PSA: Yamaha L-series MIJ model blowout at Yamaha Music London

What's Hot

Comments

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Loving my LJ56. A few string changes ( my regular D'addario EJ16's ) in now and already sounding more played in while retaining a nice high end shimmer. As work is starting to pick up after the initial lockdown, it has helped me put 8 new songs and two soundtrack pieces together to the point of finished tracks. It records very well indeed both in a sparce acoustic mix as well as part of a bigger orchestrated mix. 
    In terms of the guitar settling down to it's new environment etc. It has been incredibly stable.It is currently sitting beside the couch along with an adirondack / braz Sobell and a sitka / braz Northwood, I would hate to try to decide between the 3 but the LJ is getting a lot of playing time.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chor808chor808 Frets: 73
    edited August 2020
    Not changed strings yet but loving it. It definitely makes me focus more as any mistake rings out. What a deal these are..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited August 2020
    chor808 said:
    Not changed strings yet but loving it. It definitely makes me focus more as any mistake rings out. What a deal these are..
    Still can't get over the deal either. Everything I had heard and experienced told me that buying blind on one of these would be a no brainer. Having plenty of high end guitars already, time is proving to me that my LJ is as good as any guitar could be at those specs ( and beyond ). I mentioned earlier in the thread that I had been looking for a small jumbo style guitar ( Collings etc ) with a longer scale length than my Gibson J185 Koa. I was looking at £6.5k and upwards for fairly basic spec. Admittedly the 56 series were right up there at previous pricing, in fact they still are in other territories, but at the deal price for that level of craftsmanship, tone and quality, the deal was unbelievable.

As an aside, I just noticed that the sound bar /sub woofer that came as a freebie with the guitar has just won an award for Yamaha this weekend. It's a case of "if Carlsberg did guitar shop  deals........etc" 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5442
    edited December 2022
    Bumping an old thread because I just stumbled across this quite by accident -

https://www.yamahamusiclondon.com/LJ36-ARE-II-Acoustic-Guitar/pidYAM-LJ36AREII

With inflation having done what it has done over the past 2+ years this is in some ways an even better deal than before! D

Edit: it's gone! Did one of you lot snag it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    Out of stock already :/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • They must find the odd one in the warehouse. My 36 will be dragged out of my dead hands, it's just amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Whitecat said:

With inflation having done what it has done over the past 2+ years this is in some ways an even better deal than before! D

I did @Whitecat, thank you, they are superb instruments but I ended up sending this one back. Action was set to over 3mm and I think shaving the saddle to get it to 2-2.5mm would have taken it down quite a bit. Rosewood had an unusual bright purple tint to it. 

@chor808 it had a 2022 serial number, so either it sat unfinished for a number of years or they are making new ones of these. 
    Whitecat said:

I did @Whitecat, thank you, they are superb instruments but I ended up sending this one back. Action was set to over 3mm and I think shaving the saddle to get it to 2-2.5mm would have taken it down quite a bit. Rosewood had an unusual bright purple tint to it. 

@chor808 it had a 2022 serial number, so either it sat unfinished for a number of years or they are making new ones of these. 
    Oh dear, very strange and definitely not acceptable even at the reduced price... sad it didn't work out. Maybe some more stragglers will appear... still reading mixed things about whether they are making many of these if any anymore at all. Perhaps they are using up materials...
  • chor808chor808 Frets: 73
    edited December 2022
    Whitecat said:

I was pretty sure they stopped making them. Trying to work out when mine was made from the serial but gave up. 
  • chor808 said:
    Whitecat said:

I was pretty sure they stopped making them. Trying to work out when mine was made from the serial but gave up. 
    Likewise, that was my understanding - but the tags/labels on the box and the serial number both indicated a January 2022 production date. Bax has them available on their website, as special order.
  • chor808 said:
    They must find the odd one in the warehouse. My 36 will be dragged out of my dead hands, it's just amazing.
    same here - i got one back in the day and its sublime. 
    edited January 2023
    Anyone want a practically mint LS26 for a quite frankly insane low price?

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/px221223397947004--yamaha-ls26-natural-pre-owned

(it’s on “24 hour early access” so you need to be logged in to see it/buy it)

edit: yikes, gone already!!!
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6177
    ^ Yup - "loyalty only" message now. How insane was insane?
    edited January 2023
    goldtop said:
    ^ Yup - "loyalty only" message now. How insane was insane?
    £999 in 5/5 condition. It sold within about an hour of going live at most, maybe quicker.
  • Whitecat said:
    Anyone want a practically mint LS26 for a quite frankly insane low price?

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/px221223397947004--yamaha-ls26-natural-pre-owned

(it’s on “24 hour early access” so you need to be logged in to see it/buy it)

edit: yikes, gone already!!!
    I was online. I faltered and gave in (again) Succumbed to GAS. 

The LS is a bit bigger than I thought it would be, it’s closer to an OM/Dread depth than a parlour. It’s a really nice form factor. 

I like that the top has no runout and that it’s one of the earlier ones when they started making them, without the headstock scarf joint and heel joint on the neck. 2004 serial. 

Thank you @Whitecat :)

silver lining to the unsuccessful LJ36 purchase

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6177
    ^ Dead jealous. Do they do them with their zero-impact pickups?

I found Yamaha sizes a bit tricky to properly follow. My CSF is tiny (Martin 0 size).

The FS and LS bodies have the same size top surface, with the LS being 10mm deeper. According to my hack-o-matic spreadsheet, the box volume of the LS is not so much smaller than my old Sigma J45.

• goldtop said:
    ^ Dead jealous. Do they do them with their zero-impact pickups?

I found Yamaha sizes a bit tricky to properly follow. My CSF is tiny (Martin 0 size).

The FS and LS bodies have the same size top surface, with the LS being 10mm deeper. According to my hack-o-matic spreadsheet, the box volume of the LS is not so much smaller than my old Sigma J45.

I think they did but they have a different model code. @sunshinewelly has one if I recall correctly.

it’s a legitimately superb guitar and having handled a few from different ‘eras’ in this family, they have slight and interesting variations in build.  
    Ah amazing. Congrats!!! That top is superb. Engelmann that looks like that anymore is super rare indeed. You may have got the bargain of the year so far. 

@goldtop they have run a few with pickups but they are dead rare. Peach has actually had a few a couple years ago but I’m not even sure if the electro models have ever been in the official catalogue. If you ever spot one with a cutaway, it’ll most likely be an electro. 
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 238
    @danishbacon that looks a cracker. :)

• Dug this up. Would like to go back and try and figure out when ARE or ARE II are introduced but it looks like cutaway electrics were available since 2004