Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

For those who remember Musical Exchanges Birmingham in the ‘80’s.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2383
    edited December 2020
    Huh! Who'd want the refin 60's Strat for £1200....? Stuff that...I'll take the new Schecter Strat instead for £1300....what was I thinking!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think it’s The Oasis rather than Oasis, just to make it distinct from shops with a similar name. A place I found equal parts fascinating and terrifying. Last time I went in was a few years ago to buy something for my son and I felt less terrified but incredibly out of place. 

TR Music seems to still exist. I bought a Marshall there years ago and they had actually helpful, friendly staff as I recall. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    That 63 Strat was mine and was not all original
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think it’s The Oasis rather than Oasis, just to make it distinct from shops with a similar name. A place I found equal parts fascinating and terrifying. Last time I went in was a few years ago to buy something for my son and I felt less terrified but incredibly out of place. 

TR Music seems to still exist. I bought a Marshall there years ago and they had actually helpful, friendly staff as I recall. 
    Yep, TR is still going, found them on Facebook recently and they seem to get a fair chunk of B Stock guitars in at decent prices (I assume directly from the manufacturer?). Glad to see them still doing well
  •  
    TR Music seems to still exist.

I bought a Marshall there years ago and they had actually helpful, friendly staff as I recall. 

It does indeed and has gone from strength to strength - they've always got a great selection of used/new guitars/amps/effects in.

It's a family-run business and I've known them since the late '70's - I think one of the reasons they do so well is diversity - they've always maintained the Disco/PA/Repair side of the business alongside guitar-based stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/TRmusicwalsall/

https://www.trmusic.co.uk/

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14273
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    Huh! Who'd want the refin 60's Strat for £1200....? Stuff that...I'll take the new Schecter Strat instead for £1300....what was I thinking!
    I love looking at such olds as well and £550 for a 66 Fender 12 String 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11905
    Where was Sound Control? 
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Cool.   I used to drive down from leeds to snow hill with my mate specifically to see what they had in the second hand area.  My mate bought a limited edition Marshall 30th anniversary with the matching purple cab etc and I bought a Park 1210 rock head.   We used to love going down to see what interesting stuff they had in stock.   Think I first got interested in stuff there after reading that MX had supplied Aspen Pittman with some very rare old marshalls   

Music Ground in leeds and Doncaster and the other guitar shops in Doncaster had become. Pain in the arse to shop in so MX became our shop of choice for a while even though it a
    was a bit of a trek from leeds.   It was that and the occasional trip down to Denmark street for something special.  

Happy days - but now ebay etc has just killed all those “interesting find” music shops.  A golden era , gone.  

• PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 943
    Where was Sound Control? 
    That’s what Musical Exchange changed its name to for a while, then Reverb.
    tFB Trader
    PhilW1 said:
    Where was Sound Control? 
    I think M X became Sound Control about 20 years ago after a take over/buy out - SC went bankrupt around 2008 which is when Reverb stepped in but that did not last very long - Think Reverb had a branch in Leicester as well, at the old Academy of Sound site
  • PhilW1 said:
    Where was Sound Control? 
    I think M X became Sound Control about 20 years ago after a take over/buy out - SC went bankrupt around 2008 which is when Reverb stepped in but that did not last very long - Think Reverb had a branch in Leicester as well, at the old Academy of Sound site
    And around the same time, the online Reverb that we know today started, if I remember right. I was very confused thinking they were one and the same at the time
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    tFB Trader
    PhilW1 said:
    Where was Sound Control? 
    And around the same time, the online Reverb that we know today started, if I remember right. I was very confused thinking they were one and the same at the time
    didn't know about that timing - Wasn't the 'Reverb' selling site tied in with Chicago Music Exchange before they sold it

Reverb as in the UK music shops was tied in with the 'Arbiter' family - As in Ivor Arbiter ,who distributed Fender, amongst so many other lines, for so long - And whose son, John, ran Soho Soundhouse/Turnkey for many years
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I remember him. My mate traded in a bass and the “work experience” lad had priced up his choice, a fretless Japanese Fender Jazz wrong. To be fair, he honoured it and my mate got a killer deal. 

Weird trivia. The drummer in my current band used to work in the Drum dept. 
  • westwest Frets: 996
    jeztone2 said:
    I remember him. My mate traded in a bass and the “work experience” lad had priced up his choice, a fretless Japanese Fender Jazz wrong. To be fair, he honoured it and my mate got a killer deal. 

Andy sadowsky ?
    west said:
    jeztone2 said:

Andy sadowsky ?
    No Mat Power. Young redhead guy from Dudley. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    Ah ok ... actually that name rings a bell too lol .... i had a chap on one of the music courses i used to teach on of that name ... that was a long time ago though ...
    west said:
    Ah ok ... actually that name rings a bell too lol .... i had a chap on one of the music courses i used to teach on of that name ... that was a long time ago though ...
    He played in a band called Goldfish. They did a European support to Neds Atomic Dustbin back in the day. He’s a brilliant drummer but incredibly fucking loud.