Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PRS Custom - 22 vs 24?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    Makes sense - pretty much ties in with recent Ebay sales too. Thanks man
    If I were you, I would decide on whether I want a 5 blade or rotary first.  That affects the most.

2nd I would decide on the pick up, do you want 57/08, 85/15, Dragons, 59/09 etc.

Then let colours, 10-tops be whatever that pops up as these don't affect playability except their price.  If it has a dent, missing tags, it's in your benefit to argue some price off.  If you want a specific colour then of course you can wait.  The good thing is PRS market usually have good to mint conditions as people know condition dictates it's value more than other brands.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited October 2020
    Just be aware that at least one of the 5 way rotary tones isn't replicated on the 3 blade push pull versions. The 5 way rotary is therefore nearer the inbetween Strat tones.  It was important to me, and I'm so used to the rotary control now it's easy for me to switch tones instantly, and faster than having to use a 3 way and push pull.

The newer 5 blade approach is better of course, which wasnt available when I bought mine, and as far as I'm aware does capture the Strat like inbetween tones well but I've not played one.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72366
    Voxman said:
    Just be aware that at least one of the 5 way rotary tones isn't replicated on the 3 blade push pull versions. The 5 way rotary is therefore nearer the inbetween Strat tones.  It was important to me, and I'm so used to the rotary control now it's easy for me to switch tones instantly, and faster than having to use a 3 way and push pull.

The newer 5 blade approach is better of course, which wasnt available when I bought mine, and as far as I'm aware does capture the Strat like inbetween tones well but I've not played one.
    This is right. There are three completely different sets of sounds.

The toggle switch + pull-switch gives you six sounds vs. five on the rotary, including the outer neck single coil which is the 'Strat neck pickup' sound - but not the inner coils in parallel, which is the 'Strat in-between' one... at least on the 24s, it's not anywhere near as good on the 22s, so the rotary is more useful on the 24s and the toggle is more useful on the 22s. On the rotary, all the sounds are hum-cancelling, whereas on the toggle the two single coils of each pickup alone sounds aren't.

The newer lever switch version appears to split just one pickup in each of the 2 and 4 positions, so they're not perfectly Strat-like and aren't hum-cancelling, but I haven't played one either yet so I don't know how close they are.

The annoying thing is that none of them are easy to modify to give a different set of sounds, if those are what you want - although you could do it by replacing the rotary with an open-frame type, the lever switch with a Superswitch, or the toggle by adding a second push-pull.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Voxman said:

I'm with you, I prefer the in-between and middle tones off of the rotary switch - though not the earliest version, with the cocked-wah middle position!  :s

The 5-way blade switch versions offer a slightly different take again on these tones, but still pretty usable. Given the choice I would go for one of these and re-wire with a megaswitch it to match the rotary coil selection instead.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2199
    I have to say, these new 35th anniversary Custom 24s do look very appealing:  

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/prs/35th-anniversary/?Ordering=1&InStockOnly=True&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=

Fishboy7 said:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/prs/35th-anniversary/?Ordering=1&InStockOnly=True&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=

£3800 though!!!!

• Fishboy7 said:

£3800 though!!!!

Aye, ridiculous money for one when you think for what else you can get for ~£2k or less!
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    edited October 2020
    I've got a DGT and CE24 Semi Hollow. I do prefer the look of 22 fret PRS guitars. I was incredibly fortunate to win the CE24 in a guitar raffle. @ICBM is bang on, I'd never thought of it until now but the 24 does feel more akin to a SG style guitar. That's probably why I really wanted a Custom 24 initially, as my main guitar was an SG.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Got a £1700 offer for this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184407278099

Too high, right? I wouldn't be after a case queen (don't mind a few dinks in places), but given the condition and age that strikes me as a bit optimistic...
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    That would get about £1250 here I feel, I know the forum tends to be lower (no fees, trust etc) but that is high.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, also strikes me as a bit odd that it has kluson tuners and not the PRS lockers (then again, there's no screw holes left over so it's doesn't like it's ever had them). Shame, that top is right in my wheelhouse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2020
    Yeah, also strikes me as a bit odd that it has kluson tuners and not the PRS lockers (then again, there's no screw holes left over so it's doesn't like it's ever had them). Shame, that top is right in my wheelhouse.
    Honestly though, tops like that are 2 a penny on PRS, I wouldn't let that upset you.

And I agree, not sure why it has Klusons, i know some people like them, i do too, but i think on a PRS they feel wrong, especially a Custom 24.
  • Yeah, also strikes me as a bit odd that it has kluson tuners and not the PRS lockers (then again, there's no screw holes left over so it's doesn't like it's ever had them). Shame, that top is right in my wheelhouse.
    They’re definitely not the stock ones. This one would have shipped with Phase II tuners, some versions came with screw holes at the 180o position, so they’d be hidden by the kluson mount. You can still see the marks from the original larger washers on the front of the headstock.

In the condition this one’s in it shouldn’t get more than £1200 imo, absolute max.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2199
    That one looks really shabby. I would definitely skip that.

This one looks like a much better proposition;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133552841143

• Fishboy7 said:

Yes I saw that one and thought the other vendor will probably struggle a bit...
    Fishboy7 said:

Where is the original case?  I know you don't carry them round and something like a Gigibag would be better but you also don't throw them away, or lose them!

Definitely room for haggle just for that, those cases are not cheap..i mean if you are going to haggle with missing tags, a case replacement is like £200.
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    I wouldn't give £1000 for that ebay one in that condition!