ASL From the maker of … Oil City!

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10468
    edited December 2014 tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:

Does one of those "Big Block" pickups have bigger polepieces than the other, or are my eyes playing tricks?

Indeed, one has huge 1/4 inch alnico 5 poles ... the other has standard Fender diameter ones. Developing stuff that others aren't doing ... more details when I can release them :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I can envisage another build... A Tele with a single pickup and one of those bitchin' looking big block pickups. I don't know what they are, or what they sound like, but they look awesome! One of those in a Tele with a gotoh humbuggy bridge would look the nuts :)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27571
    We already have a few Fretboard members with some ASL pickups - certainly a few Transonics and a couple of Eruptions.

Here are a pair of prototype ASL "Big Block" single coils we have conjured up for some work we are doing for UFO's Paul Raymond.

Yup, one of those will do very nicely, thank you.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    We already have a few Fretboard members with some ASL pickups - certainly a few Transonics and a couple of Eruptions.

Here are a pair of prototype ASL "Big Block" single coils we have conjured up for some work we are doing for UFO's Paul Raymond.

These differ from the Mighty Nineties as they have slug magnet polepieces, whicgh has meant a certain amount of building from the ground up for Ash.
    The idea has been to bring some non-typical Gibson / humbucker sounds to guitars that are routed for humbuckers.

These two are based on windings and construction pickups better known for being punchy yet "twangy", yet placing them in something like a Les Paul or SG will yield a very different result to their more traditional homes, and yet still bring much of the essence of the twangier guitar.

Still much testing to be done, but I suspect it's going to lead to some interesting ideas being sprung.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• I'm very interested to hear those in a Les Paul. As you're well aware, that twanginess in a LP is a concept that intrigues me :-)
    edited December 2014 tFB Trader
    The LP concept is capable of many more sounds that we normally associate with it. Jonathan and I are intrigued by how many 'classic' pickup types could be adapted to the humbucker size format.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ......that could be awesome....
    tFB Trader
    ......that could be awesome....
    That's what we figured ... 
    I have spent many hours rebuilding and rewinding classic pickups from many manufacturers, from DeArmond and Gretsch to Rickenbacker and early even Fender so I have amassed a large file of info on the classic makes and specs. I have a huge soft spot for single coils, and I think there are loads more great tones out there than people believe. 

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    The LP concept is capable of many more sounds that we normally associate with it. Jonathan and I are intrigued by how many 'classic' pickup types could be adapted to the humbucker size format.
    the exact opposite of what your making for me!
    tFB Trader
    For every ying there's a yang (or a tong) :-)

• You're so right, I love seeing some of the old mij pickups - they look bizarre, but I often wonder if they have any particularly interesting qualities to the sound.

It's not just pafs, tele, strat and p90s after all :)
    tFB Trader
    Am awful lot of the weird and wonderful Japanese pickups sounded quite good. Often in the early days they used whatever odd magnets came to hand ... and certainly didn't pot them. Happy accident rather than careful design created the blend ... but when it works, it works.

tFB Trader
    Ok - tried out the two beasts in my Lion Cub.
    The Ricky Hi-Gain style pickup (the onewith the bigger poles) was like the Beatles on steroids and was easy to fall into playing Jam era Paul Weller too. Suspect REM stuff would have been tempting too if I knew any. Was interesting hearing it in a mahogany body rather than a maple guitar like a Rick - probably less twangy and bass-light than it would have been in the Rick.

The Broadcaster type wind was a bit more as expected - thick and yet spangly tele-lovliness
    Here it is still in there:

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22903
    Ok - tried out the two beasts in my Lion Cub.
    The Ricky Hi-Gain style pickup (the onewith the bigger poles) was like the Beatles on steroids and was easy to fall into playing Jam era Paul Weller too. Suspect REM stuff would have been tempting too if I knew any.

I'm surprised you knew any Jam era Paul Weller Jonathan!
    :P

(I'm impressed, I certainly wouldn't know any myself)

tFB Trader
    Err - I accidentally found myself playing something that sounded like That's entertainment.........
    I guess being 14 or 15 when they were popular meant that they crept into your conciousness whether you liked it or not.

I had classmates who were big Jam fans....I was more into Queen, Fleetwood Mac and The Boomtown Rats

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22903
    I had classmates who were big Jam fans....I was more into Queen, Fleetwood Mac and The Boomtown Rats

Yeah, I had friends who were into The Jam, The Buzzcocks, The Stranglers.... I was an ELO fan for a while then discovered Rainbow, Whitesnake, Deep Purple and Rush... and so it went from then on.

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Philly_Q said:

Yeah, I had friends who were into The Jam, The Buzzcocks, The Stranglers.... I was an ELO fan for a while then discovered Rainbow, Whitesnake, Deep Purple and Rush... and so it went from then on.

Rainbow...what a band!
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:

yes - I also found those bands - buying Whitesnake's Fool for your Loving was a good day........think it was only a short while later my cousin got me into Def Leppard, Kiss and UFO

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    wow that lion cub is very nice :D
    tFB Trader
    One of the Blackmachine customers breaking in his ASL blackbirds