Nickel and cancer?

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663

This is the first time I heard of this warning on products. Anyone know about this too:-

Or is this the usual USA paranoia ?
    I like the ‘tone’ bit at the bottom.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    HAL9000 said:

This is the first time I heard of this warning on products. Anyone know about this too:-

Or is this the usual USA paranoia ?
    I like the ‘tone’ bit at the bottom.
    Ha ha me too. I wondered when someone was gonna spot that lol 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    Many UK coins and some Euros also contain nickel, and many types of stainless steel also contain it.

As far as I understand it, the main carcinogenic risk from nickel is from inhalation of nickel-containing dust or fumes, which is a significant risk for workers in the mining or processing industries but unlikely to be significant for people touching their pickups, strings or frets etc.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7002
    California loves to label anything that moves as being carcinogenic.

Inhalation of high concentrations of dust containing nickel compounds can cause lung and nasal cancer.  Good luck inhaling a pickup or a set of strings though.

It is a known contact allergen, so its use in the EU is prohibited in any product intended for direct and prolonged skin contact such as watch straps/cases, jewellery and clothes fastenings.  So far strings and bridges seem to have slipped under the radar.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Right, no more listening to Nickelback albums then (- as if I needed an excuse! =) )
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7002
    Voxman said:
    Right, no more listening to Nickelback albums then (- as if I needed an excuse! =) )
    That causes a loss of taste.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 719
    Cols said:
    Voxman said:
    That causes a loss of taste.
    Wis or lol. I just cant decide. 
  • Ca are pretty overcautious with their carcinogen warnings. They also label coffee as a possible carcinogen. Are you going to give up your morning pick me up? Didn’t think so. 

I understand (with the coffee thing anyway) that they basically injected massive amounts of coffee into mice and they got cancer. So somewhere between the scientists and the lawmakers ‘contains something which in ridiculous doses gives mice cancer’ becomes ‘may cause cancer’ despite there being zero evidence of an effect in humans at normal doses (afaik). 

It’s probably the same with the nickel. Or at least I know to take it with a pinch of salt. 
    Unfortunately we now live in a litigation terrified and babying world where anything and everything can cause cancer, and everything might contain nuts. Guitars certainly do!  =) :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    ...at least I know to take it with a pinch of salt. 
    ...recognised by the state of California as a potentially carcinogenic
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Without disagreeing that California's cancer risk labelling laws might be a touch OTT, there is known to be a link between nickel and some forms of cancer.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/substances/nickel

https://oem.bmj.com/content/73/Suppl_1/A42.2

Although it seems it's far riskier to inhale particles of nickel in enviroments where metal is being cut, ground etc than it is to play guitars with AlNiCo pickups.

Fun fact: Eddie Van Halen reckoned his throat cancer was caused by putting metal picks in his mouth. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

edited October 2020
    HAL9000 said:
    And let's not forget, bad for heart and arteries.

Health warning...being a member of the fretboard can cause repetitive strain injury, eye strain, and headaches, and mobile phones can give you cancer.

And in these difficult Covid times, please be sure to keep social distancing and keep your screen at least 2m away from you at all times! 
    Voxman said:
    HAL9000 said:
    And let's not forget, bad for heart and arteries. And being a member of the fretboard can cause repetitive strain injury, eye strain, and headaches, and mobile phones can give you cancer.

And in these difficult Covid times, please be sure to keep social distancing and keep your screen at least 2m away from you at all times! 
    We’re so doomed aren’t we lol 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18756
    Fun fact: Eddie Van Halen reckoned his throat cancer was caused by putting metal picks in his mouth. 
    Not verifiable at all, but... 'shrug'.

From Wikipedia
    Van Halen struggled with alcoholism and drug abuse. He began smoking and drinking at the age of 12, and he stated that he eventually needed alcohol to function.[79] He entered rehabilitation in 2007,[80] and later shared in an interview that he had been sober since 2008.[79]

Suffering from lingering injuries from past, high-risk, acrobatic stage performances and crashes, Van Halen underwent hip replacement surgery in 1999, after his chronic avascular necrosis, with which he was diagnosed in 1995, became unbearable.[81] He began receiving treatment for tongue cancer in 2000. The subsequent surgery removed roughly a third of his tongue. He was declared cancer-free in 2002.[82] He blamed the tongue cancer on his habit of holding guitar picks in his mouth, stating in 2015: "I used metal picks – they're brass and copper – which I always held in my mouth, in the exact place where I got the tongue cancer. ... I mean, I was smoking and doing a lot of drugs and a lot of everything. But at the same time, my lungs are totally clear. This is just my own theory, but the doctors say it's possible."[82]

Not verifiable at all, but... 'shrug'.

From Wikipedia
    ' Van Halen struggled with alcoholism and drug abuse. He began smoking and drinking at the age of 12, and he stated that he eventually needed alcohol to function.[79] He entered rehabilitation in 2007,[80] and later shared in an interview that he had been sober since 2008.[79]

Suffering from lingering injuries from past, high-risk, acrobatic stage performances and crashes, Van Halen underwent hip replacement surgery in 1999, after his chronic avascular necrosis, with which he was diagnosed in 1995, became unbearable.[81] He began receiving treatment for tongue cancer in 2000. The subsequent surgery removed roughly a third of his tongue. He was declared cancer-free in 2002.[82] He blamed the tongue cancer on his habit of holding guitar picks in his mouth, stating in 2015: "I used metal picks – they're brass and copper – which I always held in my mouth, in the exact place where I got the tongue cancer. ... I mean, I was smoking and doing a lot of drugs and a lot of everything. But at the same time, my lungs are totally clear. This is just my own theory, but the doctors say it's possible."[82]

Having had loads of cancer related deaths in my family the route cause to throat, tongue cancer imo is smoking. Just don’t do it. Although it’s a good rock idol story about dying for having guitar picks in ones mouth 
  • Fun fact: Eddie Van Halen reckoned his throat cancer was caused by putting metal picks in his mouth. 
    Not verifiable at all, but... 'shrug'
    I'm not saying I find it remotely plausible, particularly for a guy who chain smoked for decades and put away as much booze as he did. Just from glancing at the studies it looks like it's people who spent lifetimes in metalworking who need to worry about nickel related cancers, not people who put guitar picks in their mouths.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• AdeyAdey Frets: 2265
    Apparently life also causes death in the end....
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18756
    Adey said:
    Apparently life also causes death in the end....
    Gosh...!!  De Profundis   :#
    I've come to the conclusion that there are only 2 certainties in life....death, and taxes.  

And I'm not even 100% sure about the first one!!   ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Ca are pretty overcautious with their carcinogen warnings. They also label coffee as a possible carcinogen. Are you going to give up your morning pick me up? Didn’t think so. 

I understand (with the coffee thing anyway) that they basically injected massive amounts of coffee into mice and they got cancer. So somewhere between the scientists and the lawmakers ‘contains something which in ridiculous doses gives mice cancer’ becomes ‘may cause cancer’ despite there being zero evidence of an effect in humans at normal doses (afaik). 

It’s probably the same with the nickel. Or at least I know to take it with a pinch of salt. 

How do they know it was the coffee that caused the cancer?
    It could've been the nickel in the hypodermic needles used to inject the mice.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom