Archtop build number 2.

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• davrosdavros Frets: 1334
    That is looking really, really stunning. The light burst on the back really helps to bring out the carve.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Lovely job.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    Really nice looking Wez.  Can't wait to see how the finished front looks too.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16694
    finished lacquering

i did 3 coats a day for 3 days then let cure for a week.  I then flatted off with 600g and have now done a final 3 coats.  It will then get another 4 weeks curing before i can buff it out.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That looks great Wez.  It looks like something that could have been played by a jazz player in the 40's.  That's a compliment btw.
    I'm happy with the way it's going, just hope it sounds alright

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That looks really impressive, you've done an incredible job on that. 
  • Would any of your resin knobs suit that? 
    I think I will be using some resin knobs.   Will either be some from the first few batches or I will try a new set
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Well that looks fantastic.
    Thanks.  There is still lots to do.

The tailpiece isn't sitting right yet thanks to the slightly offset body shape.  I need to make a wedge to sit under the bracket to sort this

Also needs the guard straightening up, a truss rod cover making, the bridge cutting down to suit the smaller body size, and it still needs to be wired up

Getting there though.
    Looks very nice Wez
    It's opening up really nicely with a good strum too.   Literally had an hours play time and it's made a massive difference.

Its still a little unbalanced, and some notes are giving a bit of  warbling. but the bridge isn't even fitted properly yet.  It might not even get this one.  Think the plate is causing some noise too
    A few musings on tone.

Acoustic Archtops were never really designed for sustain.  The aim was volume, projection and a tone that stood a chance of being heard in a big band setting.... so kinda bright worked well

This thing has bags of natural sustain already before the bridge is even shaped to match the top properly.  It's loud for its size and harmonically rich. 

The main differences between this and an acoustic archtop is size, and the neck join.   I can't help but attribute its solid body like sustain to its solid body like neck join.  Something I noticed on the last one.

One benefit of the traditional join is there is less transference between body and neck, keeping the body as the primary generator of tone.  This design does away with that altogether, the neck is very much part of the bodies vibration.  

It may all be lost once plugged in, just leaving solid body tone + uncontrollable feedback... we will see. 

I'm enjoying it a lot in its acoustic state.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom