Heads up on a bargain- Relic Strat neck

What's Hot

Comments

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Well one things for sure Marks frets are going up fast thanks to this thread! 41to 70 in a day,
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    And I like the instrument you built Octatonic but though I can see it has the right number of strings if I didn't know better I would have thought it was a Ukelele?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parlor_guitar
    Know better.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10282
    I have just realised the big problem... you guys on this site, you really take yourselves very seriously don't you?
    You don't come on here much do you?
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16694
    edited July 2014
    Tell you what... how does this look from the other side? 
    I mean in that you all speak as if you make perfect guitars where mine rip off unsuspecting buyers on ebay... can you send me some item numbers of the ones you have for sale so I can go and look and learn?
    Thanks I will look later tonight or in the morning.
    Mark..............
    I have already posted a website link you have ignored, most of the stuff i make these days is by commission - it never sees ebay.   I only use ebay when having the occasional clear out

if it wasn't for that i would happily send you ebay links.  but i have given you plenty of links to go scrutinize my work.  Surprised you didn't look at the fretboard challenge one where i take a cheap guitar and mod it to something much better.  I even set myself the task of using the minimum of special tools for all set-up work, so I thought it would be right up your street.  I suggest you go spend some time down in making and modding before telling us all we don't know what we are talking about
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    edited July 2014
    And I like the instrument you built Octatonic but though I can see it has the right number of strings if I didn't know better I would have thought it was a Ukelele?
    A Ukelele for people with big hands by any chance?

Few pints down the local, quick angle grinder session, remove two tuners and done!

You don't have a dog named Gromit by any chance do you?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited July 2014
    I received an abusive email from Mark, via eBay, where he sounds really desperate and a bit unhinged. 
    This his is clearly getting to him as rather than address the issues with his build he decided to focus on attacking me and the rest of you too. 
    Mark, in the spirit of further learning, the word is 'autistic', not 'ortistic'. 
    And I don't think you know what it means either.

I also don't work via eBay- it isn't the only way to do things, you know.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    To be fair we (as a community) have been insulting to him. And some previous comments have been fairly personal... I'm not criticising, nor am I justifying his actions either. Its just an observation.

But in the spirit of things I have built, Mark... here's one of them, currently being enjoyed by another forum member who has an extensive collection of high end (and not so) guitars...

Now *that* had a big neck - but done the right way. 

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    edited July 2014

Guys - it was a valiant try but sometimes people just can't be helped. You can offer the best advice in the world but if someone has their head up their arse far enough, they won't hear a word of it and you are just wasting your breath.

It's a shame that some young guys just starting out in the guitar world might fall for this guys eBay nonsense and buy one of his abominations but we can't do anything about that. It's now evident that in Mark's world, Mark knows best.

I think it's probably best to just let him get on with it - you can't reason with an idiot!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Wisdom awarded for this phrase...

"you can't reason with an idiot"
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    impmann;302028" said:

And another wisdom from me. I can imagine him with his fingers in his ears chanting "La la la can't hear you. My guitars are wonderful and none of those nasty boys know anything."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    impmann said:

...they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22159
    I have just realised the big problem... you guys on this site, you really take yourselves very seriously don't you?
    Certainly more seriously than you take your guitar business. 

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Certainly more seriously than you take your guitar business. 

The trades description act would probably object to the use of the word "guitar" to describe such mangled pieces of shite. This site has several seasoned professional builders, some seriously good players and some very gifted amateurs. Most guitar teachers would piss themselves laughing at that idiocy posing as a guitar. Ripping off beginners with zero knowledge is a nasty way to go about making money and if you engage in that sort of behaviour most people will think you are a dickhead. Playing zero sum games is a shitty way to go through life and inevitably catches up with the person who does it.

If mr Phillips wishes to go through life with the integrity of Jimmy Saville´s personal assistant it just makes him a snivelling worm, and the fact that his behaviour is now permanently on the internet for all to see means that it is very easy for people to find out what an arsehole he has been. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I am part of another forum and we have a buyer beware section for any instruments which are fake or poor quality, it would be great to have on here as a reference to the buying public
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22159
    Evilmags said:

The trades description act would probably object to the use of the word "guitar" to describe such mangled pieces of shite. This site has several seasoned professional builders, some seriously good players and some very gifted amateurs. Most guitar teachers would piss themselves laughing at that idiocy posing as a guitar. Ripping off beginners with zero knowledge is a nasty way to go about making money and if you engage in that sort of behaviour most people will think you are a dickhead. Playing zero sum games is a shitty way to go through life and inevitably catches up with the person who does it.

In fairness, the sort of 'Fuck me that's ugly' thoughts that ripple through my mind when I see another Phillips Cleartone Conversions guitar gifted to the world are practically identical to the thoughts that go through my mind looking at Gibson press releases featuring their new instrument lines. 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    mrchi said:
    I am part of another forum and we have a buyer beware section for any instruments which are fake or poor quality, it would be great to have on here as a reference to the buying public
    Great idea.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    I don't think he will stop, and refusing to learn how to do it the right way means he will never have to compare himself with or compete with the people that do it the right way.  He's found a little niche which, for whatever reason, exists so he's not going to suddenly start attempting to build proper "normal" guitars because he'd lose the only things which give him a selling point.

Nothing personal against Mark, and I'm far from an expert myself, but the arrogance displayed in the face of people who truly are experts is mind boggling.  Perhaps he should just go back to his bubble, but he can't expect the criticism or derision to stop.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10282
    With his attitude I'm sure at some point he'll be the architect of his own downfall.His work's pretty well known online now due to forums like this one so hopefully he shouldn't be fooling people for too much longer.

Having said that,a fool and his money....
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 908
    I'm in this thread for the lols, but can I point out something to Mr P from the point of amused observer?

Join in the community and stick around - we have a fair bunch of very sound people here, the bellend quota is far lower than elsewhere, I reckon this thread has already given you a few people whose opinion is very much worth seeking.  

• Does anyone actually live near cleartone conversions? I'm genuinely curious to try on or make my own just to put this topic to bed once and for all (if he is not willing to post/demo one). I think we've covered everything we need to here and everyone is throwing around the same insults on both sides.