2»

Comments

• usedtobe said:
    Sweeeet!

Why thank you. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27570
    Ahhh (followed across from your other thread), nice!

I've been looking for a project LP with a plain maple cap for a while, to try to create something like this;

So, with that in mind, my vote for your finish goes to Osmo white stain for the top, false binding, and then the Crimson cherry red with a hint of black for the back & sides.

That way,  if you've left any of the previous finish on the back/sides  - where it's more likely to be as the grain filler will fill more of the mahogany back/sides than the maple top - it shouldn't be so obvious underneath the similarly coloured Crimson finish.

That's my 2p's worth.
    :)

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:

I've been looking for a project LP with a plain maple cap for a while, to try to create something like this;

So, with that in mind, my vote for your finish goes to Osmo white stain for the top, false binding, and then the Crimson cherry red with a hint of black for the back & sides.

That way,  if you've left any of the previous finish on the back/sides  - where it's more likely to be as the grain filler will fill more of the mahogany back/sides than the maple top - it shouldn't be so obvious underneath the similarly coloured Crimson finish.

That's my 2p's worth.

And your address to post it to is..? :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:

That's my 2p's worth.

And your address to post it to is..? :)
    LOLz
    :D 

You’ve done all* the hard work now ...

(* obviously, not really all of it, but I was being encouraging)
  • @TTony :) Well, it’d be a shame to quit at this point I guess. Btw, I couldn’t see the photo in your post above and also, any idea what the black residue is on the maple? It doesn’t look like grain filler to me but I can’t seem to shift it. 
    Link to missing pic ...
    https://www.ecwid.com/store/guitarhangar/Mick-Ronson-Tribute-Gibson-Les-Paul-p13715360

Does the black residue follow the grain pattern on the maple?  If so, I’d guess that it’s paint (or paint prep) that’s been “sucked into” the open grain in the wood.

But people like @WezV  or @Andyjr1515  are way more expert than me, so they might know the real reason!
  • @TTony Ah, I should have realised. You now have me thinking about a black back :)  The black does follow the grain so your theory could well be correct. It’s making me hesitant about a light finish in case it shows through so all advice gratefully received. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16686
    You should be able to get a light finish still.
     It looks like it would suit it.

Give the top a good rub down with thinners if you have residue on it.    

Don't start finishing untill you are sure you only have wood.   You can check by giving it a wipe down with a damp cloth.   It will raise the grain on raw wood, but not any areas that still have finish on them.   You can then rub down with a fine grit to get a super smooth piece of maple ready for finishing

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2529
    I'd finish that top with a wax. One with a bit of a darker tint to it. That will come up lovely 
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    WezV said:
    You should be able to get a light finish still.
     It looks like it would suit it.

Give the top a good rub down with thinners if you have residue on it.    

Don't start finishing untill you are sure you only have wood.   You can check by giving it a wipe down with a damp cloth.   It will raise the grain on raw wood, but not any areas that still have finish on them.   You can then rub down with a fine grit to get a super smooth piece of maple ready for finishing
    ^ This 
  • @WezV @Andyjr1515 Thanks, I have tried the damp cloth trick once already and it didn’t seem to make a difference, maybe a stronger thinner than Mrs V’s nail polish remover is a wise move :)
  • @lovestrat74 Wax is something I haven’t tried before, any not so obvious do’s and dont’s?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16686
    @WezV @Andyjr1515 Thanks, I have tried the damp cloth trick once already and it didn’t seem to make a difference, maybe a stronger thinner than Mrs V’s nail polish remover is a wise move :)
    Yeah, definitely try something a little stronger.   That residue may be the conditioners in the nail polish remover
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2529
    @lovestrat74 Wax is something I haven’t tried before, any not so obvious do’s and dont’s?
    Well i just oiled my Tele and then waxed it with fiddies (old pine I think, as it had a slightly darker tint than natural wax) which really made the grain pop.