Video Editor

What's Hot
Who uses what video editor? 
I've been using Cyberlink for ages now but the audio output is POOR. 
I'd consider using a new editor but it has to be simple to use (I don't want to need a PhD to use the thing) and not too expensive.
Recommendations?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10410

I've done 3 videos since lockdown with Videopad Pro .... which cost about £30. It allows multilane video, loads of audio tracks and supports VST effects etc.

I'm an amateur but I basically got good results dumping clips on the time line, syncing them up to the good audio and then muting the original camera audio so the sound was great quality

I mean it's not Final Cut but for £30 it's pretty bloody good  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4099
    edited June 2020
    Davinci resolve 16 free

Loads of tutorials on it
    Once you get your head around working with nodes it becomes really easy and intuitive. 
    Export is fast
    Tons of free features

I used to use Hitfilm Express which was also excellent but I found the export much slower. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Thanks, folks - I will follow up on all recommendations, trust me!
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Final Cut Pro... about as good as you can get.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    edited May 2020
    Davinci Resolve is a no-brainer if you want something cheap/free.
    It can be crashy with some systems.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    BTW note I'm on Windows
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    BTW note I'm on Windows
    Ahhh... in that case get a Mac and fcp :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    :P 

Honestly I spent money on Cyberlink ages ago but the audio just comes out distorted. I read this is an issue. Maybe a small upgrade (if cheap) will resolve it but I'm sure there are maybe better editors out there. Will check in on this thread later - thanks in advance everybody.
  • Davinci Resolve 16 - it does everything you want, has amazing colour correction etc. and it's free...

Right this is sounding unanimous...
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    Davinci Resolve 16 - it does everything you want, has amazing colour correction etc. and it's free...
    I tried davinci on a couple of decent specced machines and everytime i opened it , it was telling me certain system files were missing etc and no clues how to sort out. I tried video pad and have been delighted, made several videos recently and was only £70 for the top package.
    Turns out it wasn't the audio editor (that I'm aware of, anyway) creating distortion. I listened to the raw audio more closely and there's a bit of string buzz. On recordings with mic right up to guitar, it does pick it up. The video editor seems to amplify the noise a bit, but it's actually there. With mic placed further away, it doesn't really pick it up. I've been using an SM58 to record the guitar. I think if it's placed too far away, it's not going to record very much...! Man... keyboardists do not have these problems..!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited June 2020
    When I Google Davinci Resolve 16 (and Reaper for that matter) I notice it takes me to the nchsoftware site.

And it offers VideoPad, (mentioned by @Danny1969 and @midlifecrisis ;;)
     as an alternative to Davinci Resolve 16. 

Just a heads up:
    A very long time ago I downloaded some nchsoftware (can't remember what it was) on a previous computer and, whilst IIRC the software was OK, it came with bloatware that leeched onto other software on my computer. It wasn't harmful but it was bloody annoying and I couldn't get rid of it. Maybe it's not so bad now, but since that bad experience I've always been very wary of anything associated with nchsofware. Perhaps others have had better, more recent, experiences and can tell me that I can relax about it now. Or maybe it's just necessary to be very careful about the selections you make when installing it.

It would be good to know it's OK now because VideoPad appears to be good software.

It's not a competition.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    ive had no issues with videopad leeching bloatware yet. been using it only 3 months but happy with it
    ive had no issues with videopad leeching bloatware yet. been using it only 3 months but happy with it

Ok thanks for that. Maybe I'll try it.

It's not a competition.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I've used Reaper for a few Playalong videos on YouTube. Very limited, but serves my purpose.
  • I use Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X, and DaVinci Resolve.

Bye!

edited June 2020
    I've used Reaper for a few Playalong videos on YouTube. Very limited, but serves my purpose.

I have problems aligning my videos with my audio in Reaper. I record the video using my Logitech video camera software then drag thefile into Reaper and attempt to align it with the audio I've recorded on Reaper. I can get it close but it never looks quite right.

It's not a competition.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Adobe Elements...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 

Ok thanks for that. Maybe I'll try it.

Installed Videopad now and no issues.

I can record directly from my webcam within VideoPad. But I don't appear to be able to do that with Davinci Resolve 16, unless I'm missing something.

It's not a competition.