• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24787
    antonyiv said:
    CloudNine said:
    antonyiv said:
    CloudNine said:
    antonyiv said:
    CloudNine said:
    Hold the neck with your left hand.
    I did that for 5 minutes and now my hand hurts. Maybe I should start going to the gym more often after the quarantine? 
    In that case, my other suggestion involves a series of powerful magnets, but I haven't quite finalised the design yet. Will get back to you asap.
    Please design them properly, I don't want the guitars of the other band members to be lifted just because mine has a problem. 
    Maybe too late in the design to accommodate these new requirements, Probably going to need to ask them to buy Firebirds as well..
    That sounds like a plan! Please take the individual preference of each band member in terms of position of the neck and then calculate the optimal weight of a Firebird. Based on this recommendation we will buy only Firebirds with that specific weight. 
    A European Firebird or an African Firebird?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6156
    How about one of those strap holder extension arms? Seen them on basses occ., don’t know if they can be purchased or if you need to make it yourself but it isn’t a complicated item - basically the strap button is on the end of a metal rod, usually 3-5ins long approx.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4213
    I always use wide heavy leather straps, stops any guitar moving about too much and also distributes weight easier on shoulder. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2020
    Like so...

4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 304
    JezWynd said:
    Like so...

I love Hamers But this looks like my wife got angry, drilled it, left the nail and ran. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 687
    Allen Collins of Lynyrd Skynyrd. He had the answer.

I have a ‘bird, with banjo tuners and tbh I never even notice the neck dive.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 687
    That’s glorious. When I was looking for a bird it was either sunburst (a la Skynyrd) or Pelham blue (a la Rival Sons) I was after. A burst came up first but I still want a blue one. Hate you!
    antonyiv said:

Looks good, doesn't it? But the neck is heavy as hell. Any ideas how to fix it?

In-depth review coming soon. 

antonyiv said:
    JezWynd said:
    Like so...
    I love Hamers But this looks like my wife got angry, drilled it, left the nail and ran. 
    Yeah, that method does look overly invasive, hence finding a pic that shows less drastic surgery. As it’s not being drilled into a horn, I think the method should work okay.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72956
    Firebirds look and sound so cool that every time one comes into the shop I play it, just to see if Newton was wrong and the laws of physics have somehow mysteriously reversed themselves since the last time, but so far I've been disappointed...

A lyre Vibrola and Steinberger tuners do help, but not enough. It's not just the balance, it's the neck position - it's just way too far to the left.

Oddly, I can get on OK with Thunderbirds as long as they have smaller tuners than the original Kluson cloverleafs. I think it's because the tailpiece is so far back I can rest my right arm on the body edge and not end up picking behind the bridge.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4233
    That is a stunning looking guitar! However, apart from the suggestion of helium balloons (which I was beaten to) I have nothing.

Re. your question though, no you can't brand them Gibson as they won't be orfentic. If you do, Mark Agnesi will come to your house and burst them 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    17mins point on this made me smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRvKnjGHuI4
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12452
    A strap button halfway down the neck will sort it
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72956
    A strap button halfway down the neck will sort it
    I've actually seen that done :).

Luckily it was only on an Avon SG copy - the body was about 3/4" thick so it was even more unbalanced than they usually are. Whether intentionally or just because they couldn't drill the hole in the middle of the neck accurately, they'd missed the truss rod too!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 548
    Scantily clad assistant to hold and support headstock in appropriate place. Proper showbiz.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4213
    Just buy a grippy leather strap, it won’t move 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1198
    Yeah, honestly the easiest solution is a suede-type strap. The seatbelt one you have on there right now is the slippiest material known to man. I had a bass for a while with mad neck dive and a grippy strap took care of it. It did hang heavier on my left shoulder rather than spread the weight over my back as normal, and I had to make sure I wasn't wearing loose clothes but it did work pretty well and I didn't have to alter the bass in any way.
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1641
    edited May 2020
    17mins point on this made me smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRvKnjGHuI4
    Don't fight the physics .. just go with it..

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5030
    Don't care about the neck. Don't care about the weight. Don't care about the dive. That is bloody lovely. 
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1392
    the non-reverse shape is much better balanced. it's still very unwieldy, due to the extraneous length of the guitar, but doesn't sink to the floor like the reverse shape (or most SGs)
  • grayngrayn Frets: 925
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom