The Fretboard Rickenbacker Club (NSFW)

What's Hot

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8796
    or there's the ever-so cost effective Mastery option....
    Worked on my JM. Even if it looks like mountain bike parts :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7200
    JerkMoans said:
    Staytrem > Mastery :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    Has anyone tried flatwounds in a Ric? Feel the urge to try them, such a faff stringing and restringing  if they dont work out...have them on my Tele, which I like a lot
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2308
    JerkMoans said:
    Staytrem > Mastery :D
    I assumed I’d need to go that route but I haven’t. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2308

rpr said:
    Has anyone tried flatwounds in a Ric? Feel the urge to try them, such a faff stringing and restringing  if they dont work out...have them on my Tele, which I like a lot
    No not flat I use the Ricky Sounds ground wounds (semi flat) on the 12 which sound great and last forever. They sound focused and don’t have all thos bright harmonics all over the place. Loads of compression too.  I’ve had the same set on my 12 for about 2 years. Just use Fast feet  them before and after.  Normal strings for the 6 string. 
    Just 11s with a wound 22 G string on both mine 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72605
    Just 11s with a wound 22 G string on both mine 
    It's always puzzled me why Rickenbacker don't do this as a (or the) standard string gauge - they do either 10s with a plain G (too clangy, especially with Toasters) or 12s with a wound G (too heavy for most people who aren't Peter Buck).

On 12-strings I think the factory 10-gauge rolled-wound strings are the best though - actually quite critical to the 'proper' sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

That's reminded me I bought a set of Thomastik flats to try on my poor ignored Jazzmaster, tossed carelessly aside as I faithlessly perv over libidinous 12-string Rickenbackers and lasciviously shiny Felines...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27220
    My mate's 325 had flats for the Lennon thing. It sounded spot-on for early Beatles/60's stuff but not so good for anything else.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    Here’s one thing that strikes me above everything else after living with these guitars a while; I love the necks. As a Fender player for the whole of my life, I’m blown away by the simplicity of the setup on a Ric. Good god you can get the action low with no buzz. There’s just something about them. 

Anyone else find this, or is it just me? 
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    Here’s one thing that strikes me above everything else after living with these guitars a while; I love the necks. As a Fender player for the whole of my life, I’m blown away by the simplicity of the setup on a Ric. Good god you can get the action low with no buzz. There’s just something about them. 

It’s not just you
    pmg said:

It’s not just you
    It’s really tainted my (golden era) Jaguar if I’m honest! Also, love the fretboard lacquer. Who knew. 
    gringopig said:

Yes I noticed that 660 in Benfleet jump up to 2.2k lol. It's as if he took inspiration. Interest now zero on that then!
    57% hike in opening price before a bid fired in anger proved to be a powerful GAS suppressant. Who knew?! :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    So I've been scrolling through this thread recently and the Ric GAS is mounting.

And as if by magic I've been offered a 2001 Fireglo 360/6 in a trade for something.

I've never owned one, and the values seem all over the place for used ones.

They look gorgeous, though.

Is it worth getting one just because it's one of the enduring classics? 

Are fakes easy to spot? Any 'good' years or years to watch out for?

fakes shouldnt really be an issue, because yes, you should be able to spot one a mile off. Build pretty consistent too, so the notion of good years isnt so big a thing. there are variants over the years which may account for personal preference, but nothing earth-shattering. a 2001 will feel pretty close if not identical to a 2020 model. Having the original case or not should be a consideration when valuing it - they're ridiculously priced to replace.

Let's see pics ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72605
    Modern fakes are easy to spot - they’re nothing like a real one, even with genuine parts fitted. Some older ones can be trickier - like the probable Greco above, a very few even have the correct double truss rods - but that’s rare and is one of the easiest giveaways... on most of the guitar models the ends of the rods are visible behind the neck pickup.

There are no ‘good’ and ‘bad’ years, but be aware that RIC have often changed the spec for things as drastic as neck and body shapes without warning or apparently any logic... and more minor things like inlays, exact pickguard shapes and colour, pickup specs etc with equally little announcement or pattern.

One of the few things that’s remained completely consistent is the neck *width* - not depth or profile - but one of the typically RIC things is that when they‘ve made a few models with wider necks - the 650, 660 and a few others - they made them *really* wide... they seem to regard doing anything like any other manufacturer as a trap to be avoided at all costs :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

fakes shouldnt really be an issue, because yes, you should be able to spot one a mile off. Build pretty consistent too, so the notion of good years isnt so big a thing. there are variants over the years which may account for personal preference, but nothing earth-shattering. a 2001 will feel pretty close if not identical to a 2020 model. Having the original case or not should be a consideration when valuing it - they're ridiculously priced to replace.

Let's see pics ;)
    Cheers bud!

It's through gumtree and try as I might I just can't pull the pics off there.
    I'll ask him to send some to my phone instead. 

The guy says it's unmarked/unplayed with case and candy etc.

I'll be honest, I've always loved the look of them, especially the 360 curvyness.
    (I do like the ones with herringbone binding too, but they seem to be the higher end ones)
    ICBM said:
    Modern fakes are easy to spot - they’re nothing like a real one, even with genuine parts fitted. Some older ones can be trickier - like the probable Greco above, a very few even have the correct double truss rods - but that’s rare and is one of the easiest giveaways... on most of the guitar models the ends of the rods are visible behind the neck pickup.

There are no ‘good’ and ‘bad’ years, but be aware that RIC have often changed the spec for things as drastic as neck and body shapes without warning or apparently any logic... and more minor things like inlays, exact pickguard shapes and colour, pickup specs etc with equally little announcement or pattern.

One of the few things that’s remained completely consistent is the neck *width* - not depth or profile - but one of the typically RIC things is that when they‘ve made a few models with wider necks - the 650, 660 and a few others - they made them *really* wide... they seem to regard doing anything like any other manufacturer as a trap to be avoided at all costs :).
    Thanks pal, all makes sense. 
    @andy1839 they're all higher end :D 
    They all look to be very well built.
    I just can't decipher why there's so much variation in prices.
    Reverb has the 360 going from less than a grand to £1800, new they're similarly varied in price 

Trying to gauge prices on here doesn't help either as they tend to be a bit lower.

Any advice re: values?