Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

There's a blob in my binding!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14502
    It just looks like grained ivoroid to me, nothing to worry about at all.
    If the grey blob is bothersome, the fake linear graining pattern along the entire neck should be too.

Simulate dingy stage conditions by practicing in a semi-darkened room. You won’t even see the blob.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2175
    Think of it like this. If that guitar was ever stolen, it would have a very easily identifiable unique marking on it. 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    If you can't feel it, that's very mild. It'd be one of many issues on a Gibson...
  • If you can't feel it, that's very mild. It'd be one of many issues on a Gibson...
    See, I'm gonna call bullshit on that statement. Yes its funny to ridicule and make fun of gibson, its a forum past time.
    However, I currently own one and have owned and played many that are fine and without fault. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    If you can't feel it, that's very mild. It'd be one of many issues on a Gibson...
    See, I'm gonna call bullshit on that statement. Yes its funny to ridicule and make fun of gibson, its a forum past time.
    However, I currently own one and have owned and played many that are fine and without fault. 
    I don't think anyone is saying that every single Gibson guitar produced has faults. Some of the guitars they make won't have any issues - the trouble is with their quality control; i.e. they let ones go out even when they do have problems.

This would possibly be expected if they were a budget brand but they're not even a normal priced brand, they are a very expensive brand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited October 2020
    thegummy said:
    I don't think anyone is saying that every single Gibson guitar produced has faults. Some of the guitars they make won't have any issues - the trouble is with their quality control; i.e. they let ones go out even when they do have problems.

This would possibly be expected if they were a budget brand but they're not even a normal priced brand, they are a very expensive brand.
    I’ve played at least one hundred Gibsons. the level of crap they get online is astonishing. 

In a thread where an Eastman guitar has an issue. It is again Gibson that starts to pull focus. 

And just to be fair. Eastman guitars are flippin expensive 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    terada said:

I’ve played at least one hundred Gibsons. the level of crap they get online is astonishing. 
    To be honest I think it would probably be at least halved if there weren't also a lot of people unjustifiably defending Gibson in a way that another company that doesn't have the historic brand power wouldn't get for having the same problems.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    @Coldfingers did it go back?
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    thegummy said:
    terada said:

To be honest I think it would probably be at least halved if there weren't also a lot of people unjustifiably defending Gibson in a way that another company that doesn't have the historic brand power wouldn't get for having the same problems.
    I have a custom shop 57 black beauty reissue, you can see plek marks on the fingerboard when the light hits it

I have a Memphis VOS 335, the bone nut was so soft the string windings were leaving indentations in the grooves and binding. It crumbled when removed. Also came from the factory with a deep dink in the finish by one of the F holes

I had an R8 that needed a finish repair by the nut, it had been chipped off in the factory

All of these guitars have razor marks on the binding.  All retailed for over 3 grand.  It doesn't change the way they sound or play, but it is a bit insulting to the consumer

On a scale of 1 to Gibson I would put the Eastman flaw quite near the bottom
  • ColdfingersColdfingers Frets: 34
    edited October 2020
    TINMAN82 said:
    @Coldfingers did it go back?
    No it's staying :-)

After my drama queen style over reaction, I played it, and the more I played it, the more I liked it - thought to myself in the grand scheme of things it really was irrelevant.

I did let the shop know, they couldn't have been more helpful - wouldn't hesitate to use them again :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom