Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson SG - I forgot how much fun they are . .

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• My SG experience reflects much of what I’ve read on here. It is a lot of fun to play, great vibe. Admittedly, mine has a totally new neck (original fingerboard), following a shocking repair job. 

But, for me, it sits behind a few others in the queue. I’ve got it setup with 11s (I usually use 10s) and tuned to Eb (seldom use anything other than E), which possibly explains why. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18824
    Jota said:
    The neck on mine started checking only a couple of months after I bought it.
    Now has a few checking marks on the body as well but all parallel to the neck.
    Yep, that's the direction of travel on mine too, had it since 2011-ish.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    My 2008 doesn't show any signs of checking! Just a shit load of light surface scratches/swirls from belt buckles etc but nothing down to the wood.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18824
    Final finish checking pic post, rear headstock

And just because I cannot say how much I detest the original cheap shit painted on authentic Gibson 'SG' TRC :p  I swapped it for a 'fake' Standard engraved one that I very much prefer  ;)

• CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2053
    1965 special in original polaris white finish arrived today, nice timing for me to contribute to this thread  :)

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CMW335 said:
    1965 special in original polaris white finish arrived today, nice timing for me to contribute to this thread 

Thats lovely. I think I am going to be sensible. I've found a Vintage VS6 on Ebay for sale. It's a local charity that is selling it and I figure if i can get in to the SG camp for £130 or so then worst case I gave some money to a local charity and more likely I get to see if I like an SG and then potentially mod it. The Vintage stuff gets ok reviews and at that investment level its more of a match to my current musical competence.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1586
    Wait..you mean we have to match spend on guitars in accordance with our musical competence ..  ??
    Jz...:# :#
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2053
    CMW335 said:
    1965 special in original polaris white finish arrived today, nice timing for me to contribute to this thread 

Thats lovely. I think I am going to be sensible. I've found a Vintage VS6 on Ebay for sale. It's a local charity that is selling it and I figure if i can get in to the SG camp for £130 or so then worst case I gave some money to a local charity and more likely I get to see if I like an SG and then potentially mod it. The Vintage stuff gets ok reviews and at that investment level its more of a match to my current musical competence.
    Thanks @Eviltwin14 but yep I need to downgrade significantly if I need my guitars to match my musical ability... in fact I probably shouldn't own a guitar!!!  :s
  • Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 329
    I also have a very fun SG! I bought it from this forum, purely because it was an ESP Navigator for £1000 and I had just sold my Vibroverb. But after putting a Riff Raff humbucker in it, it's too good to let go. Can sound very similar to a Les Paul but more bite and much lighter. Mine has no neck dive, put it on a strap and forget it's there, it's really light. One piece Honduras mahogany neck and body. I really like them for playing along with certain stuff.  
  • Eviltwin14Eviltwin14 Frets: 98
    edited November 2020
    Itch scratched.
    Vintage V6S - £140. Very good condition. The G tuner peg has chipped but I have to say the tuners are good. Better than on my tele and epi LP. 
    Restrung and E and A a bit buzzy but the tuneomatic bridge was screwed right down  so I've lifted it a bit. Pretty low action possible and the thing sounds quite growly. To be fair I haven't had time to play it much but for the money I'm pretty impressed. The first fret does however seem a lot further away than my other guitars!

• Hmm always fancied an SG.. What's the going rate for a players grade 90's SG Standard?
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 559
    edited October 2020
    Hmm always fancied an SG.. What's the going rate for a players grade 90's SG Standard?
    Hmmm . . .  I’m actually not that sure . . I didn’t buy mine complete as it needed pickups and a little TLC so I’m sure one of the other Forum Members would have a better idea . . . Besides whenever I want a particular guitar they cost a fortune and then when I want to sell a guitar, regardless of what it is, they are generally worthless . . . 

Update :

Just checked on eBay and the SG Specials seem to start around 450 - 500 UK Pounds . . . 
    SG Standards start around 550 - 600 ish . . .  
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    I've seen them go anywhere between £500-800 depending on condition. Mine was a grand new in 2008 so 800 does seem a bit optimistic!
  • Cheers guys. Reason for the 90s specific is because I tried on once and the neck profile was perfect for me. Nice and rounded but not too wide :+1: 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27105
    I paid 380 for my Standard with a neck repair. That’s pretty much rock bottom. 

You should be able to go through to about 2007 with SG Standards and get the same neck profile. I agree it’s one of the best profiles out there. Nicely rounded and middle-sized.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I paid 380 for my Standard with a neck repair. That’s pretty much rock bottom. 

You should be able to go through to about 2007 with SG Standards and get the same neck profile. I agree it’s one of the best profiles out there. Nicely rounded and middle-sized.
    that's the one :+1: 
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 559
    I paid 380 for my Standard with a neck repair. That’s pretty much rock bottom. 

that's the one :+1: 

I saw this too . . .  bargain ! ! ! . . 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    edited October 2020
    I currently have one up in the classifieds, I have been playing it daily for a week and evey time it starts to click more than the last, I have decided if I pick it up again tomorrow and I still have a smile in my face then the  ad is 100 percent being taken down, 
  • VintageVintage Frets: 97
    Sg it's like a sword.
    It have more presence in the mix, and it's more comfortable to play.

Les Paul and Sg, are two different best.