.
    That sounds great Wez.  What difference do you the spruce will make in the sound, or is it just that it's more traditional?
    PhilKing said:
    That sounds great Wez.  What difference do you the spruce will make in the sound, or is it just that it's more traditional?
    Definitely tradition, but its a traditional choice for a reason. 

From a  purely acoustic point of view, it will be louder and sound fuller.  The spruce will move more air as it has a better stiffness to weight ratio.   

Obviously that needs to be balanced with other decisions such as the bracing and F-hole dimensions as neither will help the acoustic tone on this build... not that it sounds bad unplugged, but those f-holes are far too narrow to get any real projection from it.   Sounds great to the player, but wont fill the room

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    WezV said:
    I like the idea.   I am tempted to go spruce top and sycamore back on the next one I think.
    I have no scientific basis for my suggestion but for the one after that I think English Walnut would go well with European Spruce.
    PhilKing said:
    Agree about the mid positioned one. 

I'd also like to see one with a Johnny Smith at the neck (one of G's best sounding pickups IMO) and it'd make routing issues a little more straightforward.

WezV said:
    PhilKing said:
    Obviously that needs to be balanced with other decisions such as the bracing and F-hole dimensions as neither will help the acoustic tone on this build... not that it sounds bad unplugged, but those f-holes are far too narrow to get any real projection from it.   Sounds great to the player, but wont fill the room
    So would you think about scaling up the body size a bit?  Maybe a bit like the Ibanez GB10 (14 3/4").  Do you think the acoustic sound will help with the electric sound (perhaps with sustain?).
    maybe, i'm certainly a fan of the GB10.  I'm also considering a full size archtop, but might play about with the small bodied idea a bit more first

Sustain is pretty great on this already, i think i would actually lose some with a spruce top and smaller neck block.  Feedback resistance should also be better with the sycamore top

tbh, part of my thoughts are how to define this thing I have built.   Its not strictly electric or acoustic and not like most of the other hybrids  out there.   most of the guitars which are similar are using hollowed out solid bodies, more like 335 style centre block and laminates, or are proper archtop acoustics... mine doesn't quite fit in either category, but could easily be pushed in one of those directions
    You've created your own niche product!  I'm sure it sounds great, so perhaps this is the way to go for the others too.
    You may be right
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I follow all your build as they are some of the best but I think you have outdone yourself with this one cracking looking guitar. 
    The pickguard material is great did you post a link to the stuff you used as image a few of us would like to add that in as a pickguard. 

Again nice work
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3220
    Would love to try this. I think the aspect of it being ‘its own thing’ is just awesome, a nod to the past without being dominated by it.
    I follow all your build as they are some of the best but I think you have outdone yourself with this one cracking looking guitar. 
    The pickguard material is great did you post a link to the stuff you used as image a few of us would like to add that in as a pickguard. 

Again nice work
    There is a link further up the page with some stock pics of the sheet material.   It's a good price compared to a lot of the tort out there.

Would love to try this. I think the aspect of it being ‘its own thing’ is just awesome, a nod to the past without being dominated by it.
    Thanks, I like to think that's the way I build.   I am happy with the way its gone and know it  will be a great guitar.  Just aware it will make it a harder sell to the average guitarist as it doesn't fit neatly in a known category.

I was trying to describe it to a guy I am doing some repairs for the other day and he just didn't get it.  I don't think we got him past seeing it as a thinline Les Paul with missing pickup 
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    WezV said:
    SteveF said:
     Your bursts really are fantastic looking.  
    Thanks,  it still has some imperfections. 

It’s a hand built, hand finished one-off. It’s supposed to have imperfections... Or, as us (potentially) paying punters say “character”...

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...