Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

GigRig G3!

What's Hot

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited October 2020
    shaunm said:
    shaunm said:
    Honest question. If you use mainly single pedals such as drives, fuzz and single pedal modulations like a phase 90 plus one timeline and a flint is there any benefit of an Atom over a quartermaster? 
    You could be better off with a Boss ES5 or 8.
    Totally this. Half the price and basically same functions. It might be mine up for sale soon at this rate Lol 
    I have a QMX6 at the moment. I was thinking is there 799 reasons for me to spend that money? That’s not sarcasm but more wondering what benefits I would get from the atom. 

All my amps are single channel amps, I only have one midi pedal (Timeline). No amps have FX loops so all pedals go into the front of the amp. 

I appreciate I can turn several pedals on at a single press. Past that I can’t see how I’d use it? I think I may be missing something as they are hugely popular 
    Definitely overkill for you I feel the. Boss switcher or similar would be plenty enough for your needs. It’ll go back to my earlier statement of if you’ve got the wonga then why not  I do like the menu design though in terms of programming presets. It’s one of the things you’ll be paying for  :) 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1612
    @hotpickups absolutely, if money is no object then certainly. I’d have one just to have one. 

What I guess my confusion is based on is that I see Mick (TPS) use one (obviously we know how come), Joey L, Josh Smith, Ariel etc etc and I don’t see how any of their boards benefit from a G2/G3 over a QMX set up as they don’t really use midi or multi effects units. It looks like they are using each switch to turn on a drive pedal for example. Something the QMX does just as well.

When it comes to Bea or the Radiohead Ed board I totally get it as it’s a bunch of presets. 
    edited October 2020
    shaunm said:
    @hotpickups absolutely, if money is no object then certainly. I’d have one just to have one. 

What I guess my confusion is based on is that I see Mick (TPS) use one (obviously we know how come), Joey L, Josh Smith, Ariel etc etc and I don’t see how any of their boards benefit from a G2/G3 over a QMX set up as they don’t really use midi or multi effects units. It looks like they are using each switch to turn on a drive pedal for example. Something the QMX does just as well.

When it comes to Bea or the Radiohead Ed board I totally get it as it’s a bunch of presets. 
    Well it’s the mentioned and praised ‘no tone suck’ and low noise with the gigrig stuff. Some swear by it but I have to say I don’t think I’d notice it tbh nor will I pay that much for it etc. That’s why I’m happy with my ES 5 (for now). I’d have to have a real use for it before I’d ever buy one. However, I’m more interested in the ease of programming and the footprint of the atom. Which does appear very good and an improvement. 

There was a time that all the great guitarists we idolise over never had this kit we are sold nowadays and they sounded great lol. We don’t really need it but it’s nice that the choice is there I guess I’m not the target audience again am I lol ...... or am I ;) 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3880
    shaunm said:

It's the ability to put the loops in any order you want and also to program 'patches' so you can switch two pedals on at once etc. You can't do either of those with a QMX.
    Lebarque said:
    shaunm said:

It's the ability to put the loops in any order you want and also to program 'patches' so you can switch two pedals on at once etc. You can't do either of those with a QMX.
    @Lebarque those two things do sound good. I wonder how often they are used? I’ve never needed to change pedal order mid gig. Yes, in the studio I have but never at a gig. 
    The two pedals on at once could be useful as I rarely use a fuzzface without turning on a mid humped low gain pedal at the same time.
    @shaunm me too really but it’s makes experimentation much simpler rather than plugging in and out again to try different sounds. It really does matter the order which some pedals go into the chain. Some will work and some definitely don’t I’ve found :) 
  • Mr_HMr_H Frets: 6
    shaunm said:

Joey doesn't use the G2 to tour with any more.  He swapped for a MC6 and ML5 as it's more compact for his needs
    @shaunm me too really but it’s makes experimentation much simpler rather than plugging in and out again to try different sounds. It really does matter the order which some pedals go into the chain. Some will work and some definitely don’t I’ve found :) 
    @hotpickups 100% yes I agree. I’ve just never needed to change the order in a situation where it’s been enormously time critical. 

I’m sure that couple these features along with the loops, amp switching and midi capabilities it’s a wonderful product. Especially with more of those big midi pedals looming. 
    Mr_H said:
    shaunm said:

Joey doesn't use the G2 to tour with any more.  He swapped for a MC6 and ML5 as it's more compact for his needs
    Clever marketing on the gigrig then. We all thought and talked about these great players using one but in reality and on tour it’s not always the case. I work in advertising and I’m always intrigued how this stuff works and gets circulated as the thing/s to have. Very fascinating. But I’m only human and will fall foul of the gas again even when knowing this lol 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6720
    On that note it's interesting how many celebs that have had boards made for them on TPS are no longer using them. Matt Schofield, Kirk Fletcher, EOB etc.. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    soma1975 said:
    On that note it's interesting how many celebs that have had boards made for them on TPS are no longer using them. Matt Schofield, Kirk Fletcher, EOB etc.. 
    Yep. We just have to be aware of it and not be their marketing fodder. Once we are aware of this we won’t be let down when one realises the truth and we have bought their expensive product that we really do want and will use  :). Interesting thread this turned out to be :) 
    Mahotpickups said:
    soma1975 said:
    Yep. We just have to be aware of it and not be their marketing fodder. Once we are aware of this we won’t be let down when one realises the truth and we have bought their expensive product that we really do want and will use  :). Interesting thread this turned out to be :) 
    Matt  does use the G2 for recording.  He told me it's just not practical for him to use a big board when he goes out.  He now only uses about 3 pedals live.  I think it's more a case of practicality rather than the G2 not delivering.  And as the owner of a G2 the only way you'd wrestle it off me would be if it was being exchanged for a G3.  I wonder if the G3 atom is to provide something more practical for fly gigs.  Not heard that EOB was no longer using the G2, where did you hear that?

• It's not really surprising tbh. There is this myth of the professional warrior who only uses a TU-2 and a RV3 made in 800bc.

It's bullshit.

All musicians are gearslutz to some degree, even the pros. They just pick and choose what they're comfortable taking out on the road. But they've all got Helixes and Axe FX's and Strymon praise-and-worship pedalboards sat at home for late night weed jams.

At home is where they experiment. The stage is where they deploy their craft.

Zero point in limiting yourself to one bit of kit. Just use it all!

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    soma1975 said:
    I don’t know about EOB (I thought he still was) but I know Kirk and MS have stopped using them due to downsizing what they are using to a couple of pedals. 

That’s kind of my point above. It’s nothing to do with questioning the quality of product as I am positive it brilliant. What I do wonder about is that switching gear is it needed for “blues” type of players that have a few simple pedals. Is there any benefit to them? I know Mat said their was a huge difference from his old board and then moving to a QMX board. I’m sure this is correct, the episode when MS visited TPS with his old board the hum was terrible. Now he’s down to two pedals does he need a switcher? Not one bit. 
    There is no question of the quality of gigrig stuff it’s top notch 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6720
    Mr_H said:
    Mahotpickups said:
    soma1975 said:
    Matt  does use the G2 for recording.  He told me it's just not practical for him to use a big board when he goes out.  He now only uses about 3 pedals live.  I think it's more a case of practicality rather than the G2 not delivering.  And as the owner of a G2 the only way you'd wrestle it off me would be if it was being exchanged for a G3.  I wonder if the G3 atom is to provide something more practical for fly gigs.  Not heard that EOB was no longer using the G2, where did you hear that?

Oh yeah it wasn't a criticism of the kit but rather noting that it was overkill for even a bunch of touring musos.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Mr_H said:
    Mahotpickups said:
    soma1975 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.musicradar.com/amp/news/when-you-get-pedals-you-have-to-invest-time-into-those-sounds-radioheads-ed-obrien-talks-through-his-pedalboard
    Mr_H said:
    Mahotpickups said:
    soma1975 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.musicradar.com/amp/news/when-you-get-pedals-you-have-to-invest-time-into-those-sounds-radioheads-ed-obrien-talks-through-his-pedalboard
    Thanks for the link.  I wasn't aware of that.  Well looking at that board there are two major issues.  The Memory Man is not on it and the Cali76 is oriented incorrectly.  It's over Ed, you're dead to me....but I won't be selling my sustainer strat as you took the wise decision not to put your signature on it ;-)
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    Some other benefits to the g2/g3 or atom over the quartermaster line is the pre and post gain. Which I’ve found really useful live. Especially for solo boosts, both a bit extra gain and volume. 
    If you’ve a two amp rig you can get the phase right. There’s a switchable buffer. Which is excellent. You can have spillover on effects between patches from loops 9 and 10. There’s stomp box mode that can be set up how you like. I use this to switch different delay modes on from my dd200. 
    I’m not sure I’d the boss stuff does all the same things as I’ve never had one. But I’m sure I’d be happy with either make.
    like everyone says it depends on how much spare cash you have or are willing to spend on items.
    My custom shop Fenders don’t make me play any better than my old Mexican ones do. But I sure like owning them!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3880
    edited October 2020
    soma1975 said:
    G2 etc. is superb if you've a complicated rig and demanding needs. For most of us, as our brain power decreases/we want to focus on playing rather than switching, we crave simplification and don't need/want complicated switchers.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom