Nice feature by Trogly:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • greggreg66greggreg66 Frets: 503
    enjo said:
    Nice feature by Trogly:

Just clicked on that vid too!! Nice!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    Yeah, I mentioned it in the FS thread.  Basically someone messaged me at the weekend thinking my guitar had been featured.

Trogly had done a fancier version of this as a joke for April fools this year.... eerily similar in many ways  except the silly features he added as part of the joke.   He then featured a Slaman guitar which was a similar look, but actually a solid body with CC pickups.

So I messaged him this thinking he would be interested. 

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    That’s one of the nicest looking guitars I’ve ever seen. 
    i think it plays pretty well too.... just gotta get some people actually having a go on it
  • Construction isn’t exactly the same but closely related! I think you’ll know what this is Wez. 

Nope.... but with a stud tailpiece I assume its more solid than my version
  • Correct! This is Melvyn’s Doris
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Just seen this and thought of this guitar
    1950 Gibson ES-140, 3/4 sized guitar with fully hollow body and a single ‘Dog Ear’ P90 pickup in the neck position. Pix from Rumble Seat Music

Thread bump.

It sold about 18 months ago.   Sadly it came back to me a few months later.  First, it developed a truss rod rattle, which I resolved, Then the buyer seemed to realise it wasn't going to work for the project he had in mind and rpeorted some other niggles.  When I didn't see a happy ending, I gave a refund and took the guitar back. 

Its pretty hard to have a guitar you are really proud of returned, but onwards and upwards. I put it away and focused on other things for a bit. 

Anyway, I eventually revisited the other week and decided to swap out the floating bridge for a direct mounted Tune-o-matic.   I used nashville style studs to spread the load on the top.  It's quite thick in this location anyway, and the braces help take up the strain.   I also finally got rid of the 13 gauge strings that had been put on and got it back up to standard pitch.

I finally like it again.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27610
    edited July 2023
    You thinking of keeping it now?

It's a niche guitar, but got a lot of love originally IIRC.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    I think so.   I'm not sure really, just happy to have it playing how I want again for now

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    WezV said:
    Thread bump.

It sold about 18 months ago.   Sadly it came back to me a few months later.  First, it developed a truss rod rattle, which I resolved, Then the buyer seemed to realise it wasn't going to work for the project he had in mind and rpeorted some other niggles.  When I didn't see a happy ending, I gave a refund and took the guitar back. 

Its pretty hard to have a guitar you are really proud of returned, but onwards and upwards. I put it away and focused on other things for a bit. 

Anyway, I eventually revisited the other week and decided to swap out the floating bridge for a direct mounted Tune-o-matic.   I used nashville style studs to spread the load on the top.  It's quite thick in this location anyway, and the braces help take up the strain.   I also finally got rid of the 13 gauge strings that had been put on and got it back up to standard pitch.

I finally like it again.

I always liked this one, @WezV ;  Good that you also like it again :)
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    I liked it when I played it at your house @WezV ;

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Shame the buyer didn’t stick with it @WezV

I always really liked this build and it inspired me to crack on with one of my own I was having some trouble with at the time 
    Sometimes people play safe and stick to the norm rather than going with something unique and special. 

Hope it finds a new home eventually, or you keep it as an example of your skill. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2023
    I've finally found the last bit of sympathetic vibration.  It wasn't one that amplified, but was there acoustically on some notes and bugging me. 

You could hear it if tapping the neck block area of the guitar, so obviously I focused on neck and pickup with previous attempts to resolve..  i  have also checked the tuners, pots, pickguard, wiring and bridge at various points, even double checked the internal woodwork was still solid.  I hate chasing the buzzes.

It was the tailpiece.   Doesn't sound like its coming from it, but it occurs quite audibly if you flick it.  What's more, the same tailpiece on my other version of the design does the same thing if flicked, but thankfully not when played normally.  I think the lower break angle contributes to it here.

I've put a strip of hard foam under for now, and it's instantly cured it.  Taken it in and out a few times and tried different positioning to confirm.   I was concerned it would affect acoustic tone, but the opposite seems to be true.

There is a reason many archtop players put some kind of mute between bridge and tailpiece!!

I think this is the best solution.  I have a similar pad under the pickguard already

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283

Archtops and rattles, eh? It's weird how they sometimes seem to be coming from a completely unsuspected place. My last one turned out to be the neck pickup in my Gibson. Fixed it by jamming a bit of plectrum down against the pickup. It was one of those a temporary measures that end up sucessfully doing the job for years :-).

Pickup covers are usually one of the first things I check as my first proper guitar had a vibrating cover, crudely solved with some blue tack underneath nearly 30 years ago

I did think it could be the issue here as there are so many parts in this pickup.  The old staples can be prone to issues, but the mojo version is nice and solid. 

It's not as frustrating as the time I thought my amp had a rattle, which turned out to be the glass front of an old gas fire a few feet away.