Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson SG - I forgot how much fun they are . .

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I always liked Robby Krieger's style so I was curious about SGs but I didn't get one till about 20 years ago.
    Realised what I'd been missing for all those years.
    And this from a committed Fender man.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 558
    I cant make up my mind about the neck on mine ???  . . . It definitely feels fuller than my previous SG Special but its an absolute joy to play, a decent handful but I'm not sure what the profile it is . . . perhaps @Iamnobody might be able to shed a little light on the subject ?? Cheers Steve :-)
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    This is a bad thread for me atm. I'm currently in heavy research mode around an alternative to my current squeezes. I have a strat, tele and epi Les Paul. The Les Paul was my first guitar and I whilst I go through phases of playing them all  it probably my favourite sound with a seymour duncan neck pick up. However it weighs a ton. I love the 12" radius fretboard and bound neck and I've been eyeing up a SG Special with p90s. Then you have the badge dilemma. Like most of us I've always wanted a Gibson but never been able to justifiy it. I always compromise and buy mid range things. However that itch is still there. 
    Love the look of the Special P90 in Pelham Blue but the Epiphone version is almost £900 less!!!
    (I may be repeating myself here from another thread )

I really wanted to try P90s and an SG ,but didn’t want to blow £1200 or so on a punt. Then I saw the Epiphone version for £329 in GuitarGuitar and thought why not.
     I absolutely love it, the finish is great- far better than my Tele player that was almost double the price and it’s cheap enough for me to try modding without worrying too much about wrecking it.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    @maw4neu it might be the Rounded profile which is one of my favourites and is what my 2008 SG Standard has. Nice and rounded without being too baseball bat like a 50s LP, it fits my hand really nicely and is the main reason I have kept the guitar for so long despite never being 100% happy with a lot of the other aspects of it.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I've had mine twenty years and have never snapped the neck once.  =)
    As with anything else you just have to be careful, put it on a stand or in a case. 

I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    TTBZ said:
    @maw4neu it might be the Rounded profile which is one of my favourites and is what my 2008 SG Standard has. Nice and rounded without being too baseball bat like a 50s LP, it fits my hand really nicely and is the main reason I have kept the guitar for so long despite never being 100% happy with a lot of the other aspects of it.
    That’s a fair assessment. Noticeably more chunky than the typical SG slim taper but not quite a 50s. Lovely and comfortable for me.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    Do Epiphone SGs have the same neck dive issues as Gibson?  Or is there any model year for Gibson that is better than others bon this issue?
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4095
    @cranky my 2018 standard has no neck dive 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited October 2020
    @cranky my 2018 standard has no neck dive 
    Ditto my 2006 Standard, not even after replacing the tuners. If anything, it now seems more balanced.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Having one of each I wouldn't say either has a problem with neck dive,
     but I do play them slung a little to the right.
      The Epi is heavier,but still a very light guitar, the Gibbo is feather light,being a 71,but still has great sustain and a superb growl available from the neck pickup.
    The Epi's very well built - circa 2000 but would benefit from a full electrics upgade at some point to realise its full potential.
    When logic and proportion
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    If the neck is diving move the strap button to the back of the higher horn.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    My Faded doesn’t dive either and I love it’s Rounded neck profile. 

I really like the satin finish to play too.
  • My SG is a 74 Special and I always thought it lacked sustain, until I got back into recording and double-tracked it with my Gordon Smith Gypsy. It actually sustains longer so I assume it lacks frequencies the other doesn't.

It came with mini-humbuckers and I never got on with it until I sold them and got a cheap P90 in the bridge. A real rock and roll guitar. I couldn't set it down while the GS was in bits while I worked out how to rewire it.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Really loving my 2017 Standard recently...tuning has become much more stable after being played more.

Strangely good QC!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1085
    edited October 2020
    Any thoughts on the different SG models? I'm thinking of getting a second guitar this Christmas for alternative tuning. Not sure to get the SG Junior or the Vibrola. I play LPs so thinking another double humbucker guitar might be overkill. 
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    LPManic said:
    Any thoughts on the different SG models? I'm thinking of getting a second guitar this Christmas for alternative tuning. Not sure to get the SG Junior or the Vibrola. I play LPs so thinking another double humbucker guitar might be overkill. 

If you don't need a neck pickup, the Jr is killer. If you need it, those P-90 Specials are great.
    I love my red one.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited October 2020
    I like the Jr varieties of SG, I don't normally have any GAS for normal SGs but a vintage white Jr with black pickguard is one of the coolest looking guitars or an SG-X as the humbucker route would allow for the best of both worlds if you get bored of P90s, and they came in some cool colours.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Currently deliberating whether or not to pre-order one of Andertons upcoming limited edition SG standards. Looks tasty in olive drab.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/alternative-body-guitars-old/gibson-sg-standard-limited-edition-olive-drab-green-t-type-pickups
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    TINMAN82 said:
    Currently deliberating whether or not to pre-order one of Andertons upcoming limited edition SG standards. Looks tasty in olive drab.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/alternative-body-guitars-old/gibson-sg-standard-limited-edition-olive-drab-green-t-type-pickups
    Warning.....contains tort guard! That’s bound to divide opinions. I really like tortoiseshell guards and have one for my black SG , I do change back to the original black frequently though....and with green? Is it cool or not?
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    edited October 2020
    TINMAN82 said:

That's lovely. I've always loved that sort of tank-green colour for guitars.