Heads up on a bargain- Relic Strat neck

What's Hot

Comments

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Yeah I agree, we need a conclusion to this, only prob is he does not allow home visits even to collect a bought guitar so I can't see him letting one of us in, which is a shame, as even tho this thread has given me much amusement, not much more can be said, so maybe the plan of action could be just to comment and point out potential issues and discrepancies on any new guitars he puts up for the sake of ensuring people can read up on him and make an informed decision whether to buy or not,
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    mrchi said:
    Yeah I agree, we need a conclusion to this, only prob is he does not allow home visits even to collect a bought guitar so I can't see him letting one of us in, which is a shame, as even tho this thread has given me much amusement, not much more can be said, so maybe the plan of action could be just to comment and point out potential issues and discrepancies on any new guitars he puts up for the sake of ensuring people can read up on him and make an informed decision whether to buy or not,
    That is how you know he is a con man. No one who I stiffing you is going to want you to have his home address so you could take the issue up with him on a face to face basis. This simple fact tells us that he knows he is stiffing people. A snivelling worm and first class wanker if ever I´ve seen one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Wisdom 4 mags.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22160
    Lew said:
    mdphillips1956;301645" said:
    Now it is time to ride my motorbike and sidecar to the next village for a beer.Thanks,Mark.................
    Please tell me you added the sidecar yourself because you found the bike to narrow -_-
    The truth isn't that far away...

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Hey @WezV, some lovely pieces there dude.

Although a certain Emerald Green one reminds me of a Cleartone Conversion.

;-)

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    I'm not even convinced he's intelligent enough to be a conman. I think Mr Phillips has shown in this thread and the previous one that he's immune to advice and criticism, however well meant. The fact that he sees absolutely no issues with his work and ignores the continued offers of help speaks volumes. He's either breathtakingly arrogant or suffering with psychological issues IMO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    mdphillips1956;301544" said:

it's only you bunch of theorists who insist (with no hands-on knowledge) how terrible my guitars are.Come on boys, wake up and smell the coffee!Mark.................
    @mdphillips1956 hey Mark, it's really not just us. So you raped a 7 string eh?

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/219119-raped-7-string-jackson-ebay-600-gotta-see.html

http://www.robchapman.tv/forum/threads/for-you-big-handed-folk.28839/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited July 2014
    boogieman said:
    I'm not even convinced he's intelligent enough to be a conman. I think Mr Phillips has shown in this thread and the previous one that he's immune to advice and criticism, however well meant. The fact that he sees absolutely no issues with his work and ignores the continued offers of help speaks volumes. He's either breathtakingly arrogant or suffering with psychological issues IMO.
    I've come to see him as the Karl Pilkington of guitar repair.

I suspect he's an unskilled narcissist with no self-awareness, rather than an elaborate joke played out for *someone's* amusement.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    octatonic;303973" said:

I've come to see him as the Karl Pilkington of guitar repair.
    Lol. Spot on and wisdom awarded. >:D<
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrn1989mrn1989 Frets: 240
    NOT THE BUTCHER AGAIN!!!!!
    Fretboard Feedback https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58705/  ALSO Over 500+ 100% feedback eBay transactions 
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Oh for Gawd's sake! 

I can't believe that I only just found the FIRST thread by this joker tonight. It put in my whole evening reading it. Hilarious and yet frightening. Like The League of Gentlemen. 

And now another! 

Seriously, you guys tell me nothing!

I'll just get some wine and settle in at page one. 

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Chuffola said:
    Oh for Gawd's sake! 

I can't believe that I only just found the FIRST thread by this joker tonight. It put in my whole evening reading it. Hilarious and yet frightening. Like The League of Gentlemen. 

And now another! 

Seriously, you guys tell me nothing!

I'll just get some wine and settle in at page one. 

Are you sure you've found the very first one? Feels like there have been quite a few...
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    I think so. The first one that Monsieur Phillips started anyway. I'd seen the previous ones about his guitars.

Entertaining reads...
  • Hello guys,
    Someone asked or said that I appeared to have sanded off the veneer? No as far as I can remember the body is just as it arrived through the post a few weeks ago... I think I smoothed a few rough edges perhaps, but the strat is tucked away safe right now and I forget.
    A few of my guitar friends have played the strat in my studio here and all said it plays as well as any good gigging standard guitar... but I don't say that expecting it to be believed here, as I don't want to become one of the people who either talk up their own work, or talk down other people's... I just make my guitars play as well as I can and mostly people who buy them give good reports... not always of course!
    Mark.................
    ps. Thanks mrchi for a pleasant-toned message... bit of a shock on this site! I am sure many of you are pleasant enough guys when not hiding behind inflated egos and safety in numbers; I am sure that one to one we could talk guitars over a beer and find we are not so different?
  • Hi again,
    I just realised there are many mails from July I had never seen and caught up with!
    I saw someone (I forget who?) say they were attacked by me by email? maybe I was stressed as I am not generally given to being nasty (not like you lot anyway)? I forget when that happened and apologise if I was offensive but would need reminding what I said.
    I quite enjoy buying and modding strats and stuff, but I am phasing standard guitars out slowly so I can devote more time and space to wide neck acoustics and electrics... I might keep doing telecasters and basses and a few Frankenstrats maybe (just to entertain the troops!).
    MIJ Pauls increasingly leave me underwelmed though I might not be able to resist one now and then at the right price.
    Mostly I am just praying for rain and the end of the summer as I have hardly been selling one guitar a fortnight since this heat arrived!... (though a couple this week I think?) though fewer guitar sales has meant my motorbike and sidecar got its fuel injection and MOT sorted at the other end of my studio workshop and the guitar I posted on Saturday was the first to travel to town in the sidecar for seven years!
    And is he willing to post/demo a guitar?
    He is probably very happy to do it if he knows what is required?
    Run it past we sometime Littlethoughts?
    Cheers all,
    Mark......................
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927

I feel the lurve.....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    I think when you're talking about 'MIJ Pauls' you're talking about bolt-on plywood efforts (such as Satellite).  The proper MIJ LPs are an entirely different beast.
  • I salute you @mdphillips1956 ;

You take all the abuse that people on here dole out and still keep being so very pleasant.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Actually yeah have to agree, nice change of tune md Phillips!
  • Hello Guitar Monkey,
    Well it is very important for some people to feel they look tough and to display this to their comrades in the tribe... it is okay with me; I love guitars and I try my best to make them play for people as well as I can; that is quite important for me, while for many it is more important to look tough and to tell all your friends they know lots of stuff so they will tell you back how much you know... etc!
    Why do I come on here to have the shit ripped out of me?
    I suppose it's just to fight my little corner... sensible people a few years on have little respect for phoney luthier sites like this, but most of my guitar customers are still though not beginners, still at an impressionable sort of guitar stage, so I suppose I come to fight a sort of rear-guard action.
    It looks pretty hopeless I guess: one lone voice against fifty who claim to be the top luthiers in the country... what chance do I stand? A recent would be buyer mailed me saying he had read on here I was the biggest rip-off merchant in the UK, but he wondered if it could really all be true so decided to buy anyway... he did, and it turned out he loved the guitar!
    The people who claim on here to really know how dreadful my guitars are, are people who have never touched one... while most who buy and play them really like them!
    This site seems all about snobbery: the previous mailer who calls himself Rox... to him made in Japan only means made in Japan if it is the guitars he says are the right guitars to be called made in Japan... everyone here seems desperate to pump up their own importance... the biggest cheese luthiers act like the high priests and the others bow to them but try to absorb some reflected glory.
    To me I am sorry but they all come across as phoney air-guitar luthiers because I cannot believe anyone with a real love of music or guitars could be so far up their own... well you know what I am saying Guitar Monkey!
    I don't get this luthier built guitar thing... I mean for ordinary people.
    A luthier near me just says on his website page giving his prices: from £3,000 up... does he get the shit ripped out of him for charging three grand for something someone is just going to strum a few chords on? On here he would be the high Priest because he can charge so much; while I sell a guitar for £250 that probably plays just as well and I am a criminal and it is fair game to call me every kind of rotten bastard under the sun!
    It doesn't worry me, at least it tells me the sort of jerks I am dealing with!
    Well the great thing about the internet is that it lets people remain faceless while they construct what they wish they really were around their online persona.
    But it's okay... just gets a bit tedious at times?
    Nice to chat to a normal bloke,
    Mark....................

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom