Zoe Ball's pay rise wtf

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 22963
Can someone explain to me why in the current economic situation, with people being made redundant due to Covid-19 and lockdown, why Zoe Ball deserves a £990K pay rise so that she now earns £1.4 million for hosting a radio show? Fiona Bruce has had a £195K rise just for hosting Question Time which means she'll be well over a million with the Antiques Roadshow. Both seem pretty underwhelming to me.

I can see why Graham Norton is paid so much - his show also makes money for the BBC but nobody outside the UK listens to R2 or watches QT.

Rant over.
Has left the building

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• They're laundering cash through their OnlyFans pages.
    TACOMA NARROWS BRIDGE DISASTER
    `Karera wa mizu o nigora sete, sore o fukai yō ni misete imasu.' - Furīdorihi nīche
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 573
    Presuambly to reduce the gap between male and female pay packets at the BBC.  It won't be for their 'talent' or revenue generating potential.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 3730
    Lineker has signed a new contract. Next year his salary will drop by £400k. They'll both be on roughly the same money.

Equality innit.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 5844
    Surely Alan Shearer is the issue, works once a week saying 'they need to shoot more' etc for nearly £400k - and he's already  wealthy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SnapSnap Frets: 3974
    I think once you've started listening to R2, you have given up.....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 22963
    Dodge said:
    Presuambly to reduce the gap between male and female pay packets at the BBC.  It won't be for their 'talent' or revenue generating potential.

Just daft though. She's on the radio and yes she's added listeners but a cynic like me will say that's more to do with lockdown. Lineker at least fronts a lot of sports shows on TV. It's got to be easier to speak into a mic in a studio and play a few records than it is to front a TV show. Plus what about all the other radio presenters? Lauren Laverne is 'only' being paid £399K.

I'm sounding like the Emperor now ... :-)
    Has left the building

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 11440
    Market forces.

Just about every BBC presenter could go to ITV and earn twice as much. 

Also most BBC programs are produced by independent production companies and the stars earn waaaay more than that.

It's always the radio presenters on the list because they are usually the only ones who are directly employed.
    Handsome_Chris said: Like white Nile Rodgers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 3730
    Fretwired said:
    Dodge said:

Just daft though. She's on the radio and yes she's added listeners but a cynic like me will say that's more to do with lockdown. Lineker at least fronts a lot of sports shows on TV. It's got to be easier to speak into a mic in a studio and play a few records than it is to front a TV show. Plus what about all the other radio presenters? Lauren Laverne is 'only' being paid £399K.

I'm sounding like the Emperor now ... :-)
    TBH, I think Ball has a much more difficult job. Lineker has the same conversations every week. 

"So, lots to talk about. What do we make of that penalty decision..." 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 6990
    Market forces.

Good luck to them. Then the next one in line can have a go at presenting. In his early days on R5, it may even have as far back as R2, Lineker stank the place out, he's been trained and others can be similarly trained. 

Get the really good broadcasters like Mark Chapman and Ellie Oldroyd to do it. 

How many people record MOTD and fast forward through the endless and often pointless analysis? A shorter, more direct and less flabby programme would be great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 11031
    edited September 15
    Those 2 bints are worth every penny of my licence fee, if I could, I would pay more.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 10289
    Presumably her negotiation stance was ‘ at least I’m not Sara Cox’ at which point they just threw the money at her. 
    When the rich wage war it’s the poor who die. 
    Jean-Paul Sartre 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 49443
    I used to find Steve Wright annoying until I started listening to Zoe Ball...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 1651
    edited September 15

How many people record MOTD and fast forward through the endless and often pointless analysis? A shorter, more direct and less flabby programme would be great.
    Exactly. The 'expert pundits' are often an absolute joke. All the decent ones go to Sky for more wedge. It's an old boys club and nobody's interested. I'd be much happier with a Trans World Sport-style format with a simple, unobtrusive voiceover. No need for a studio, presenters or pundits on a highlights show.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Market forces. 
    ...and expensive agents.
    During the Covid19 period, we're running a "phone a friend" facility.  Just to hear a voice, keep in touch, etc. , using "JitSi".

There's a Jitsi iOS/Android App, or you can just connect from a browser.

https://meet.jit.si/theFretBoard  |    pw: theFB  |    0121 468 3154  |  1000 and 2000 daily.
    Lebarque said:

Exactly. The 'expert pundits' are often an absolute joke. All the decent ones go to Sky for more wedge. It's an old boys club and nobody's interested. I'd be much happier with a Trans World Sport-style format with a simple, unobtrusive voiceover. No need for a studio, presenters or pundits on a highlights show.

I suspect BBC Sports will probably go before very long.
    They aren't going to have the budget for negotiating rights once the online platforms get involved.

The main problem is the requirement for the "Crown Jewels" which have to be free to air.

They could probably do a deal with a commercial broadcaster, but the current government may just scrap the legislation.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 3309
    Market forces.

This is true, but the BBC are publicly funded, why not just let them go and replace them from people within?
    Are the public really demanding these highly paid already famous people?  Most people would be happy with relative unknowns as long as they are good at their job.

You have to wonder why on a publicly funded platform we pay radio DJ's 10x what we pay the PM.
    That said, it does explain Boris.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Market forces.

This is true, but the BBC are publicly funded, why not just let them go and replace them from people within?
    Are the public really demanding these highly paid already famous people?  Most people would be happy with relative unknowns as long as they are good at their job.

You have to wonder why on a publicly funded platform we pay radio DJ's 10x what we pay the PM.

That does happen to an extent as people often start on the BBC and then move to Sky, ITV etc.

People want personalities, that's why films have the faces of the stars and their names in big letters.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 3604
    tFB Trader
    Snap said:
    I think once you've started listening to R2, you have given up.....
    Apart from Pop Master. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 8555
    edited September 15

When you put it like that, we should be paying those DJs a hell of a lot more.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • It’s like footballers , I don’t like football  but if they are good  at it people will pay  top whack for them , like someone on here said recently about Robbie Williams playing someone’s birthday party for what was it ? A million ?  

Plus  I guess the tax on the high income will go into the coffers ,  all those footballers paying tax and those bbc presenters , plus the millions of everyday joes , it all helps .

• stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 5661
    edited September 15

Plus  I guess the tax on the high income will go into the coffers ,  all those footballers paying tax and those bbc presenters , plus the millions of everyday joes , it all helps .

That depends whether or not Jimmy Carr has introduced them to his accountant...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 8555
    stevebrum said:

That depends whether or not Jimmy Carr has introduced them to his accountant...
    Footballers certainly pay a lot of tax, they get most of their wages through PAYE.  Of course they also have endorsement deals etc which allow for a bit of creative tax plannning...
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 22963
    edited September 15

I agree .. Boris and JRM don't need the money and the peanuts we pay our politicians means people with real talent do something else.

You only have to look at YouTube to see some really creative and engaging presenters running their own channels. Hire some of them. BBC pay is going through the roof at a time when programs are being cut. More Mrs Brown's boys anyone?

I don't think Zoe Ball is worth £1 million and neither is Lineker. And what happened to diversity? The top paid people at the BBC are middle-aged and white.

Edit:

Apparently Zoe Ball has 900,000 fewer listeners than Chris Evans whom she replaced. So that's an £1 for every listener she lost ... :-)
    Has left the building

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 1672
    Lebarque said:

@lebarque I didn't know you were into trans.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 1651
    Lebarque said:

@lebarque I didn't know you were into trans.
    I'm full of mystery and surprises, as you know.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • I think if the presenters could all get twice the amount of money on itv then they should be allowed to do so - they wouldn't all be able to as itv is not endlessly rich so then they would have to return with their tails between their legs and accept the lesser offer from the BBC.

I don't see why they are that essential anyway - people watch match of the day for the football not for the talking (which is hopelessly biased and bland anyway)
    When the heartbeat drives you mad, remember what you had
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 3249
    I really don’t see how this can be sustained. 
    My kids don’t watch much regular TV, they stream everything. 
    Surely terrestrial TV is doomed, and the fat salaries with them. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 3309
    It’s like footballers , I don’t like football  but if they are good  at it people will pay  top whack for them , like someone on here said recently about Robbie Williams playing someone’s birthday party for what was it ? A million ?  

Footballers don’t play for a publicly funded entity, they play for clubs who’s membership is optional. Plus the skills required for a top level footballer are not easily replaced.

To replace a DJ you just need somebody who can talk and is irritating.  There’s a few people with those qualifications in my house, but nobody I’d put up front for United  ;)

I’m not against high profile personalities getting played a lot, I just think the BBC shouldn’t be paying over a million a year for somebody who could do the job well and offer a lot better value.  No doubt it’s a lot more complicated than that though.....
    TheMarlin said:
    I really don’t see how this can be sustained. 
    My kids don’t watch much regular TV, they stream everything. 
    Surely terrestrial TV is doomed, and the fat salaries with them. 

Nope

The average age of a linear TV viewer is now 60 and getting older every year.

BAME viewing is tiny.

A growing number of people don't need a TV licence.

Content creation is sloshing with silicon valley money.

They are screwed.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 5290
    Why doesn't the BBC go over to the Netflix model, people who like BBC content can pay a monthly subscription and log in and watch it. 
    Those of us with no interest in Zoe Ball, Eastenders and whatever other crap they make can spend our money elsewhere without being branded a licence dodging criminal 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter