Collider alternatives?

What's Hot
brucegillbrucegill Frets: 714
edited May 2020 in FX
Got a Collider at the start of last week but keep getting problems with it. 

Basically I'm getting 100% wet audio. It's when I either change preset, or use a preset from Neuro Cloud and occasionally when I change a Delay engine to a reverb on the pedal.

I've worked out what is happening when this occurs whilst burning a preset from Neuro - It sets the Analog Pre Dry to 0. Even on Cascade presets. You can click on the Cloud preset in the app and it sounds right, then you burn it to the pedal and it looses the Analog Pre Dry setting.

doesn't look like I can sort the problem (asked on gearpages for help from sourceaudio)

so what else should I look at?

Reverb (spring, plate and room) and delay (tape, analogue and maybe digital) on one pedal would be great. Stereo out.

to be honest, a great reverb with a delay on there would be fine! Maybe the less options the better. 

Something without a bloody app though, want to be able to do all settings on the pedal without pissing about on the computer when it doesn’t work.

Any analogue options? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Not tried one myself, but the NuX Atlantic would seem to be the obvious "budget" replacement, as it has pretty much the exact reverb and delay options you're looking for, and does stereo out.  Pete Thorn did a good demo vid of it...

New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 714
    Thanks. Will check that out tomorrow. Not fussed about price to be honest, needs to be right. The collider sounds great when it works. Maybe I skip the stereo option. Had the Volante and that was great but huge and didn’t like the reverb that much. 
    Thinking the empress reverb might be a better choice for me at the moment....
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9533
    Factory reset the Collider mate ?

Simple but brilliant delay/verb combo is EQD Dispatch Master.

King of the bunch, as you already know Ill say (!), is the Neunaber Immerse...

I didnt rate the Empress verb, BUT loved the Echosystem which is superb, and simple to use.
    Factory reset the Collider mate ?

Simple but brilliant delay/verb combo is EQD Dispatch Master.

King of the bunch, as you already know Ill say (!), is the Neunaber Immerse...

I didnt rate the Empress verb, BUT loved the Echosystem which is superb, and simple to use.
    Morning. 

Thanks mate. The Neunaber is on the list. 

Factory reset 3/4 times. Started presets from scratch rather than backups. Giving it one more shot today....

• Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
    EQD Avalanche run....not as tweakable as the Collider, but with reverb and delay sounds that are so easy to dial in, you don't miss the extra options?
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    edited June 2020
    If you’re after mainly reverb but also one delay/reverb option @solar has a Red Panda Context in the classifieds, demos sound superb 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/161713/fs-price-drops-red-panda-context-v1-pigtronix-keymaster-ehx-superego#latest

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks guys. Going to go with a Neunaber Immerse for reverb. On the lookout for delay now. So many to choose from!?!

Vintage-T said:
    EQD Avalanche run....not as tweakable as the Collider, but with reverb and delay sounds that are so easy to dial in, you don't miss the extra options?
    This is what I should probably have done! Do love the sound of these....
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
    brucegill said:

Vintage-T said:
    This is what I should probably have done! Do love the sound of these....
    I did, pairing with a Volante, but still wonder sometimes if I should have done the collider for the all in one...it's the never ending GAS roulette. I'm happy with the Avalanche Run and Volante for all my wonderful echoes and delays....for now. Would still add something like a OBNE Procession to my rig to just have an ethereal reverb without having to kill the delay on the EQD AR.
  • ColWilkieColWilkie Frets: 144
    I've made the change to the Collider from a pair of Strymon's.  Had exactly the same problem, which was quickly diagnosed by their support on a Sunday evening over the TGP forum!  I expect they will release a fix for it soon, should be straight forward.

The pedal to me sounds so good, I'm willing to bear with it while they iron out the bugs.  Their team appear to be super helpful, and it appears fixes are turned around relatively quickly.  Perhaps worth holding fire for a couple of weeks?

The Volante is amazing, and Strymon certainly don't seem to be as plagued with bugs.  It gives you some incredible delays, and you have the reverb onboard as well (although more limited).  For me, it was just not getting enough use and I wanted the simplicity the Collider offered over the Volante and Big Sky.

edited June 2020
    ColWilkie said:
    I've made the change to the Collider from a pair of Strymon's.  Had exactly the same problem, which was quickly diagnosed by their support on a Sunday evening over the TGP forum!  I expect they will release a fix for it soon, should be straight forward.

The pedal to me sounds so good, I'm willing to bear with it while they iron out the bugs.  Their team appear to be super helpful, and it appears fixes are turned around relatively quickly.  Perhaps worth holding fire for a couple of weeks?

The Volante is amazing, and Strymon certainly don't seem to be as plagued with bugs.  It gives you some incredible delays, and you have the reverb onboard as well (although more limited).  For me, it was just not getting enough use and I wanted the simplicity the Collider offered over the Volante and Big Sky.

Thats interesting. I went on TGP too and all they said was to send my backups to support. I've not done it in fairness, I'll be honest, I'm done messing about with a £380 pedal. it shouldn't have bugs like this, like you say, not something I've ever experienced with Strymon. Also didn't have to dive into a rubbish app to see what was going wrong with it. It could sound amazing one minute, then muddy the next. I'm sure if I spent more time with it I'd get what I wanted from it. 

Had the Volante too and loved it, kinda wished I'd kept it and just got another reverb pedal. 

Hay ho, Neunaber Immerse on the way to me now. Just looking at delay options. Maybe I'll keep that Analog.
    Totally understand mate.  Don't get me wrong, if these kind of bugs continue - I will also look for alternatives!
    Good call on the Immerse, heard good things about it!  Perhaps just add a good old fashioned Carbon Copy and call it a day  ;)
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    I've been looking for a reverb, with delay and midi and it's been pretty fruitless. Collider was on the list but issues like the one above and delayed preset switching via midi have put me off.

It seems the only pedal that can do it all is the boss RV500. Although there's plenty of folks moaning about how hard they are to program well.

So hof2 remains in my board for now....
  • That's a shame. I've not had a buggy experience with mine but my needs have been very simple. Not really mucking around with presets or anything - just using it like a DD7 basically!

You could try the Ocean Machine. Heard lots of good things about it. Boss RV-500 is worth a look too if all you need is a simple delay.

Bye!

ColWilkie said:
    Totally understand mate.  Don't get me wrong, if these kind of bugs continue - I will also look for alternatives!
    Good call on the Immerse, heard good things about it!  Perhaps just add a good old fashioned Carbon Copy and call it a day  ;)
    Hear that! Though no doubt I’ll find another overly complicated pedal of desire lol. Meet Maude looks fun. Empress one too...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonP said:
    I've been looking for a reverb, with delay and midi and it's been pretty fruitless. Collider was on the list but issues like the one above and delayed preset switching via midi have put me off.

It seems the only pedal that can do it all is the boss RV500. Although there's plenty of folks moaning about how hard they are to program well.

So hof2 remains in my board for now....
    They're not hard to program tbh. They're just boring to program. A Big Sky or Volante feels fun to program and it feels like a toy, so you keep coming back. The RV500 and DD500 are a bit chorish but not difficult, just snooze.

Bye!

That's a shame. I've not had a buggy experience with mine but my needs have been very simple. Not really mucking around with presets or anything - just using it like a DD7 basically!

You could try the Ocean Machine. Heard lots of good things about it. Boss RV-500 is worth a look too if all you need is a simple delay.
    Thanks. Will look into Ocean Machine!

@brucegill - how is the Immerse going?  I've run into a couple of other issues with the Collider, and while I'm waiting to see if they can be sorted out, also considering taking another path.  Such a shame, as the sounds are fantastic!
    ColWilkie said:
    @brucegill - how is the Immerse going?  I've run into a couple of other issues with the Collider, and while I'm waiting to see if they can be sorted out, also considering taking another path.  Such a shame, as the sounds are fantastic!
    @ColWilkie Oh man, what's going on this time? 

Well I was going to reply on here yesterday but thought I'd give it some more time.... So far, the Immerse is very very nice, but the Collider still sounds amazing, so I'm in two minds at the moment. I'm just having another go now. But if you asked me yesterday evening I'd have said I was going to sell the Immerse and keep the Collider - even with its problems. I think a new compressor helped out with any muddyness I was getting. And I think it really depends on what reverbs you're using. I like spring and plate, and they seemed better, to my ears, on the Collider. The Immerse W3t is pretty special though. And I've not tried it in stereo yet either.....