Video Editor

What's Hot

Comments

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I am slowly learning Da Vinci Resolve 16 and I’m impressed. I’m not sure how the free version differs from the paid version. I wouldn’t say it’s intuitive as it’s jam packed with features (3000 page manual). Fortunately, YouTube provides all the tutorials you need. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26586
    lukedlb said:
    I am slowly learning Da Vinci Resolve 16 and I’m impressed. I’m not sure how the free version differs from the paid version. I wouldn’t say it’s intuitive as it’s jam packed with features (3000 page manual). Fortunately, YouTube provides all the tutorials you need. 
    One of the big differences - on Linux, at least - is that it's really picky about the file formats it'll accept for importing clips. I have to transcode all of mine to MJPEG before it'll take them (that's the quickest transcode...there are others, like DNxHD, but they take hours to convert).

I only use basics, like colour grading (I've got a cheap colour chart that it has a preset for) and audio sync, but it's brilliant and pretty easy to use once you get your head around it.
    <space for hire>
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    edited June 2020
    Sorry to hijack, but does the Da Vinci Resolve thing allow you to trim the video at beginning and end? Ie, if my video shows me pressing record and then stop, I could truncate it so the viewer doesn't get to see me close up to camera and walking about?

Edit, sorry a quick google later and i've found it. More haste = less brain
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • You can also edit video in Blender. But it's really meant for 3D.

Bye!

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited June 2020
    I use Movari .. easy to use, great feature set and lots of positive reviews and awards. There's a free version or a pro version for £55.

Just download the free version and have a play - there are some great tutorial videos but you'll find you'll master the basics in about 30 minutes. It has some great effects as well.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I had a lot of success using Reaper doing some video presentations for my degree, There's not much Reaper can't do well.
    It costs nothing to try it, and there is a lot of stuff out there to explain how it all works.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    I tried to use that Da Vinci one tonight and it completely crashed my memory and wouldn't play anything. However I think it might be either me or the computer that's the problem as I can't get anything to flipping work now! I only want to align my audio recording with a video of me playing it!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5373
    Aside:

@stratman3142 ; Clap sync, makes it way easier to do the align. I'm a total noob with this, but a couple of YT tutorials was all it took.

Basically, have a count in, then after a bar do a big clap on 1, wait another bar and start playing. Do that on video and audio sources, and if you're not videoing the audio at the same time, as it were, use a metronome/click to keep tempo.

In Reaper the clap gives a nice big spike, and you either change the snap point to the start of the clap on the video (there's an action) or just turn off snap to grid and eyeball it.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    Snags said:
    Aside:

@stratman3142 ; Clap sync, makes it way easier to do the align. I'm a total noob with this, but a couple of YT tutorials was all it took.

Basically, have a count in, then after a bar do a big clap on 1, wait another bar and start playing. Do that on video and audio sources, and if you're not videoing the audio at the same time, as it were, use a metronome/click to keep tempo.

In Reaper the clap gives a nice big spike, and you either change the snap point to the start of the clap on the video (there's an action) or just turn off snap to grid and eyeball it.
    Thanks for that. Now you mention it I think I've heard that (possibly from @fastonebaz ) with regard to getting audio and video in sync as a general approach, no matter what the application.

I'll try it. I usually try to align the sound with when I visually make a picking stroke, but have to do it by eye (looking at the video in Reaper) and by ear (what's coming from my speakers).  The peaks in the waveforms on the video and audio tracks don't align in Reaper when that happens. Maybe it's because the video file is recorded by my Logitech webcam application, which I then drag into Reaper and it's something to do with the sample rate settings.

I've also had a quick play with DaVinci Resolve. Am I right that the audio and video have to be recorded in separate applications, which then have to be imported into the software for alignment? Maybe, I'm missing something.

Videopad seems to be able to record video from my webcam and audio from my audio interface at the same time, and it looks in sync, based in a very quick play with the software. That's great for solo guitar stuff, but I haven't yet worked out how to play along to a separate backing track within Videopad. I'm not sure whether it's possible.

I've also used Blender 3D a lot but not for video.

I'm still in the process of playing with the various software packages, but it would be nice to have some quick pointers. It's a case of too many options at the moment and where to focus my efforts. It would be good to have an all in one solution and Videopad appears to get close.

It's not a competition.
    Snags said:
    Aside:

Thanks for that. Now you mention it I think I've heard that (possibly from @fastonebaz ) with regard to getting audio and video in sync as a general approach, no matter what the application.

I'll try it. I usually try to align the sound with when I visually make a picking stroke, but have to do it by eye (looking at the video in Reaper) and by ear (what's coming from my speakers).  The peaks in the waveforms on the video and audio tracks don't align in Reaper when that happens. Maybe it's because the video file is recorded by my Logitech webcam application, which I then drag into Reaper and it's something to do with the sample rate settings.

I've also had a quick play with DaVinci Resolve. Am I right that the audio and video have to be recorded in separate applications, which then have to be imported into the software for alignment? Maybe, I'm missing something.

Videopad seems to be able to record video from my webcam and audio from my audio interface at the same time, and it looks in sync, based in a very quick play with the software. That's great for solo guitar stuff, but I haven't yet worked out how to play along to a separate backing track within Videopad. I'm not sure whether it's possible.

I've also used Blender 3D a lot but not for video.

I'm still in the process of playing with the various software packages, but it would be nice to have some quick pointers. It's a case of too many options at the moment and where to focus my efforts. It would be good to have an all in one solution and Videopad appears to get close.

Resolve has six main windows that cover importing, quick edit, advanced edit, fx including text, colour grading, audio, and export. 
    It is not a recording app. It’s an edit app able to handle everything from home movies to Hollywood. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2020
    lukedlb said:

Resolve has six main windows that cover importing, quick edit, advanced edit, fx including text, colour grading, audio, and export. 
    It is not a recording app. It’s an edit app able to handle everything from home movies to Hollywood. 
    Many thanks, that's confirmed what I was thinking.

It's not a competition.
    Some cameras offer stereo line in if you need to record live audio. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    lukedlb said:
    Thanks. More useful info.
    It's not a competition.
    lukedlb said:
    I’m probably two weeks ahead of you on this whole video journey. I’ve done the following steps: Computer, camera, editing app, tripod. Next is voice mic and lens. And then I’ll have no other excuse for procrastination. 
    lukedlb said:
    lukedlb said:
    I’m probably two weeks ahead of you on this whole video journey. I’ve done the following steps: Computer, camera, editing app, tripod. Next is voice mic and lens. And then I’ll have no other excuse for procrastination. 
    I've made a few videos already which I've posted on the forum. That's by recording video with my Logitech Webcam software, Reaper for simultaneously recording the audio (and playing a backing track). Then Reaper for the final syncing and collation of video and audio. But I find it a bit of a fiddly/clunky process.

It's not a competition.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    There's a free Open Source video editor which is very capable. Look for kdenlive, it runs on Linux, Windows and Mac OS.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4099
    I find it easy to sync tracks in davinci resolve now I've done it so much. 

As a bit of an aside, but on a related topic, does anyone know of a good option for a plain backdrop or folding screen that's quick and easy to set up and put away, so I can hide the background in my music room.
    It's not a competition.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4099
    @stratman3142 I've  seen people just hang patterned sheets behind them which looks quite cool. 

2 hooks in the ceiling,  run a wire between them,  peg the sheet to the wire.

Less pfaff than tripod and black, white or green screen.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    As a bit of an aside, but on a related topic, does anyone know of a good option for a plain backdrop or folding screen that's quick and easy to set up and put away, so I can hide the background in my music room.
    these are good but you can probably find them cheaper  https://www.parkcameras.com/bc/161-2542/lastolite/studio-backgrounds