What Are You Listening To Now ?

What's Hot

Comments

• LitterickLitterick Frets: 637
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    Bought some new CDs at the weekend:

Jon Hopkins - Singularity: beautifully crafted stuff that goes bleep bloop that Mrs_bob can't stand.

GoGo Penguin- Man Made Object: Imagine 90s piano-led trance, but it's a jazz piano trio. Now imagine it's waaaay better that description makes it sound. To our mutual surprise, Mrs_bob *did* like A Humdrum Star...

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit- Reunions: Listened to this over the weekend because Mrs_bob definitely does like this sort of thing. It's a bit good, isn't it? (in other news: water is wet, the Pope is a Catholic, bears shit in the woods etc)

Also bought recently:

Everything Everything- Re-animator: I really rate these. Always something musically interesting going on, and somehow the utterly bizarre lyrics make sense and are often clearly about something.

Del Amitri- Fatal Mistakes: Not dead after all, but doing what they've always done well, well. Songs about a sad Scottish bloke drinking alone in a hotel bar, songs about ex-girlfriends with a twist at the end about who dumped who, all that good stuff.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    ‘J.T.’ by Steve Earle. All but one song penned by his son Justin Townes Earle who died last year - so good I want to follow up on JT’s own albums.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    "GoGo Penguin- Man Made Object: Imagine 90s piano-led trance, but it's a jazz piano trio. Now imagine it's waaaay better that description makes it sound. To our mutual surprise, Mrs_bob *did* like A Humdrum Star..." 

WAY better than the description sounds 

Cheers @english_bob ;

• MattharrierMattharrier Frets: 454
    Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit- Reunions: Listened to this over the weekend because Mrs_bob definitely does like this sort of thing. It's a bit good, isn't it? (in other news: water is wet, the Pope is a Catholic, bears shit in the woods etc)
    Yeah, really good - I think I read an interview with him in a magazine and checked him out on a whim.
    Yeah, really good - I think I read an interview with him in a magazine and checked him out on a whim.

I feel like I'm a long way behind the curve on actually listening to and appreciating Jason Isbell. I've known his name for ages, but never actually paid proper attention. Really good stuff, with some interesting guitar tones lurking in what sounds superficially like a very traditional country-rock album.

"GoGo Penguin- Man Made Object: Imagine 90s piano-led trance, but it's a jazz piano trio. Now imagine it's waaaay better that description makes it sound. To our mutual surprise, Mrs_bob *did* like A Humdrum Star..." 

WAY better than the description sounds 

Cheers @english_bob ;

Trance-but-it's-a-jazz-trio sounds like the worst idea ever, and if they'd actually set out to do that it would almost certainly sound fucking terrible, but somehow that's how a lot of the more uptempo tunes end up sounding to my ears.

• Bye!

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Re listening to Manson trilogy, Antichrist, Mechanical, Holywood, depressing-but so well made.
    You can hear the Loudness war in full effect, but production is excellent, and content surprisingly consistent.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3552
    This bloody thing is following me around. 

There's a rumour it's a hoax.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Ow. my ears!
  • MattharrierMattharrier Frets: 454
    ZZ Top Greatest Hits playlist on Youtube #RIPDusty
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    This is D'Angelo - Spotify playlist.  Listening back to an extensive selection from his career to date, it's a really impressive body of work.  Arguably also contains Pino Palladino's best bass playing.

Somewhat pleases me that when he took a few years off he spent a lot of learning to play guitar.  Maybe our instrument isn't totally over after all.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”

Somewhat pleases me that when he took a few years off he spent a lot of learning to play guitar.  Maybe our instrument isn't totally over after all.
    I really like Voodoo, but I wasn't very impressed with his post-learning guitar "comeback" album.

• SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited August 2021
    For the Sabbath folk - great extended jam 
  • moremore Frets: 230
    I moved house  over 4 years ago  . Just managed to unpack my  record collection. My first record to be played  was a random  choice, Beaver & Krause Gnadharva 
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 540

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Watching Summer of Love there were a few directions I could have gone off in but I seem to rediscover Sly and the Family Stone every few years ( I saw a Slyless version live a few years ago and they were absolute knock out). In case you ever wondered what the young Prince listened to... 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Rival Sons - Pressure and Time. I'm on a NWOCR binge at the moment (new wave of classic rock is a shit name; it's tautological, and completely ineffective at describing the music).
    Watching Summer of Love 

Summer of Soul, the Harlem Cultural Festival doc? I need to watch that.