Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson SG - I forgot how much fun they are . .

What's Hot

Comments

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Tenebrous said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    Currently deliberating whether or not to pre-order one of Andertons upcoming limited edition SG standards. Looks tasty in olive drab.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/alternative-body-guitars-old/gibson-sg-standard-limited-edition-olive-drab-green-t-type-pickups

That's lovely. I've always loved that sort of tank-green colour for guitars.
    I still regret not going for an olive drab vos 330 last year (around the time of the R8 blowout).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Koa said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    Currently deliberating whether or not to pre-order one of Andertons upcoming limited edition SG standards. Looks tasty in olive drab.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/alternative-body-guitars-old/gibson-sg-standard-limited-edition-olive-drab-green-t-type-pickups
    Warning.....contains tort guard! That’s bound to divide opinions. I really like tortoiseshell guards and have one for my black SG , I do change back to the original black frequently though....and with green? Is it cool or not?
    Thanks for the warning! Tort guard and drab green would give me nightmares!

It’d have to be black for me.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    Iamnobody said:
    Koa said:
    TINMAN82 said:

Warning.....contains tort guard! That’s bound to divide opinions. I really like tortoiseshell guards and have one for my black SG , I do change back to the original black frequently though....and with green? Is it cool or not?

There’s a custard yellow too... I thought I’d like it until I saw the pic
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    TINMAN82 said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Koa said:
    TINMAN82 said:

There’s a custard yellow too... I thought I’d like it until I saw the pic
    It doesn’t look great in the photos does it. I  had ideas of getting the one I sold refinished in TV yellow. With a black guard of course.  =)
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Love that. Think I probably do prefer the black pick guard too.
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 559
    TINMAN82 said:
    Love that. Think I probably do prefer the black pick guard too.
    Awesome . . . I do like the colour combination . . . I'm with the masses here, not sure about a tort guard ! ! ??
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18824
    Voxman said:
    @cranky my 2018 standard has no neck dive 
    Ditto my 2006 Standard, not even after replacing the tuners. If anything, it now seems more balanced.
    @Voxman ;  Unrelated question, how is the finish on your 2006 SG Standard Heritage Cherry?
    Mine has 
    developed very some cool looking lacquer checking, despite being unmolested & a bit of a case queen (too many guitars).
    No neck dive either & it still sounds bloody lovely, even as bog standard.
  • Oh dear  - just spotted a 2019 Gibson SG Special in Pelham Blue for £900. It's close to me and I'm tempted to offer £800 and see where it takes me. Decisions! I could sell my tele to help fund!
  • Love my 64RI. It doesn't neck dive but suspect no small part because it's got a decent amount of weight to it by SG standards, no small part due to maestro being a chunk of metal.

I actually quite like the look of the Epiphone classics whilst talking P90 SGs...on the list if gigs happens again for a sensible honest gigging guitar.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
    edited October 2020
    Voxman said:
    Ditto my 2006 Standard, not even after replacing the tuners. If anything, it now seems more balanced.
    @Voxman ;;  Unrelated question, how is the finish on your 2006 SG Standard Heritage Cherry?
    Mine has developed very some cool looking lacquer checking, despite being unmolested & a bit of a case queen (too many guitars).
    It's in very good condition with no checking that I can immediately see - odd that your case queen 2018 has developed checking in such a short period of time whereas mine hasn't, even though it's a real gigging guitar that's 12 years older.   

I'm a little curious - do you have some pics of the checking you can share, & is this all over or just in specific places?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Voxman said:
    Voxman said:
    @Voxman ;;  Unrelated question, how is the finish on your 2006 SG Standard Heritage Cherry?
    Mine has developed very some cool looking lacquer checking, despite being unmolested & a bit of a case queen (too many guitars).
    It's in very good condition with no checking that I can immediately see - odd that your case queen 2018 has developed checking in such a short period of time whereas mine hasn't, even though it's a real gigging guitar that's 12 years older.   

I'm a little curious - do you have some pics of the checking you can share, & is this all over or just in specific places?
    Mine is a 2006 too, the 2018 comment came from fastonebaz  :3
    I'll try to get some photo's to show the finish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27108
    There's some pretty hefty checking on the neck of my 2002 (iirc) model. Same spec as the 2006 would be, though mine has has a neck break and some refinishing, so I can't be sure how much of that finish is original. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    OK, I bloody give up. I have tried but I cannot get a picture of the lacquer checking.
    You can only see the fine longitudinal line checks which are on the top of the body, on the back and a little on the back of the headstock, when holding the guitar while moving it around it's axis.
    Try doing that & taking a photo at the same time unless you have additional hands  :s
     With low lighting you can't see the marks, but too bright & it's all surface reflections. The natural grain of the wood disguises them too... grrrr.

If you have a look at the photo's on this site  http://www.guitarfact.com/finish-checking-guitar    you can see the kind of longitudinal lines that I am seeing, but mine are fewer in number & less pronounced.
    Update, finally managed to get a pic  :)
    Turns out flash is your friend when it comes to such matters, but colour rendering is not great.
    Back, upper bout.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited October 2020
    Here's the checking on mine, totally authentic of course  ;) :

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That is one lovely guitar.  *Jealous*  B)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
    @Kittyfrisk sorry I got confused 're years. Yeah, interesting 're the checking on your 2006. Had a good look over mine and I have the normal polish whirls when you hold it up to the light, but no checking. Odd why some guitars do and some don't. Perhaps different humidity and climates? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Voxman said:
    @Kittyfrisk sorry I got confused 're years. Yeah, interesting 're the checking on your 2006. Had a good look over mine and I have the normal polish whirls when you hold it up to the light, but no checking. Odd why some guitars do and some don't. Perhaps different humidity and climates? 
    No worries, I haven't a clue (story of my life) as to why the checking occurred, as it's in the TKL/Gibson case & not subjected to large temperature or humidity variations (old stonebuilt house so stable temperature wise & dehumidifier is set to 50%).
    I have the polish swirlies too, but the checking is a new phenomenon over the last year or so.
    I quite like it  :)
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    The neck on mine started checking only a couple of months after I bought it.
    Now has a few checking marks on the body as well but all parallel to the neck.