Caution - dont buy modded guitars

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    ICBM said:
    Gagaryn said:

It was reversible - 10 minutes with a chisel and a dremel, and some off cuts of wood and the single coils can be refitted. Scratchplate back on and the repair is invisible.
    Invisible (from the outside!) and reversible aren't the same thing :).

It may well be a great guitar now, but it can never be put back to how it was originally no matter what you do and hence is not reversible.

That may not matter to some people, but it was dishonest to describe it as such.
    +1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 400
    You should bump his original 'for sale' thread with your pics, in case other people in future are tempted to buy examples of his handiwork.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72406
    Gagaryn said:

Original (on the inside!) and reversible aren't the same thing. ;-)The seller claimed it was reversible - i.e. that single coils could be refitted instead of the replacement humbuckers. And they have - so it was. :-)No claims of originality or 'mintytude' were made as far as I know. In the same way as it was obvious that the scratchplate had bigger holes in it than it used to, it was obvious that the body would be affected too. Granted, it wasn't the neatest job but it doesn't really matter as it's hidden.
    No - reversible means you can put it back the way it was. With this one - or any other mod which involves routing - you can't. It's that simple. It doesn't matter whether the damage is entirely hidden or not.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263

Blimey, looks like this was routed by Luis Suarez.

Cool looking guitar though!

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Well... I guess I'm the odd man out here. Yes it looks shit... but once the scratch plate is on... does it *really* matter? Aren't there bigger things to get pissed about?? Seems like you got a good guitar for the price!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    ICBM said:
    Gagaryn said:

Original (on the inside!) and reversible aren't the same thing. ;-)The seller claimed it was reversible - i.e. that single coils could be refitted instead of the replacement humbuckers. And they have - so it was. :-)No claims of originality or 'mintytude' were made as far as I know. In the same way as it was obvious that the scratchplate had bigger holes in it than it used to, it was obvious that the body would be affected too. Granted, it wasn't the neatest job but it doesn't really matter as it's hidden.
    No - reversible means you can put it back the way it was. With this one - or any other mod which involves routing - you can't. It's that simple. It doesn't matter whether the damage is entirely hidden or not.

It's reversible if you don't mind replacing the body :-)

Joking aside:

I guess you could make an argument that there is no modification you can make to a (non-vintage) Fender which isn't reversible as they are designed and built as an assembly of more-or-less interchangeable standard components (mostly) held together with non-permanent fixings.

In this case of this specific Jag you could replace the body with the botched routing with quite a nice aftermarket one to original specs and in the original colour and still feel you'd got a decent deal out of it, particularly as you'd be left with the original scratchplate and body which would make the start of a nice hot-rod Partsuar build...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    ICBM said:
    Gagaryn said:

In theory I agree with you - the holes can't be uncut.

But lets use logic. :-)  

The OP saw pictures of the guitar and I'm guessing he noticed it had humbuckers instead of single coils.

So he knew that 2 big holes had been cut in the scratchplate, because he could see them - and could conclude that similar sized holes existed in the body - because he could see the big massive humbuckers sticking out of it!

So it must be that when the seller said the change was reversible, he wasn't pretending that the holes in the scratchplate and body could be 'uncut' - simply that single coils could be refitted. Granted some work and replacement parts would be required but it could be reversed.

I don't think the OP was surprised that the guitar had been routed - just that a messy amateurish job had been done. :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Gagaryn said:
    ICBM said:
    Gagaryn said:

In theory I agree with you - the holes can't be uncut.

But lets use logic. :-)  

The OP saw pictures of the guitar and I'm guessing he noticed it had humbuckers instead of single coils.

So he knew that 2 big holes had been cut in the scratchplate, because he could see them - and could conclude that similar sized holes existed in the body - because he could see the big massive humbuckers sticking out of it!

So it must be that when the seller said the change was reversible, he wasn't pretending that the holes in the scratchplate and body could be 'uncut' - simply that single coils could be refitted. Granted some work and replacement parts would be required but it could be reversed.

I don't think the OP was surprised that the guitar had been routed - just that a messy amateurish job had been done. :-)

Yes sir, all of this. 

as I said in an earlier post if the routing had been tidy it could have been possible that both pickup types could have been accommodated under the guard. As the Jag pups are longer than the buckers it is possible.

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72406
    edited July 2014
    Only if the routing was done to a level of care and precision which is highly unlikely in a modded guitar, and even then I'm not certain whether it can be done - you're relying on the 'leg' holes for the humbuckers missing the screw points for the Jag pickups, and they're going to be very close no matter how tight the humbucker routs.

That's not the point - nor is whether it matters what's under the guard when it's put back together. The point is that it was dishonestly described. No routed body can ever truthfully be described as 'reversible'. I don't think replacing the body counts :).

I would actually quite like a Jag with humbuckers, so I might have been interested in it! I wouldn't have bought it with the intention of trying to put it back... but even then, I wouldn't have been too happy finding that level of hacking either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    To be fair, I sort of see what Gagaryn is saying, but I agree with ICBM. :))
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I think we should call it a draw - I see what ICBM means too - I was just bored at work! :)
    Dave_Mc said:
    To be fair, I sort of see what Gagaryn is saying, but I agree with ICBM. :))
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2014
    LOL

I don't think I was sitting on the fence- I said I agree with ICBM, so obviously I agreed with him more. Just I sort of knew what Gagaryn meant, too. As opposed to situations where you totally agree with one viewpoint and think the other person's is silly.

But yeah I generally sit on the fence if at all possible. :))

Gagaryn said:
    I think we should call it a draw - I see what ICBM means too - I was just bored at work! :)
    LOL
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    A likely story. More like this is how @meltedbuzzbox gets his coke past customs. Bet it's going back to the seller next week with a Floyd route.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    The routes were pretty big but I don't think you could get a can of cola in there...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I would have been happier if I found 2oz of Peruvian flake.