Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

For those who remember Musical Exchanges Birmingham in the ‘80’s.

What's Hot

Comments

• StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    edited December 2020
    I hope his first job is to sort their website out, it isn't even working properly today.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As I've mentioned previously, Exchanges was my favourite guitar shop in the world ever. I too had problems with getting served on Saturdays so I used to go in during the week in the end. I liked that some of the staff were kids too and you could pick something up cheap then trade it in 3 months later - it was an Aladin's cave of cheap S/H pointys and LP copies when I first went there. 

I haven't been into Fairdeal for about 18 months and they'd only just moved in. I quite like the Holloway Head location though.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    I remember Musical Exchanges when it was originally on Broad St before burning down in the fire that started in Bingley Hall. They had some fantastic vintage guitars in those days but they weren't really considered vintage at that time just used.

I must have done hundreds of deals with both Gary,s over the years. Will be interesting to see what he does at Fair Deal
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    I bought a Gibson Grabber from there in about 1984/85 - a great bass, that was. Happy days - trying to park on the old (bomb site?) car park next to it in Livery Street, then off up to Broad Street (George Clay Music?) then Smallbrook Queensway, calling in at the Bass Place near the Alex Theatre. Finally off to the Wimpy Bar at the end of the road near the Bullring.

Well, I say finally - the lads used to head off back to Stafford and I used to head off to St Andrews to watch the fighting football when Blues were at home, and I used to catch the lads up for a gig in Stoke later. Apart from getting caught up in a bit of a traffic jam due to an over-exuberant riot in about 1997, it worked well.
    Call me Dave.
    Here is little article written by Ian Danter who worked at MX in the Snowhill period:

http://www.iandanter.co.uk/blogs/rock-and-roll-stories-part-10-musical-exchanges-men-myths-marshalls
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667

With Gaz moving from PMT, I wonder if he knows something about the viability of the company that we don't? 

I think it *may* have something to do with the new ownership/management team at PMT... but hey, go ask him!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Collings said:
    Here is little article written by Ian Danter who worked at MX in the Snowhill period:

http://www.iandanter.co.uk/blogs/rock-and-roll-stories-part-10-musical-exchanges-men-myths-marshalls

Cheers for that - I like Ian Danter.
    Call me Dave.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878
    I tried to buy a used Gretsch from PMT.  They wanted a ridiculous amount of money for it, and wouldn’t budge a penny, we’re a bit rude too. 

I bought the exact same guitar from Wunju in London a month later, haggled a bit, saved myself nearly £400. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14279
    tFB Trader

With Gaz moving from PMT, I wonder if he knows something about the viability of the company that we don't? 

He is around 60 now and I think the issue and hassle of running that large store was now a bind - So this is a more of a relaxed gig for him
  • DB1 said:
    Collings said:

That name rings a bell. For some reason I want to say "in the flying eye" after saying his name? Was that something off the radio?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    edited December 2020
    DB1 said:
    Collings said:

That name rings a bell. For some reason I want to say "in the flying eye" after saying his name? Was that something off the radio?
    Think he started out in radio doing the "flying eye" travel updates
  • DB1 said:
    Collings said:

Yep he's on Talk Sport and Planet Rock now but used to do the traffic on BRMB. And Barmy Brummies. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• That must be it. BRMB. Amazing what the mind stores isn't it, especially considering I often forget to remove the key from the door after unlocking it. That must have twenty something years ago? I would have been 10 ish
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    He's a big Blues fan, poor sod (I think he had a spell as stadium announcer) and I think he and Tom Ross made a version of 'Keep Right On to the End of the Road under the name 'The Bluenose Brothers'. It was diabolically bad.  :#
    Call me Dave.
  • DB1 said:
    Happy days - trying to park on the old (bomb site?) car park next to it in Livery Street, then off up to Broad Street (George Clay Music?) then Smallbrook Queensway, calling in at the Bass Place near the Alex Theatre. Finally off to the Wimpy Bar at the end of the road near the Bullring.

I too have very happy memories from back then - in my early teen years, it was a regular early Saturday morning bus ride on the 158 from the outskirts of Walsall into Birmingham, then a tour of Oasis, Virgin, Inferno, Rockers, Kahn & Bell, The Diskery, Woodroffes, Reddingtons, Jones & Crossland, Musical Exchanges (Broad Street, then Snow Hill), etc and then back on the 51 into Walsall to TR Music, Hingos, Sundown, Mothership and RGS.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

• HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2383
    I bought loads of him in the late 80's....used to drive the 100 miles down to MEx on a regular basis.Wish him all the best.
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    edited December 2020
    DB1 said:
    Happy days - trying to park on the old (bomb site?) car park next to it in Livery Street, then off up to Broad Street (George Clay Music?) then Smallbrook Queensway, calling in at the Bass Place near the Alex Theatre. Finally off to the Wimpy Bar at the end of the road near the Bullring.

I too have very happy memories from back then - in my early teen years, it was a regular early Saturday morning bus ride on the 158 from the outskirts of Walsall into Birmingham, then a tour of Oasis, Virgin, Inferno, Rockers, Kahn & Bell, The Diskery, Woodroffes, Reddingtons, Jones & Crossland, Musical Exchanges (Broad Street, then Snow Hill), etc and then back on the 51 into Walsall to TR Music, Hingos, Sundown, Mothership and RGS.

Oasis! Was that the shop over multiple floors that you never seemed to go up and down the same number of flights of stairs but still came out at the same place? Loved that shop too...bought loads of stuff in there too. 

Loved TR Music and briefly worked across the road in George’s on work experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Oasis! Was that the shop over multiple floors that you never seemed to go up and down the same number of flights of stairs but still came out at the same place? Loved that shop too...bought loads of stuff in there too. 

Loved TR Music and briefly worked across the road in George’s on work experience
    That's the one! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    fans of the oasis market might be interested in the ignite record shop that's in there at the mo, Rich always has good stuff in. 

brum has a lot of ground covered between the 3 big stores and LGS. can't say i blame anyone for giving PMT a miss at the mo, a bit out the way and often found one or two of the staff a little over eager to sell, often by trying to seem cleverer than me (they never are).