NGD - The heaviest neck in the world

What's Hot
antonyivantonyiv Frets: 304
edited May 2020 in Guitar

Looks good, doesn't it? But the neck is heavy as hell. Any ideas how to fix it?

In-depth review coming soon. 
0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JackobeanJackobean Frets: 668
    Buy a different guitar?
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24780
    The neck isn't heavy.

Neck dive is a well known problem for that shape because of the strap button placement.

Unless you want to add weights to the body to balance it out there is nothing you can do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 304
    Jackobean said:
    Buy a different guitar?
    Or replacing the Robo system with lighter tuners and adding a tremolo to increase the weight of the body? 

Your suggestion is still valid if I can't fix that neck dive. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2020
    antonyiv said:
    Jackobean said:
    Buy a different guitar?
    Or replacing the Robo system with lighter tuners and adding a tremolo to increase the weight of the body? 

Your suggestion is still valid if I can't fix that neck dive. 
    Definitely remove the Robo system and replace with the lightest tuners you can find. Hipshot or Grovers etc.

Sometimes a Trem only changes things a little because of the amount of wood that you need to remove to fit it, and the TOM bridge you already have is quite heavy too. Won't help as much as you think.

Adding a trem will also kill the resale value if you still don't like it.

Now imagine it was the bass with a far longer neck...

Firebirds are lovely looking but I'd never have one because of the neck dive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Firebirds are lovely looking but I'd never have one because of the neck dive.
    I guess you are smarter than me...

I was scared of the neck position because many people complain that the neck is too much to the left. And it is but it takes a bit of playing to adjust to. It is kinda similar to a SG. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8831
    A self-erecting crane?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JerkMoans said:
    A self-erecting crane?
    "Trust me, I'm an engineer" type of post. :)
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Sky-hook?
    mbe said:
    Sky-hook?
    Too expensive, maybe I should just buy a rope and hang it around the neck. 30 minutes before a gig I will arrive on the location just to check the ceiling and tie my rope somewhere there. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    Helium balloons tied to the machine heads?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Helium balloons tied to the machine heads?
    Cheapest option so far. Thanks! Do you know if I can brand them with Gibson logo?
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4298
    Hold the neck with your left hand.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    CloudNine said:
    I did that for 5 minutes and now my hand hurts. Maybe I should start going to the gym more often after the quarantine? 
    edited May 2020
    antonyiv said:
    CloudNine said:
    I did that for 5 minutes and now my hand hurts. Maybe I should start going to the gym more often after the quarantine? 
    In that case, my other suggestion involves a series of powerful magnets, but I haven't quite finalised the design yet. Will get back to you asap.
    CloudNine said:
    antonyiv said:
    CloudNine said:
    In that case, my other suggestion involves a series of powerful magnets, but I haven't quite finalised the design yet. Will get back to you asap.
    Please design them properly, I don't want the guitars of the other band members to be lifted just because mine has a problem. 
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1655
    Big, thick, grippy, suede strap helps. Also, my SG I sling more to the right rather than out in front. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    antonyiv said:
    CloudNine said:
    antonyiv said:
    CloudNine said:
    Please design them properly, I don't want the guitars of the other band members to be lifted just because mine has a problem. 
    Maybe too late in the design to accommodate these new requirements, Probably going to need to ask them to buy Firebirds as well..
    Strap round the headstock like a folk player?

Hold on - it's a gibson. The headstock will snap off.

Don't do that.

(I do have to say though - what a spectacular colour!)

Mike Lull basses have managed to make a firebird that doesn't neck dive - heavier woods for the body, super light mahogany for the neck, slightly larger body too.

Bass only though, alas.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1505
    Some people move the strap to the middle of the neck heel, but I've never really had a problem with my Firebirds, though I do use suede backed straps and all mine have either banjo or Steinberger gearless tuners (https://forum.gibson.com/topic/92424-steinberger-gearless-tuners-on-firebird-better-balance/).  It is a great colour btw.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    CloudNine said:
    antonyiv said:
    CloudNine said:
    antonyiv said:
    CloudNine said:
    Maybe too late in the design to accommodate these new requirements, Probably going to need to ask them to buy Firebirds as well..
    That sounds like a plan! Please take the individual preference of each band member in terms of position of the neck and then calculate the optimal weight of a Firebird. Based on this recommendation we will buy only Firebirds with that specific weight.