FAIR WARNING: LOL/Wow/Wis changes

What's Hot
18910111214»

Comments

• mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    edited July 2020
    mattdavis said:
    mattdavis said:
    Genuine question, as I am constantly bombarded by information governance issues at work. Are you allowed to retrospectively change the way data is handled without getting the consent of the individual concerned? Genuinely interested as we have to go through gazillions of hoops to make tiny changes to data processing. 
    There was never any promise or guarantee (or even a vague statement!) made about them being anonymous, or about the purpose for which the data was collected; even more so, I've stated on several occasions (in very public threads) that the storage wasn't anonymous and that I could easily interrogate the database to find out who LOLd what.

Apart from anything, it's not personal data, so the GDPR doesn't apply...and on a site like this, the GDPR is the only law that really matters (even then, it doesn't matter much).
    There’s lots of information in posts that make the data identifiable - people link to websites, use their own names in user names and in the text etc. I’m not trying to be an arsehole (so sorry if you think I’m being an arsehole) and I personally don’t object to the change. I  am just aware that I’ve read things where you’ve, rightly, advised people to be careful in what they post due to possible legal ramifications for the site (mainly to do with possible defamation) and I would not want you falling foul of data protection legislation - you guys do awesome work keeping this place going. I think there is an argument that historical data that could, in some cases, be identified to an individual, is being used in a new way, and that some people could reasonably object to that. 
    I will now shut up and get back in my box. 
    Cheers
    We've had quite extensive analysis done - there is very little identifiable information stored in any structured (and verifiable) way on this site, and none of that data is ever used for a purpose other than that for which it was originally collected (which is a huge part of the GDPR). Even if somebody did try to make that argument...there isn't a single forum or social media site out there which maintains anonymity with likes etc, so there would be no expectation of anonymity in general terms here anyway.

Apart from anything, adding a display function to the reactions couldn't possibly be termed "a change in the way the data is handled", otherwise no interactive website would ever be allowed to make even minor functionality changes without a full GDPR review; that's not the purpose of the GDPR. If that's what your employer is doing, then they're either a) excessively paranoid, or b) completely misunderstanding the body of the GDPR.

This isn't me having a pop, by the way, and I appreciate the thought. I've just been stuck with dealing with GDPR in every job I've had to do since it came into force.
    Not perceiving any pop at all - and definitely none intended from me to you. Perhaps the advice we’ve received has been too risk averse. Cheers 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7104
    @digitalscream ;

No desperately strong feelings on the frets-being-public thing but can I request that forum changes be announced somewhere thats NOT Off Topic? Lots of people don't ever venture in here, it shouldn't be used for announcements really (IMO). 
    Thinking of the context of why the change was made - people using LOLs like the school bully off The Simpsons rather than to indicate “Ha, good joke” - O/T is the best place to put the announcement.  I’m sure there’s lots more drive by LOLing in O/T and P&E than any other areas.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    How is everybody? 

I am using my phone 99% of the time so I'm yet to see the change in flesh but I was expecting fireworks and its pretty quiet here...
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
     BigBearKris said:
    How is everybody? 

I am using my phone 99% of the time so I'm yet to see the change in flesh but I was expecting fireworks and its pretty quiet here...
    I suspect it's quiet here because so many of us use mobiles and touch pads to access the site that the fret changes are meaningless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27674
    Jimbro66 said:
     BigBearKris said:
    How is everybody? 

I suspect it's quiet here because so many of us use mobiles and touch pads to access the site that the fret changes are meaningless.
    And because a few people have just been disappeared.  Silently in the night.  No fuss.  No post on the modmin interventions thread.  Gone.

(well, they deserved  it, LOL'ing *me*)

:D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958
    I'm still here luvvies...

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    I'm still here luvvies...
    Are you sure? I can't see you. Can anyone else see RF??
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8754
    Who?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2940
    How is everybody? 

Spiffing, old chap, thanks for asking.  Hope the world is treating you well.

Toddle pip.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9608
    Randolph can barely play tambourine, let alone guitar!
    Awarded a genuine LOL. =)
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited July 2020
    TTony said:
    Jimbro66 said:
     BigBearKris said:
    How is everybody? 

And because a few people have just been disappeared.  Silently in the night.  No fuss.  No post on the modmin interventions thread.  Gone.

D
    As the changes were made to make for a more transparent forum, a secret “hit squad” style removal of members would fly in the face of that transparency no?

Unless of course I'm wildly wrong.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16300
    Ahh, it's working in the laptop. 

Right, now I know that I'll get on with the rest of my life. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27674
    poopot said:
    TTony said:
    Jimbro66 said:
     BigBearKris said:
    How is everybody? 

D
    As the changes were made to make for a more transparent forum, a secret “hit squad” style removal of members would fly in the face of that transparency no?

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    TTony said:
    poopot said:
    TTony said:
    Jimbro66 said:
     BigBearKris said:
    How is everybody? 

D

Needs bigger tits to be me tony!..
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom