The Fretboard Rickenbacker Club (NSFW)

What's Hot

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12413
    My biggest struggle with 12 on is a shaped barre chords, my ring finger dampens the high e no matter how much I adjust.  never done it on another guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    munckee said:
    My biggest struggle with 12 on is a shaped barre chords, my ring finger dampens the high e no matter how much I adjust.  never done it on another guitar.
    On a Ric it's possible to play an open A chord with two fingers - one holding down the D and G, and the other on the B, allowing you to switch to sus4, sus2, or even minor if you want. 

I haven't tried it, but maybe you could do something similar with A barres?
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1391
    Spied a 2010 360 a few hundred miles away for €1,300. A good price? Could try and haggle down another bit even...
    With restrictions, it's probably a non runner anyways :( 
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1304
    Spied a 2010 360 a few hundred miles away for €1,300. A good price? Could try and haggle down another bit even...
    A good price but I’d be leery of committing to buying a Rick without having played it first. They are a bit inconsistent and 1300 is a lot to drop on something that is just alright
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1391
    A good price but I’d be leery of committing to buying a Rick without having played it first. They are a bit inconsistent and 1300 is a lot to drop on something that is just alright
    That is wise advice! 
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 527
    edited April 2021
    What overdrive/amp combinations are you guys using? I have a 360 with toasters, currently my best light to mid drive is a Gain Changer into blackface fenders. Interested in more combinations to try. Cheers!
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12928
    26.2 said:
    What overdrive/amp combinations are you guys using? I have a 360 with toasters, currently my best light to mid drive is a Gain Changer into blackface fenders. Interested in more combinations to try. Cheers!
    I have a Rick 381 and a Princeton Reverb RI.

My current favourite drives are the Zvex Double Rock (basically a Distortron) and the Dr Scientist The Elements.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2252
    26.2 said:
    I have a Rick 381 and a Princeton Reverb RI.

My current favourite drives are the Zvex Double Rock (basically a Distortron) and the Dr Scientist The Elements.

360 with hi gains. Matchless Morgan or bad cat vox type amps klon or king of tone

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7184
    26.2 said:
    Supro amp, (blues king 12 at the minute) with stacked Fairfield gains - start with the accountant compressor, then into Modele B, then into a Barbershop. Sounds tremendous on the bridge pickup on my ‘88 330. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    26.2 said:
    An old non top boost AC-30 at upto about half volume, 330-12 at half volume. That gives my clean tone, so in between the two are a Fulldrive 2 set to taste feeding an always on Sweet Honey for a little hair. 

I use this for gigs, rehearsals are (were, thank you COVID) whatever amp is there with the bass turned down a bit. 
    Interesting stuff. I guess my rig is kind of optimized for Fenders and I think what I’m missing with the Ricky is a bit of complexity or maybe harmonic content. The sort of stuff I’m playing is 60’s/70’s type originals with bit of paisley underground type light psych stuff too. Tried a few pedals as loud as I dare this afternoon - Timmy, Hotcake, old Rat. To be honest the best was probably the Rat with the drive at around 9 o’clock. In general I don’t like compressors, but I wonder if a fairly light one would pull out something good? 
    Compressors are a Rics best friend. The Accountant is especially good, as it adds a little bit of hair to it too. Wonderful compressor. 
    26.2 said:
    An old non top boost AC-30 at upto about half volume, 330-12 at half volume. That gives my clean tone, so in between the two are a Fulldrive 2 set to taste feeding an always on Sweet Honey for a little hair. 

I use this for gigs, rehearsals are (were, thank you COVID) whatever amp is there with the bass turned down a bit. 
    Sounds great. I wish I had my old AC-30 sometimes. Just too heavy to cart around to gigs really - no idea how I used to do it! 
    360\12 into a silver face champ.  I have a wanpler compressor and a klon clone which it sounds good with.  
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    26.2 said:

Sounds great. I wish I had my old AC-30 sometimes. Just too heavy to cart around to gigs really - no idea how I used to do it! 
    The old Vox always gets compliments from folks doing the sound. Although some recent health issues mean it may be up for sale at some point in the near future. Anyway, thread drift.... Sorry
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12928
    Compressors are a Rics best friend. The Accountant is especially good, as it adds a little bit of hair to it too. Wonderful compressor. 
    They're bloomin' extortionate these days, annoyingly. And seemingly hens teeth second hand. 
  • 360JG or 340MG into Origin Live Cali 76, Mesa Boost and Mesa Fluxdrive into either my 77 Vibrochamp or 63 AC30 TB.  Heavenly. 
    They're bloomin' extortionate these days, annoyingly. And seemingly hens teeth second hand. 
    I was fortunate to snag my current one on here for a tonne. Great though. I have a big affection for Cali76 CDs too and often mull over getting another... but I think I’d miss the grit from the Accountant too much. 
    Just sat and listened to my daughter play I can see for miles and miles on the 12 string. Sounds absolutely great. 

That was through a Yamaha thr5!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Any thoughts on pickup heights for a 6-string? 

(Yeah I know - adjust it until it sounds good, but...)