What Are You Listening To Now ?

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10910
    Sounds like my sort of thing @Blueingreen. In a similar vein, Black Vinyl White Powder by Simon Napier-Bell is a great potted history of 20th century pop. One of my favourite ever books. At least, it was when I read it 10 or so years ago
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Listening to the 15th anniversary re-release of Beyond, the first reunion LP from Dinosaur Jr. on purple and green vinyl.

Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • roberty said:
    Sounds like my sort of thing @Blueingreen. In a similar vein, Black Vinyl White Powder by Simon Napier-Bell is a great potted history of 20th century pop. One of my favourite ever books. At least, it was when I read it 10 or so years ago

Yeah I read that too although probably more like 20 years ago than 10 so my memory is a little vague. I remember finding it very entertaining though. 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Brand New Cadillac by Vince Taylor and His Playboy's. The excellent Joe Moretti on guitar who played on a lot of early British rock and roll and pop. 
    It is quite raw and manic, not hard to see why punks liked this (although The Clash version is polite in comparison). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jdgm said:
    Sco-Mule.
    John Scofield and Govt Mule 2CD live.
    Glorious; Sco in full fusion god mode, guitar screaming with the Mule pounding along beneath.
    There are some bloody fantastic exchanges with Haynes.

I must revisit this album. Big Mule fan, but this one never quite clicked with me. Maybe it’s time.
    Hmm, still not clicking for me. The Mule, and Warren, are great, as usual, and nowt wrong with the tunes, but John Scofield to me is the guitar equivalent of that weird squealing thing saxophones do when the player goes so high they run out of notes.

• Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 349
    edited November 2022
    A little known Irish band who played to a handful of people in the early slot at Glastonbury earlier this year.

• Beatles Revolver Super Deluxe. I've only got through the 2022 mix of the album plus the first few "in progress" versions but I like it. The new mixes are subtle but nicely done - the bass and drums really benefit from everything else being panned out a bit. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• robertyroberty Frets: 10910
    Beatles Revolver Super Deluxe. I've only got through the 2022 mix of the album plus the first few "in progress" versions but I like it. The new mixes are subtle but nicely done - the bass and drums really benefit from everything else being panned out a bit. 
    I love the new mixes. The vocal harmonies in particular are sickly sweet. I'm enjoying the material a lot more in a way that didn't happen with the other remixes
    edited November 2022
    Another recent discovery, Alex G.

• NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 835
    These guys after I saw them support Samantha Fish last month. 

• George Henderson and friends, Auckland.

Featured in Australian Rolling Stone
  • Wayne Shorter: Speak No Evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJoSrQ6iP0c
  • Currently listening to First Aid Kit's new Long Player "Palomino" its rather good.

Last week was a mixture of the Pixies latest  "Doggerel" which is excellent, Taylor Swift "Midnights" which is very good and Def Leppards "Diamond Star Halos" which wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

• Been going through the Turnstile back catalogue and found this from 8 years ago.

edited November 2022
    bobblehat said:
    Currently listening to First Aid Kit's new Long Player "Palomino" its rather good.

Last week was a mixture of the Pixies latest  "Doggerel" which is excellent, Taylor Swift "Midnights" which is very good and Def Leppards "Diamond Star Halos" which wasn't as bad as I was expecting.
    I'll have to check out that FAK album, I remember them from Glastonbury a few years back. If you like Taylor Swift, the rerecorded Red album is good. I think it's called Taylor's version. The production and mixing by Serban Ghenea is top draw.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23253
    Swan Valley Heights, stoner/psychedelic rock from Germany.

edited November 2022
    bobblehat said:Taylor Swift "Midnights" which is very good.
    Here's a throwaway track from the redone Red album bonus CD. I'm actually using it as one of my mixing reference tracks, such is the genius of Serban Ghenea.

• The absolute  universe, transatlantic, and inocence  and danger, the Neal Morse band.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72749
    The new Springsteen album - Only The Strong Survive - which for those who don't know, is an album of soul and R&B covers.

It's absolutely fantastic - it might sound like an odd concept unless you realise just how much the original records were an influence on him and his music, and it's clearly done with a huge amount of love. One of the best things he's done in at least twenty years.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein