Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Famous Artists You Have Played With Or Supported

What's Hot

Comments

• The ska/2Tone covers band I'm in was on the same festival bill as The Selector...

and an ELO tribute band...

...which sounds way more glamorous than it was, but had a huge amount of fun.
    I do love The Selecter, a bit underrated in many ways. Pauline has become a bit eccentric as she's got older so not everyone's cup of tea but one of my favourite bands. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have supported the following moderately known acts on the same stage:

Cornershop
    Jah Wobble
    The Christians
    The Quireboys
    Transglobal Underground
    Gilles Peterson
    The drummer from James solo band

However if we're counting "playing at the same festival" then I'll claim Cypress Hill, Ziggy Marley, Toots & The Maytals, Sisters of Mercy, Levellers, etc etc....! :D

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have supported the following moderately known acts on the same stage:

Cornershop
    Jah Wobble
    The Christians
    The Quireboys
    Transglobal Underground
    Gilles Peterson
    The drummer from James solo band

However if we're counting "playing at the same festival" then I'll claim Cypress Hill, Ziggy Marley, Toots & The Maytals, Sisters of Mercy, Levellers, etc etc....! :D

The fact that I had to stretch it to "same festival bill" gives you an indication of my music "career" to date   :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    Played as an in house covers band for American Express at their annual conference (80's) warming up for Paul Daniels. He was very good to watch from a few metres away. He stuck people to their chairs which freaked them out.
  • I played on stage with Chris Helme from the Seahorses, when he played a mini-festival in my home-town. Me and my mate played around the pubs and usually done a couple of Seahorses songs. I got speaking to Chris before the gig started and mentioned to him that we had to drop the tunes, so he asked if I wanted to get up and play with him. Was brilliant to be able to do that in front of a lot of mates in my home town.

Our band supported him another time after that, and then he actually played at my mate's wedding the following year. We still keep in touch, he's a great guy!

2020 was supposed to be a good summer of gigs for both of my bands - lined up to share the stage with some decent acts - Manic Street Preachers, The Charlatans, Fun Lovin' Criminals, Kaiser Chiefs, Embrace, Del Amitri.

Thanks Covid! 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

Way back in early 80s I had a jam with a fella called Andy Allan who was the singer in a punk band called The Professionals. He was a really good bloke and got us a gig supporting his other band (Andy Allan's Future) at Dingwalls.

Late 80s I had a jam with an ex-guitarist from The Dogs D'Amour, cannot remember his name.

I was also the bassist in a band who were managed by a bloke called John Wadlow, who went on to be Seal's manager.

But best of all.....I printed Logan Plant's (son of Robert) wedding invitations.

And I also printed some barbecue invitations for Nigel Kennedy.

• I’ve done a few bigger folk clubs where I’ve been the warm up act for Robert Plant (x1) and Ralph McTell (x2).

Was up before Paul Young (Los Pacaminos) at a festival, and supported The Levellers twice.

• TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    proggy said:

And I also printed some barbecue invitations for Nigel Kennedy.

This wins the thread, I reckon!

Presumably there was lashings of Four Seasons sauce?
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Supported Paul Simon and James Taylor a couple years back at Hyde Park. Done a fair few festivals with some amazing bands playing after us. Shared a dressing room with Sister Sledge a few years back and Andy Fairweather Low invited me to eat some cake with his band as it was Dave Bronzes birthday. I was happy with that one as must have watched Concert For George 1000 times and both were part of that band. 

Always feels amazing to say these accolades, and meeting any of them is amazing, James Taylor is the sweetest man ive ever met, as well as Steve Gadd who was playing for him, but to be honest as life changing as i thought those encounters might be before hand, im still stoned and on youtube at 2am wondering what pedal i should sell to make rent. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited September 2020

Was up before Paul Young (Los Pacaminos) at a festival...

I did many covers band gigs with John Tonks who drummed for them. A superb drummer.

In fact, sadly I'm mainly one or two steps removed from the title of the thread. I've played with loads of musicians who have played with famous artists. It's a bit pitiful really
    It's not a competition.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    In my originals band, we support The Almighty in Newport Centre (not the big hall, the small one), Brutal Deluxe and a couple of smaller shows.  However, I have played TJs twice before it closed and thats a proper right of passage. 

Interestingly, the drummer in my covers band that has disbanded, was the drummer in Hondo Maclean / The Future, who were one of my fave bands when I was in my 20s. 
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    I loved TJs. What a legendary venue. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I played in a signed band for ten years throughout my twenties.  Not including festivals, here's some of the bands we were lucky enough to support

Funeral For A Friend
    Billy Tallent
    Avenged Sevenfold
    Lostprophets
    My Chemical Romance
    Linkin Park
    Limp Bizkit
    Paramore
    Blink 182
    You Me at Six

There's loads more, those are just some of the bigger names.  
    So, who were you in again?
  • Played in an alt-country kinda band in my twenties and managed to get support slots with a lot of acts I liked... good memories of playing with The Hold Steady, American Music Club, Richmond Fontaine, Gary Louris and Mark Olson of The Jayhawks (seperately) and recently departed legend John Prine. I miss these kind of gigs!
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    proggy said:

Late 80s I had a jam with an ex-guitarist from The Dogs D'Amour, cannot remember his name.

@proggy ;Think that might be Stephen James who runs an eponymous guitar shop in Middlesbrough. 

Stretching this thread a little, I discovered recently that a guy I play footy with used to run the Town and Country Club in London. Met Bowie when he was doing his Tin Machine thing and god knows who else...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Played in an alt-country kinda band in my twenties and managed to get support slots with a lot of acts I liked... good memories of playing with The Hold Steady, American Music Club, Richmond Fontaine, Gary Louris and Mark Olson of The Jayhawks (seperately) and recently departed legend John Prine. I miss these kind of gigs!
    That’s a cool list.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Hattigol said:
    proggy said:

@proggy ;Think that might be Stephen James who runs an eponymous guitar shop in Middlesbrough. 

Stretching this thread a little, I discovered recently that a guy I play footy with used to run the Town and Country Club in London. Met Bowie when he was doing his Tin Machine thing and god knows who else...
    @Hattigol   It could have been him, but I honestly can't remember his name.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Erm no one really famous. Unless you listen to BBC 6 Music religiously.

Americana legend Josh Pearson (Lift To Experience) who was an absolute sweetheart. As he was just headlining with an acoustic and we were the middle of a three act Bill. He let us sound check for as long as we wished which was great. He was a lovely guy. Great performer too. 

Nottingham “legends” Six.By Seven. They were OK but their singer was going out of his way to intimidate us. He accused the bassist of stealing a box of singles.  A few years later I read an interview where he confessed to struggling with long term mental health issues. So I just assume he was having a bad day. The other guys in the band were fine. 

Manchester Indie Gloomists The Open were nice lads but again they had a coked up tour manager who accused myself and the drummer of theft. Then apologised and spent the rest of the gig telling me I played like John McGeoch our the banshees. This was fine but the kissing my cheek and stroking my arm was deeply uncomfortable. 

• I supported Showaddywaddy once and also Roots Manuva

That's about as big of a gap as I can imagine :)
    I once saw Showaddywaddy supporting Einstürzende Neubauten!!

I was in a band that was first on the bill for Talking Head's penultimate gig.  We were later offered a choice of supports for Iggy Pop or the Dead Kennedys.  We chose Iggy....and he cancelled.
  • jamesoliver1234jamesoliver1234 Frets: 1268
    edited October 2020
    I've supported
    Albert Lee
    Bill Kirchen
    Greg Koch
    crazy cavan and the rhythm
    dr feelgood
    rick estrin and the nightcats
    john otway
    the groundhogs
    man
    deke leonard
    rosie flores
    billy bremner
    geno washington
    gerry macovoy's band of friends rory gallaghers rhythm section
    rosie flores 
    geraint watkins

ive played with deke leonard.. bill kirchen ,, billy bremner and ben waters whos a world class piano player.

ive been really luck to meet some of my hero's 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom