The Fretboard Rickenbacker Club (NSFW)

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBM said:
    Teyeplayer said:

Not dead set against it if it’s a reliably made part (I gather that like the Gibson vibrato the originals are ‘problematic’).
    It's just not a very good design. As I understand it, the fundamental problem is that the way the spring is shaped means that as it gets closer to the rest position, the string pull becomes almost parallel to the end of the spring which the 'comb' piece is mounted on, which reduces the positional sensitivity - hence it can never have really accurate return to pitch even if there aren't problems at the bridge or nut.
    Thanks for that, makes logical sense when explained that way. I’ll save myself the £200. Cheers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SRD81SRD81 Frets: 328
    I had an accent vibrato on a 325 and would agree that giving it a miss is likely a good bet. Looks cool but I certainly had issues with mine returning correctly to pitch.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31667
    p90fool said:
    Forgive my rustiness as I don't even have finger callouses any more since I stopped playing in March, but I dug out the 620 for a quick noodle, and I have to say I love its bite with a bit of overdrive. 

That sounds really good. So much for a one trick pony! Is it me or are those 620s small? Shorter scale? Or are you really tall?  
    @Creed_Clicks ;; I'm 6'3" so tend to dwarf most solidbody electrics a bit.

The 620 is a little shorter but quite a bit wider than a Les Paul and the scale length is the same, so it all feels pretty familiar to be honest. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72666
    p90fool said:

The 620 is a little shorter but quite a bit wider than a Les Paul and the scale length is the same, so it all feels pretty familiar to be honest. 
    I find the completely different neck height and pitch the biggest difference in how they feel to me - I don't really get on with the back angle on Les Pauls, especially with the 'modern' pitch. Rickenbackers feel more like an acoustic guitar in that the neck is further away from you and parallel to the body.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90fool said:
    p90fool said:
    Forgive my rustiness as I don't even have finger callouses any more since I stopped playing in March, but I dug out the 620 for a quick noodle, and I have to say I love its bite with a bit of overdrive. 

That sounds really good. So much for a one trick pony! Is it me or are those 620s small? Shorter scale? Or are you really tall?  

Interesting. You beat me by a few inches! I'll have plenty of time to lull it over anyhow, and the hardest part will be locating a 360 and 620 to try out...
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31667
    p90fool said:
    p90fool said:

Interesting. You beat me by a few inches! I'll have plenty of time to lull it over anyhow, and the hardest part will be locating a 360 and 620 to try out...
    Well if you're coming to the UK you'll be passing through Wales, so you're welcome to try mine.
    :)
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6743
    Happy for you try out my 660 if you're ever near Brighton. You could even buy it from me! 
  • @p90fool ;
    @merlin ;
    very kind of you both to offer! 
  • If *IF* there are any 360/6 jetglo owners in here who might fancy trading for my jetglo 620, (older ones the better for me) then drop me
    a line - I’m not 100% on the idea by any means, but let’s chat if you fall into the above very niche category 
  • No @GavRichList .. Stop it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4949
    There seems to be an imbalance of guitars vs. basses here, so let me help put that right.

1reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @prowla that Laredo stands out !
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    I've always felt left out of this club having never even played one of these knickerbocker things let alone owned one.

So I've bitten the bullet and a 12 string 360 is on it's way to me.  NGD to follow!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72666
    munckee said:
    I've always felt left out of this club having never even played one of these knickerbocker things let alone owned one.

So I've bitten the bullet and a 12 string 360 is on it's way to me.  NGD to follow!
    Wow! Brave decision :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    ICBM said:
    munckee said:

Wow! Brave decision :)
    I went used im not that brave!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited February 2021
    munckee said:
    ICBM said:
    munckee said:

Wow! Brave decision
    I went used im not that brave!
    If you'd bought a new Ric 12 without ever having played one, you wouldn't be being brave, you'd be being stupid. And I say that as a Ric 12 owner.

Hope you get on well with it when it arrives - they are amazing beasts, if you can get on with their quirks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Laredo / Cheyenne looks absolutely stunning. Was there a reason they moved the pickups back a bit on one model? Still gassing for a 360 or 620 too but will have to wait for a bit...
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8800
    Paging @munckee :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • I’m down to one again having let the 620 go. There’s more chance of hell freezing over than me parting with the 330 though. Such a joy of a guitar.