PSA: Yamaha L-series MIJ model blowout at Yamaha Music London

What's Hot

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6176
    ^ Very useful - thanks for posting. It explains some of the history. Never seen an LJ shape. Bit confused though, as I thought the LS6 had laminated back and sides. Maybe I am misreading it.

I am off to Japan in March ... dare I risk trying to find and import one of these rare high-end models? (Baggage handling risks, VAT/etc, CITES!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtop said:
    ^ Very useful - thanks for posting. It explains some of the history. Never seen an LJ shape. Bit confused though, as I thought the LS6 had laminated back and sides. Maybe I am misreading it.

I am off to Japan in March ... dare I risk trying to find and import one of these rare high-end models? (Baggage handling risks, VAT/etc, CITES!)
    No CITES on these. Cases reasonably sturdy :) I'd try to get it on the plane/coat rack or gate check it. Loosen strings. Get it on your instrument insurance policy, unatended vehicle international cover prior to getting on the plane and have fun :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5442
    goldtop said:

The 6 series definitely is lam back/sides, not sure what was going on there. 16 and higher is all-solid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'll double-check on CITES. Last thing I want is for it to be stuck in limbo if a Border Force person can't be persuaded.
    Whitecat said:
    goldtop said:

The 6 series definitely is lam back/sides, not sure what was going on there. 16 and higher is all-solid.
    Bit more research seems to show that you are right. And that the 16 spec is made in China, and the 26 spec (and 36) are the ones made in Japan. 

The less glamorous FS5/FG5 is also made in Japan (with FS3/FG3 being made in China, but similar spec).

I'll be there for 4 weeks, so I'll put off buying a bigger acoustic and hope I can luck into something there.
  • goldtop said:
    Whitecat said:
    goldtop said:

Bit more research seems to show that you are right. And that the 16 spec is made in China, and the 26 spec (and 36) are the ones made in Japan. 

The less glamorous FS5/FG5 is also made in Japan (with FS3/FG3 being made in China, but similar spec).

I'll be there for 4 weeks, so I'll put off buying a bigger acoustic and hope I can luck into something there.
    I've always fancied going to Japan as it fascinates me. I'm not a fan of crowds like they have but their culture,language and architecture interest me too. They like their sport and guitars also,which is right up my street.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 754
    edited January 2023
    goldtop said:
    Whitecat said:
    goldtop said:

Actually many suspect FS5/FG5 made in China and finished off in Japan according to some www content. Identical in appearance to FS3/FG3 but ship from Hamamatsu. Why don't you ask whilst you're out there @goldtop ;and let us know for certain?! Yamaha a little opaque about the actual source of their instruments sometimes. :-)
    ^ I can ask, but I don't speak Japanese, so conversation is at a polite/superficial level. Ms GT does, so perhaps I'll drag her along and ask some more nuanced and direct questions.

For sure, I remember when Edwards electric guitars were launched and those definitely were just finished off (hardware, setup?) in Japan. But most resellers claimed they were MIJ.
    Just in case anyone near Bristol wants an LS26, I just found one on FB Marketplace:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1336514387144751/

Too far for me to travel (unlike Japan?!).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    goldtop said:
    ^ I can ask, but I don't speak Japanese, so conversation is at a polite/superficial level. Ms GT does, so perhaps I'll drag her along and ask some more nuanced and direct questions.

For sure, I remember when Edwards electric guitars were launched and those definitely were just finished off (hardware, setup?) in Japan. But most resellers claimed they were MIJ.
    Yeah definitely (talking about Edwards here). And I think there was some variation as well, depending on the year- some years may well have been definitely made in Japan, and some definitely had a "made in Japan" stamp on the headstock. I saw one with my own eyes which I played which had that- a second-hand one a local shop had in- and also plenty online which had the MIJ stamp too. Mine didn't as far as I can remember, I suspect mine was from one of those years where it was only finished off in Japan.
  • goldtop said:
    Just in case anyone near Bristol wants an LS26, I just found one on FB Marketplace:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1336514387144751/

Too far for me to travel (unlike Japan?!).

I’ve played this one when I bought another guitar off Jack. It’s a nice one. 
    Just using this thread as a placeholder for my high-end L-series research. 

I found this video after searching for LSX400 info (I think that was an earlier version of the LS26?), and thought it was worth sharing.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2419
    Wtf is going on with the reverb in that video?
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 238
    I miss notes sometimes too, but at least I don't beat my guitar up over it!   ;)

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Whitecat said:
    Interesting, exactly the same price as Yamaha were selling them for a couple of years ago.
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2697
    Whitecat said:
    Interesting, exactly the same price as Yamaha were selling them for a couple of years ago.
    Considering inflation since the sale, it's discounted! The LS has a recommended retail price of £5060 in the UK currently https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/ac_guitars/l_series/ls_series.html
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That one's tempting, but I am hoping to find a better bargain in Japan. I've earmarked £1500 +/- for a LS26 (or just possibly the LL26). 

I found a used LS36 for $1900, but I'm not too persuaded by the extra stuff on the 36, and the total after paying VAT/etc at Heathrow would be almost £2000.
  • chor808chor808 Frets: 73
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom