SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Original Floyd Rose brass sustain blocks (not oversize) £10 each

What's Hot

Comments

• kipplekipple Frets: 354
    kipple said:
    I would like to buy one of the 37 mm steel blocks, I tried your website but I could not see any way of ordering one
    To be found there in the shop under guitar bridges - click below & just choose the 37mm height from the drop down menu

I have one packed and ready if you want to order tonight
    Thanks. Just ordered one
    cheers Ian
    I put peoples heads in horse's beds

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    tFB Trader
    Thanks Ian - all packed and ready to ship

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Thanks Ian - all packed and ready to ship
    Thanks. VERY early Xmas pressie from my missus... Been wanting to try one for ages

edited October 2020
    Ok Soooo.. I installed the Feline steel block today.

I thought about trying one for awhile and even spoke to feline on the phone at one point about the steel blocks but honestly no offense to feline I was slightly put off by the price and that has held me back from doing this until recently.
    Here is WHY I decided to try it...
    About 3 months ago ish I bought an ESP built kramer from the mid 80s one that was for Japanese domestic market only. It's easily my best sounding guitar by a long way and it also responds differently to my playing compared to my other guitars with floyds especially on the noodly type stuff.

I also have a couple of ESP Lynch Kami 1 guitars here and both are early custom shop ones from mid 80s, really great guitars but the ESP built Japanese Kramer even beats those so once I got the Kramer the bug bit me really hard for the sound it has and playing feel.

So... I recently swapped the Floyd from the Japan kramer into one of the ESP Lynch Kami 1 guitars and voila there you go that made the difference. one of the ESP Lynch guitars has a Floyd the other has the synclair so I put the Floyd from the Kramer into the ESP lynch that has the Floyd. 
    Anyways it took me awhile before the penny dropped and eventually I figured out that the ESP japan Kramer has a STEEL block on the floyd...so hence I bought one of the feline steel blocks.... 

Today I put the Feline Steel block into a reissue Kramer nightswan and all I can say is FUUUCK YEAH !!!!! Same result as my Japanese Kramer with the steel block

In all honesty I think that the success of the steel block would depend largely on the guitar and what someone's expectations are. it's like everything else one mans meat is anothers poison. 
    It also probably makes a difference that I am very much in the dislike camp for the oversize brass blocks as I feel they rob the top end of a guitar with a Floyd and ruin the note articulation when getting all noodly.  I found adding a brass claw when using a brass block with some guitars is a big improvement in bringing back the top end but while a brass claw worked with some guitars for me it didn't work with many...

The steel block to my ears adds the fatness but keeps the top end very nicely and is more open sounding on chords... To my ears at least it sounds WAY better than the oversize brass block and it makes the touch response/playing feel much better.
    I also have another reissue Kramer nightswan here which belongs to a mate so I was able to make a direct comparison between the sound of a brass block and steel block just so I would know its not my ears/mind playing honeymoon tricks on me, Definitely an VERY noticable difference between the 2 guitars.

Sorry this is a bit long winded but it's a fair bit to drop on a component especially without knowing if it would actually work for me and not seeing any other positive comments out there it's a leap of faith, plus I factor in that way back, when the big brass blocks started gaining popularity I initially I really bought into the oversize brass block thing, but it honestly never worked for me and quite frankly some of the prices of the brass blocks after shipping and VAT left me feeling like I had really had my pants pulled down hence being cautious over buying a steel one but the steel ones definitely work for me on my 80s kramer and putting the feline one on a reissue kramer is a great result and now it seems quite cheap considering the improvement it has made so if this helps anyone decide to give it a go then it's all good.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    kipple said:

I thought about trying one for awhile and even spoke to feline on the phone at one point about the steel blocks but honestly no offense to feline I was slightly put off by the price and that has held me back from doing this until recently.
    About 3 months ago ish I bought an ESP built kramer from the mid 80s one that was for Japanese domestic market only. It's easily my best sounding guitar by a long way and it also responds differently to my playing compared to my other guitars with floyds especially on the noodly type stuff.

I also have a couple of ESP Lynch Kami 1 guitars here and both are early custom shop ones from mid 80s, really great guitars but the ESP built Japanese Kramer even beats those so once I got the Kramer the bug bit me really hard for the sound it has and playing feel.

So... I recently swapped the Floyd from the Japan kramer into one of the ESP Lynch Kami 1 guitars and voila there you go that made the difference. one of the ESP Lynch guitars has a Floyd the other has the synclair so I put the Floyd from the Kramer into the ESP lynch that has the Floyd. 
    Anyways it took me awhile before the penny dropped and eventually I figured out that the ESP japan Kramer has a STEEL block on the floyd...so hence I bought one of the feline steel blocks.... 

Today I put the Feline Steel block into a reissue Kramer nightswan and all I can say is FUUUCK YEAH !!!!! Same result as my Japanese Kramer with the steel block

In all honesty I think that the success of the steel block would depend largely on the guitar and what someone's expectations are. it's like everything else one mans meat is anothers poison. 
    It also probably makes a difference that I am very much in the dislike camp for the oversize brass blocks as I feel they rob the top end of a guitar with a Floyd and ruin the note articulation when getting all noodly.  I found adding a brass claw when using a brass block with some guitars is a big improvement in bringing back the top end but while a brass claw worked with some guitars for me it didn't work with many...

The steel block to my ears adds the fatness but keeps the top end very nicely and is more open sounding on chords... To my ears at least it sounds WAY better than the oversize brass block and it makes the touch response/playing feel much better.
    I also have another reissue Kramer nightswan here which belongs to a mate so I was able to make a direct comparison between the sound of a brass block and steel block just so I would know its not my ears/mind playing honeymoon tricks on me, Definitely an VERY noticable difference between the 2 guitars.

Sorry this is a bit long winded but it's a fair bit to drop on a component especially without knowing if it would actually work for me and not seeing any other positive comments out there it's a leap of faith, plus I factor in that way back, when the big brass blocks started gaining popularity I initially I really bought into the oversize brass block thing, but it honestly never worked for me and quite frankly some of the prices of the brass blocks after shipping and VAT left me feeling like I had really had my pants pulled down hence being cautious over buying a steel one but the steel ones definitely work for me on my 80s kramer and putting the feline one on a reissue kramer is a great result and now it seems quite cheap considering the improvement it has made so if this helps anyone decide to give it a go then it's all good.

Thanks for the review.
    That was exactly my findings.
    Having swapped out many strat trem blocks for a steel one and found it to make pretty much the biggest improvement of anything we did to various strats, and also I had a Charvel with a VERY EARLY  non locking floyd with a STEEL BLOCK that just sounded so much better than any other floyd we tried on it I was pretty much sold on the idea .

So we had our guy make some and knew as soon as we fitted them that it was so right in terms of getting a more balanced sound - it sort of "un-floyded" the guitar sound wise while still giving the performance. I know that they can seem a little expensive but it may so improve the sound that you don't need to keep trying new pickups to dial out the overly mid heavy sound the floyd gives.

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• M1ckM1ck Frets: 231
    Are there any 32mm brass ones left?
    tFB Trader
    M1ck said:
    no - just a 37mm and lots of 42mm ones

• M1ckM1ck Frets: 231
    M1ck said:
    no - just a 37mm and lots of 42mm ones
    Shame, thanks for the reply.
    edited October 2020
    kipple said:

Thanks for the review.
    That was exactly my findings.
    Having swapped out many strat trem blocks for a steel one and found it to make pretty much the biggest improvement of anything we did to various strats, and also I had a Charvel with a VERY EARLY  non locking floyd with a STEEL BLOCK that just sounded so much better than any other floyd we tried on it I was pretty much sold on the idea .

So we had our guy make some and knew as soon as we fitted them that it was so right in terms of getting a more balanced sound - it sort of "un-floyded" the guitar sound wise while still giving the performance. I know that they can seem a little expensive but it may so improve the sound that you don't need to keep trying new pickups to dial out the overly mid heavy sound the floyd gives.

Do you know if the Fat Cat Steel block will fit a Floyd Rose Pro

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Well, I had mixed results with mine...

Feline were great and got it to me as I would have wished.

I then set about dismantling my guitar to fit it and lo-and-behold, it was identical to the one I already had there!

Ho-hum, what a donut!

Still, I do have a spare one now for if I happen to pick up another Floyd...
    prowla said:

I then set about dismantling my guitar to fit it and lo-and-behold, it was identical to the one I already had there!

Ho-hum, what a donut!

what did you buy from feline was it a brass block or a steel one

tFB Trader
    kipple said:

@kipple - we have to make a special one for the Floyd Rose Pro as the screws needed to be offset to let the block sit against the springs for the fine tuning mechanism.
    It's a little more @£45 but that is down to our engineer charging a bit more for the one off
    Think we have them in 42mm and 35mm

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    edited October 2020
    kipple said:
    prowla said:

Ho-hum, what a donut!

what did you buy from feline was it a brass block or a steel one

Brass, but with a silver coating (the ones in the pic in the OP).
    kipple said:

@kipple - we have to make a special one for the Floyd Rose Pro as the screws needed to be offset to let the block sit against the springs for the fine tuning mechanism.
    It's a little more @£45 but that is down to our engineer charging a bit more for the one off
    Think we have them in 42mm and 35mm

Ok thanks . I'm waiting for a guitar to arrive that has a Floyd Rose Pro. Once it gets here,,if it EVER gets here.  I will decide if I want one for that
    Thanks

• Any of these left?
    tFB Trader
    Any of these left?
    1 x37mm
    10 x 42mm

• Looking for a 37mm, any left?
    tFB Trader
    yes - got 1 x 37mm one left

• That's great how do I go about ordering?
    tFB Trader
    Csak1981 said:
    That's great how do I go about ordering?
    PM me - and you can pay by Paypal if you wish