Your most disappointing pedal experience versus your most pleasing pedal experience

What's Hot
WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 9000
in FX
Most disappointing - Vox Delaylab. I really thought this would be the one. But it just sounded cack, and the wet dry mix was the least musical sounding thing I've ever heard. And I've heard a lot of Merzbow.

Most pleasing - I have to say, I could rant and rave about many a pedal here. But the first time I heard the MXR M300 Reverb .... jaw meet floor moment. So many lush tones from three bloody knobs!

Yours?
TACOMA NARROWS BRIDGE DISASTER
Anyone who attempts to silence you and prevent you from asking questions on complicated topics, is intent on deceiving you with simplistic answers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 966
    edited July 1
    Most Disappointing - Revival Drive (Woofy, over gainy), D&M Drive (Just Awful), RYRA (Weirdly muddy vs. other klones), Red Panda Context

Most Pleasing - Hudson Sidecar, Mr Black Supermoon and Analogman Chorus
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 271
    Most Disappointing - Bogner Burnley. something really unpleasant about the breakup and the low end.

Most Pleasing - Skreddy Echo

The Skreddy just sits perfectly balanced in the mix. Whether set super wet, or just a simple one or two clean repeats.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1844
    edited June 29
    Well, maybe not *the* most disappointing/pleasing pedal experiences, but amongst the top five (probably).

Disappointing- Crowther Hotcake (2003 version). Sounded harsh and brittle through my Twin Reverb and had a nasty, crackly note decay. After having read about how good it sounded, it was a major disappointment. I hated it.

Pleasing- the same pedal through my mate's AC30. It sounded glorious! It was hard to believe it was the same pedal. Sounded just as good through my (then) newly acquired Orange AD30.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • DTSBDTSB Frets: 5
    most disappointing - gr-700
    most pleasing - hmm harder question --  if I went in the same vein , the gr 300
    the sre 555 was cool...the wife yelled up "that sounds cool" so I go with that
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 3594
    Every Lovepedal except the Les Lius. 

Every JHS pedal I have tried. 

Most surprisingly pleasing was the Caline Pure Sky
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 4182
    Most disappointing would be the mxr fullbore metal. Literally no usable tones for me, so brittle and fizzy even when dialed right back.

Best pedal is the fender reflecting pool, ambience in a box right there. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 5638
    I played a Hudson broadcast in the middle of the hype and was very underwhelmed

Finding out an American sound is as good as its cracked up to be was pretty cool. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 4704
    Most disappointing: King of Tone 
    A bit fizzy, bland and like a bad OCD.

Most pleasing: Blackstone mosfet
    After years of trying tubelike pedals it really was amazingly smooth and amplike, it can cover both my ODR-1 & TD-X board slots and currently I run fuzz or a treble booster into it when I want extra fatness. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 10670
    Disappointing:
    Echolution 2 some very good sounds but glitchy and confusing to use.

Supa Puss bypass and engaged tone were very different, echos clipped, didn't sound as good as the aqua puss.

Bluguitar amp 1 band mates said "that sounds really bad"

Mooer GE200 amp sounds were undynamic and didn't clean up

Pleasing
    Liquid Sunshine V2 - Adds a pleasing bit of texture and sparkle. Stacks with everything

Super Badass - Incredibly versatile and works with anything you throw at it. Best rock sound from a clean amp pedal.

Phase 95 - All the phase sounds you could ever want in a teeny box.

Handsome_Chris said: Like white Nile Rodgers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NeuroneNeurone Frets: 27
    Most disappointing: danelectro spring king. It had everything on paper, a real spring, the dano good looks AND you can kick the pedal as much as you want. But not a single useable tone (it sounds more like a delay chip that it does sound like a spring).

Most pleasing: Boss CE-1. 
    Trading feedback here
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1389
    Most fun = RevivalDrive and Cali76 stacked

meh = the Vox series with a valve in it? Can’t remember the exact name of it ... Brit Boost?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 150
    edited June 30
    Most disappointing: King of Tone 

I criticised the KOT on another forum and was subsequently called out by Analogmike, who indirectly threatened to smash my kneecaps with a monkey wrench
    10reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • dariusdarius Frets: 118

Most pleasing - I have to say, I could rant and rave about many a pedal here. But the first time I heard the MXR M300 Reverb .... jaw meet floor moment. So many lush tones from three bloody knobs!
    Ditto on the MXR. Demo'd and bought at the guitar show, over all that noise i could still hear it was excellent.

Worst = Hotone reverb. Sounded like someone had tried to set a delay pedal to make it a bit reverby. Contained no actual reverb. Moved on within 2 weeks.

• FezFez Frets: 277
    Most disappointing Trex replay delay great sound but impractical in use.

Best Thorpy Gunshot.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 5088
    Most disappointing was the OCD

Most surprisingly good was the Blackstar HT Duel  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 7724
    Good question.

Always aware of recency bias for these things. 

Disappointments - Catalinbread Sabra Cadabra. Did one thing, and the noise floor was outrageous. Mooer Shimverb - whoever made the shimmer a 5th and not an octave needs shot. 

Pleasing - Boss SD-2 and Hungry Robot Moby Dick. Pretty much both were "this is the sound I need in my life" moments.

Special 'kind of disappointing" mention for the Boss SD-1 which is a pedal that I want to like so, so much but just don't. See also: Tubescreamers.
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 150
    edited June 29
    Most disappointing: Boss rv500. Jack of all trades, master of none...

Most surprisingly good: behringer sf300.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 3152
    Most Disappointing

OCD
    Purple plexi
    Love pedal Hi Volt 
    Any Tubescreamer including Hudson sidecar

Most pleasing

Peacekeeper
    Lazyj cruiser
    Palmer Solid Metal 
    Vic Audio 73 Rams head

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 1132
    edited June 29
    I don't know a pedal until I try it in a live band situation.

Most disappointing: An OCD. It sounded great when I tried it in isolation but too thin and scooped in my two guitar band at the time. But the OCD emulation in my Helix LT sounded great in my most recent band, where I'm the only guitarist. So either the OCD emulation in a Helix sounds better than the real thing (more mid) or it's down to the context.

Most pleasing: A Maxon OD9 (basically a tubescreamer). Nothing special in isolation but worked well in a band context.

It's not a competition.
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 501
    edited June 30
    Most disappointing 

OCD - couldn’t find a single usable sound in it (for me - I’m sure it’s brilliant for lots of people). 

Catalinbread DLS and RAH - mainly disappointing because I had had such great experiences previously with the same manufacturer. 

Most pleasing

First time I bought a Klon Centaur - no pedal could sound that good (this was a LONG time ago!)

Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe - unique. 

MXR Phase 95 - bargain of the century - every phase sound I ever wanted (or so I thought... then I got a Phase 99) 

Can i I also make the point that the Hudson Broadcast (single, 24v version) might very well be the best pedal I’ve ever bought! 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 1900
    edited June 30
    Most disappointing EQD Erupter, ZVex Fuzzolo, Marshall GV2....

Most pleasing Hudson Sidecar, I now have two my board...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 2845
    Disappointing, D & M Drive. It was utterly average and uninspiring. 

Pleasing, RevivalTrem. Gorgeous drive, stunning trem.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 346
    Disappointing. Pelican Noiseworks Pelitaur.. just pure shite. 

Pleasing. Hudson Broadcast 24v. EQD Palisades. Mr Black Supermoon. 
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 208
    Disappointing - TC Electronic Dark Matter; I was using a Blackstar HT-5 at the time and the pedal was voiced exactly the same as the overdrive channel on the amp. I could swap between the clean channel with the pedal, and the overdrive channel and there was literally no difference.

Pleasing - Mosky Silver/Golden Horses; I was foolish and blew my Golden Horse with 18V so I bit the bullet and shelled out another £20 for the Silver Horse. I've used them for many applications, always on for a little warmth, clean boost and a volume/gain bump for solos etc. Superb little pedals.
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 159
    Disappointing - Hotone Fury Fuzz sounded lifeless. Line 6 DL4 for its reliability issues.

Pleasing - EQD Erupter has so many good sounds in it and ended my fuzz search. Line 6 DL4 for its sounds, was an integral part of my playing for a few years.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 5074
    Disappointing - Easy this one, TS-808. Dont get it. I obviously dont play the way you need to to make this sound anything other than dull, and neither one thing nor the other. Muddy and mushy you say? - NAILED IT. 

Pleasing - far trickier, as there are so many I've truly loved, so I'll just go for the most recent one rather than the all time greats. Mr. Black Bloodmoon - i've had a Supermoon before and never hesitate to recommend them, so I finally bought another, opting for the slightly re-voiced Bloodmoon. WOW. It's absolutely spectacular and manages to make even the most mundane sound galactic. Utterly beautiful; I think Mr. Black pedals are probably the most underrated of the boutique gentry - I can think of a number of his pedals that sit at the very top end of my favourite pedals of all time. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 19602
    Most disappointing - about the half dozen Big Muffs I've had over the years. Just can't get them to work for me. Give me a fuzz face or tonebender every time.

Most pleasing - Pork Loin. Works with everything.
    AMT F1 preamp. Fantastic, versatile, clean Fender in a box.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 416
    Most disappointing - Boss SD. Just couldn't get it to work for me. Boss distortion pedal. Couldn't get this to work. TC Hall of Fame 1 and 2. Had one, sold it, revisited, sold it. In theory, should have covered all the bases, but something I couldn't quite take to with it. I wouldn't *not* use it again though...

Most pleasing - Boss Blues Driver, Subdecay Spring Theory, EHX Octavia (even though I read some bad comments about it on here! It's perfect for me)

I've been through several reverbs and delays and am currently using Boss delays and reverbs, which I thought would be disappointing based on what you'd read online.
  • althyalthy Frets: 83
    Marshall shredmaster. I wanted to find it good and special but couldn't get a sound I liked out of it. 

The Jackhammer did everything I hoped the Shredmaster to do right away,  for 20 quid.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 48148
    Disappointing - every boutique overdrive pedal I've ever tried. They all just sound bland and boring - apart from all Klon types, which have a characteristic nasty metallic tone. I clearly don't get whatever it is that so many people rave about with any of them...

Pleasing - Boss 40th Anniversary DS-1, the black one. It actually sounds better than the original MIJ one I had, and even better than my DF-2, which was my 'perfect' drive pedal for about twenty years.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter