Fully hollow and carved Les Paul

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    normula1 said:
    That's stunning. Does it actually need a pickguard?
    Yes!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    got some knob making material.  this is a 1" imitation tortoiseshell turning blank.

it has the advantage of already being the right diameter for a guitar knob, just a bit smaller than a speed knob size

I have some brass inserts with set-screws on the way from here
    https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/knob-insert-for-diy-knobs/

i will cut off some slices of the right depth, drill for the inserts, mount on a stick, then turn to final shape and polish on the drill press
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    that's a great solution - and looks like an absolutely perfect match. 
    had a quick play and managed to make a torty knob very quickly.   might not be right for this so i will start a new thread with the method and more pics

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader
    Lovely stuff Wez, the burst colour's great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    Ingenious knob solution! Whole build looks great. Also, thanks for the etsy tip - some great craft stuff on there, suitable for guitar making...
    www.theflyingacesband.com
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    I think the guitar looks better without the pickguard.  Either way, top class work.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

the plastics from etsy have turned up, and i'm rather happy.  the tort looks as good as any of the options out there.  the other one looks like marble, which I am sure will come in handy for something at some point

white backing really shows the pattern

doesnt quite match the knobs, but they my still work together... i will decide on that later

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Looks great.  Would a dark greenish tint on the back of the tort help match the knobs? 

Inspired by your build I’ve ordered the Benedetto  book to learn about archtops.   
    Yeah, I think the knobs will get dark paint on the back and inside anyway so I don't think it will be massively out when done... But if it looks bad I will just revert to standard options
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Amazing stuff! 

The home made knobs will be a great touch. I'm wondering what they look like next to the other material. Are the colours not closer?
    nothing a coat of amber wouldn't sort, but that material wont be used for this, it was just an impulse buy

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Ah yeah I see it now. Thanks for posting  :)
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6879
    WezV said:
    the plastics from etsy have turned up, and i'm rather happy.  the tort looks as good as any of the options out there.  the other one looks like marble, which I am sure will come in handy for something at some point

white backing really shows the pattern

doesnt quite match the knobs, but they my still work together... i will decide on that later

Ooh, I want some of that tort style to make a cabronita style scratchplate for my acoustasonic tele. Do you have a link to the source?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    WezV said:
    i have a couple of other options coming.  I will make a guard out of each and see what i prefer

this

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/554592754/3mm-w204-blown-and-dark-brown-marble?ref=shop_home_active_24&frs=1

and this

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/240113210/3mm-w308-dark-brown-white-and-drown?ref=shop_home_active_25&frs=1&crt=1

will see how the sheets look when they arrive and put this decision off for now

Page 8 ;)
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6879
    Thanks, I didn’t scroll back far enough! 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2020
    gotta say, i'm really happy with this tort.  i made a bevelled edge guard and truss rod cover.  still needs  a final polish as I hand buff them to remove the shiny new look

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    That looks great on the guitar Wez.  I hope that you still have it when I can come an try it out!  I'm not back there until Christmas, by which time I hope the lockdown has ended (as I want to bring you a couple of things :) )
  • JGTayJGTay Frets: 210
    Looking really good Wez, much prefer the new pick guard. Makes a big difference :) 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27610
    WezV said:

Thats looks a much better match to my eye.

Nice find - and nice work of course!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.