Market gem

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 353
    edited February 2023
    Post Malone goes acoustic.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1200
    edited February 2023
    Jake Allen. The guy is a genius singer songwriter guitar player.  He started out as an acoustic solo virtuoso like Andy McKee, Tommy Emmanuel etc, (of which there are quite a few around now and they're starting to sound the same tbh) but now he's branched out to full band set up with him doing lead vox and guitar.  By comparison, his early solo acoustic songs pale in comparison to his newer work which focuses more on band arrangement, orchestrations and production rather than technique.    

I haven't been this moved by someone's music since I discovered Jeff Buckley and Lewis Taylor many many years ago.  Fully recommend this guy.  Listen to his album Deviant Motions to hear what I mean. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jake Allen. The guy is a genius singer songwriter guitar player.  He started out as an acoustic solo virtuoso like Andy McKee, Tommy Emmanuel etc, (of which there are quite a few around now and they're starting to sound the same tbh) but now he's branched out to full band set up with him doing lead vox and guitar.  By comparison, his early solo acoustic songs pale in comparison to his newer work which focuses more on band arrangement, orchestrations and production rather than technique.    

I haven't been this moved by someone's music since I discovered Jeff Buckley and Lewis Taylor many many years ago.  Fully recommend this guy.  Listen to his album Deviant Motions to hear what I mean. 
    I've never heard of him but I really like that, thank you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • After watching the NWOBHM episode of Metal Evolution I'm having a Maiden phase. I was a Bay Area/Diamond Head fan in the 80s, so didn't really listen to Maiden at the time despite being surrounded by mates wearing their t shirts. I remember it all without knowing the song titles.. except the obvious ones.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24784
    Phil Campbell and the Bastard Sons new live album.

It’s fun!
  • Alternating between Rush’s Moving Pictures and Iron Maiden’s Killers.  Wife isn’t happy as I’m drowning out her Lana Del Ray
  • New Withered Hand LP

https://witheredhand.bandcamp.com/album/how-to-love-album-2023 ;

If this isn't my favourite record of 2023 this will be a very good year. Its incredible. 
  • The new Paramore album is excellent. I've not listened to them in the past so don't know much about them, but I loved the 'This is Why' single last year and the album carries this style on. The guitar tones are so good, kind of a fendery post-punk/new wave clean/break up sound, with quieter lush modulated sections. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1014
    Chapter Four by Avenged Sevenfold

It's a band I've never really listened to before.  I started to listen to them this past month after watching a short YouTube documentary about their drummer The Rev (James Owen Sullivan).  I started with their 2nd album Waking The Fallen as it was one mentioned on the YouTube documentary that The Rev played & contributed to the songwriting on.

I was expecting the vocals to be quite different tbh, they are definitely more melodic than I thought.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5115
    PhilW1 said:
    Green Lung
    saw them support Clutch before Xmas  and was really impressed so having a Green Lung binge on yoootube today.
    Gotta say I’m even more impressed the more I hear, heavy ,doomy, 
    sabbathy, (even a bit Uriah Heepy to me)
    Brilliant stuff

Its Queen. Lots and lots of early Queen
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    Reverend said:
    PhilW1 said:
    Green Lung
    saw them support Clutch before Xmas  and was really impressed so having a Green Lung binge on yoootube today.
    Brilliant stuff

I love Green Lung.  Love the references to folk horror and things like Tombs of the Blind Dead.  I've got a Blu-ray edition of The Wicker Man with woodcut-style artwork by the guy who did the cover of Woodland Rites.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5115
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:
    PhilW1 said:
    Green Lung
    Brilliant stuff

I love Green Lung.  Love the references to folk horror and things like Tombs of the Blind Dead.  I've got a Blu-ray edition of The Wicker Man with woodcut-style artwork by the guy who did the cover of Woodland Rites.
    I have a print by the artist hanging in my hallway. I've not seen them live yet, but Scott has seen my band so perhaps I ought to at some point,
  • Alternating between Rush’s Moving Pictures and Iron Maiden’s Killers.  Wife isn’t happy as I’m drowning out her Lana Del Ray
    Killers is probably my fav Maiden album 

Currently i am mostly been listening to Anemone - The Brian Jonestown Massacre
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 353
    edited February 2023
    I don't know what they are singing about but the music sounds interesting.

파란노을 (Parannoul)

I'm listening to the early Dio albums.  On original release in the 1980s, I bought the first four studio albums as they came out, but increasingly lost interest and I don't think I have any of the later ones.

I absolutely loved - and still love - Holy Diver and I've listened to it hundreds of times over the years.  Somehow the subsequent albums never had anywhere near the same impact on me... and listening to them now I can see why.  There is some great stuff on The Last in Line and Sacred Heart, but some of the songs are really weak.

Right now I'm listening to the fifth album, Lock Up the Wolves, for the first time ever!  There are still lots of "oh, that sounds like..." moments, but young guitarist Rowan Robertson (in his only album with the band) adds a heavier, slightly bluesy swagger which I really like, and the keyboards take more of a back seat.
    Delain - Dark Waters

I'm not really keen on symphonic metal and I haven't heard much of Delain's earlier material, but somehow I've latched on to this one.  The songs are very catchy and melodic - they all sound very similar, to be absolutely honest - but new singer Diana Leah has a stunningly beautiful voice.