Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bought a new 2020 Gibson ES-335...but...

What's Hot

Comments

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    You did well,
    last 335 (63 memphis reissue) I bought unseen (I know I know, but it was one of those 2016 blowout deals)
    had a nut cut too low, humpy fretboard, bridge too high/poor neck set, glue slopped round inside,
    f-holes cut out  with a butter knife.

I think it’s ok too. Any replacement guitar could have more wrong with it than this one does. 

Re this particular guitar, those last two frets are up “the dusty end” anyway and are unlikely to hinder playing. The bridge is low to the body (good thing), so the neck angle is very good. The board doesn’t look marked like so many I have seen recently. The surface scratches would buff out with a bit of virtuoso polish. I would vote to keep it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PudWudPudWud Frets: 156
    I am with you but from what I can see there aren't many shops nowadays (especially the big ones) that actually go through such processes anymore :/

Peach Guitars are one that do. I bought a Fender American Original Thinline Telecaster a few months ago, and mentioned I didn't want 9's on it. They asked me how I liked the set up and set it up with 10s for me. 
  • MolemanMoleman Frets: 133
    edited January 2021
    I’m afraid that the way Gibson makes guitars is generally this - ‘We’ll make it - you buy it and test play it then expect to do the finishing off/fault finding yourself’. The faults that the OP describes seem to just be standard issue for the Big G. 

I would request a small discount and then put that cash towards rectifying the (admittedly minor, and mainly cosmetic) issues. The guitar does look really nice and a little bit of fettling could see it being a keeper!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Close your eyes. Play it. If you like what you hear and feel then keep it, if not...

The eyes are the whores of the senses.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • Your intonation looks pretty extreme, but if it's good, I'd not let the other issues bother me.

The frets are a bit of a bummer, don't Gibson use a plek machine to do it for them? 

Bit of a shame these things don't get picked up on in QA but they're not deal breakers and after a few hours playing I'd have more scratches :) happy ngd! 
  • IsambardKentuckyIsambardKentucky Frets: 155
    edited January 2021
    Fret defects on a brand new three grand guitar is a joke. That's a lot of coin. Some folk mentioning if you don't want such issues you stump up double the price for a Collings - insane.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    edited January 2021
    Fret defects on a brand new three grand guitar is a joke. That's a lot of coin. Some folk mentioning if you don't want such issues you stump up double the price for a Collings - insane.
    Don't want to start an argument with anybody, but that echoes my thinking. Year or two ago, I was in independent music store, I dropped in about once a year when I'm in the area, have a look at stock, buy a strap, strings, etc, owner was there. We don't know each other well, but I've been popping in the shop for 30 yrs, bought a couple of guitars. I commented on his current (or lack of) Gibson stock. Conversation (diplomatically) came round to current state of Gibson QC, owner quoted the Gibson rep who had said to him that it was part of Gibson, if you want a guitar to be perfect and the same buy a PRS!
    BTW I own an R7 and CS LP Jnr so I'm not a gibson hater, and they do some great guitars
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    It's worthless.  Give it away.  I'll take it.  

I think it's a right looker, and have a soft spot for block inlay 335s too. Wouldn't bother me in the slightest but if it does bother you then you probably should return it or you will just end up flipping it in a year or so.

I would love that guitar though, so you know, dibs!

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 714
    edited January 2021
    LPManic said:
    These type of finish detective posts make my blood boil. 

Two options: 1. Get a refund 2. Don't get a refund.

End of thread.

Don’t read them then?!

And for the rest of us, don’t reply to them either. 

End conversation. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    If it's an issue to you, then go for a refund. I agree that for that sort of money you'd expect it to be immaculate. But then we all know how a Gibson guitar can vary in quality.
    If you are looking to play it, myself personally if it sounds great and you can get over the niggling feelings then keep it. As others have stated, you'll soon end up scratching it yourself.
    If you've bought it as a collection piece and want it immaculate, then I can see how having one with swirls on would be an issue.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • brucegill said:
    Have to admit I almost bought a 330 CS VOS and then noticed in the pics the F holes weren’t finished at all and had burs of wood sticking out all over the place. Unbelievable for something that was £4K. Ended up ordering a used Collings for the same price. I don’t buy into the whole “mojo” shit I’m afraid. 

However, if the OPs intonation is ok and neck angle, I’d just enjoy it and play it :) 
    Yea, that sure sounds like shoddy work. I mean, I think some of these "flaws" constitute markings of handwork (i.e. tooling marks on the binding etc), which I am fine with but some things are just plain simple bad QC.

I have owned a few Gibsons before, albeit from a different era and from a different factory and they were fine.

Jalapeno said:
    brucegill said:

However, if the OPs intonation is ok and neck angle, I’d just enjoy it and play it :) 
    This.  You'll have to wait a while for one as pretty as that, that plays perfectly and has no blemishes.

Thanks for the reply! Yea, that's why I am on the fence with this one - the top is nice!

Of course, it's a musical instrument and so sound is the most important thing - but I don't think you can ignore the vanity factor at this price point lol.

Ossyrocks said:

I think it’s ok too. Any replacement guitar could have more wrong with it than this one does. 

Re this particular guitar, those last two frets are up “the dusty end” anyway and are unlikely to hinder playing. The bridge is low to the body (good thing), so the neck angle is very good. The board doesn’t look marked like so many I have seen recently. The surface scratches would buff out with a bit of virtuoso polish. I would vote to keep it.
    Yea, I agree re: frets. it doesnt affect playability but as I said in one of my previous replies is that I think this could potentially be a expensive issue to rectify if it needs relevelling/crowning etc.

TBH I am yet to go through a full setup on this one, but I think the factory setup is decent. I have played around with intonation etc and it seems to be ok.

PudWud said:
    Peach Guitars are one that do. I bought a Fender American Original Thinline Telecaster a few months ago, and mentioned I didn't want 9's on it. They asked me how I liked the set up and set it up with 10s for me. 

Heard good things about Peach but unfortunately they didn't have any in stock.

Moleman said:
    I’m afraid that the way Gibson makes guitars is generally this - ‘We’ll make it - you buy it and test play it then expect to do the finishing off/fault finding yourself’. The faults that the OP describes seem to just be standard issue for the Big G. 

I would request a small discount and then put that cash towards rectifying the (admittedly minor, and mainly cosmetic) issues. The guitar does look really nice and a little bit of fettling could see it being a keeper!
    Yes indeed that seems to be the way... I thought with the new ownership things have improved but I guess there still seems to be some inconsistency with QC.

As for the discount, as I mentioned in the original post, as of now, they are holding out for store gift card rather than cash but we'll see.

Close your eyes. Play it. If you like what you hear and feel then keep it, if not...

The eyes are the whores of the senses.
    Thanks for your reply. I am mostly with you on this.

Your intonation looks pretty extreme, but if it's good, I'd not let the other issues bother me.

The frets are a bit of a bummer, don't Gibson use a plek machine to do it for them? 
    That's the picture I took immediately upon delivery without any tweaking (i.e. how it came from the factory). I have played around a little with the intonation and seems to be ok, although I haven't gone through the full setup process yet.

I think Gibson does use plek machines but my guess is that happened during the neck prepping process where they cut the wires, sand them etc.

KDS said:
    Don't want to start an argument with anybody, but that echoes my thinking. Year or two ago, I was in independent music store, I dropped in about once a year when I'm in the area, have a look at stock, buy a strap, strings, etc, owner was there. We don't know each other well, but I've been popping in the shop for 30 yrs, bought a couple of guitars. I commented on his current (or lack of) Gibson stock. Conversation (diplomatically) came round to current state of Gibson QC, owner quoted the Gibson rep who had said to him that it was part of Gibson, if you want a guitar to be perfect and the same buy a PRS!
    Yes, honestly I am with you guys on that. At this price point, quite frankly things should be better but I guess the question is whether I am willing to accept these "issues" or not given all the other factors.

And I agree, Gibson does and can produce some great ones. I really enjoyed my previous USA Les Paul and I still love my 11 year old J-45

Deijavoo said:
    It's worthless.  Give it away.  I'll take it.  

I think it's a right looker, and have a soft spot for block inlay 335s too. Wouldn't bother me in the slightest but if it does bother you then you probably should return it or you will just end up flipping it in a year or so.

Haha. Yes, if this was free, I would not complain at all. It's just that given how expensive this is, it makes me question those "issues", albeit mostly minor.

And I agree, 335s with small block inlays look great!

• DrJazzTap said:
    If it's an issue to you, then go for a refund. I agree that for that sort of money you'd expect it to be immaculate. But then we all know how a Gibson guitar can vary in quality.
    If you are looking to play it, myself personally if it sounds great and you can get over the niggling feelings then keep it. As others have stated, you'll soon end up scratching it yourself.
    If you've bought it as a collection piece and want it immaculate, then I can see how having one with swirls on would be an issue.
    Thanks for your reply!

Clearly yes, those "issues" do somewhat bother me, I guess I am just in the process of thinking whether I can accept them for what they and also given the "compensation" offered by the dealer.

And yes, I am certainly looking for a player and I know they will pick up knocks, dings and scratches but I'd rather that be me doing the damage than the factory or any other person involved in the chain of process :).

decisions, decisions...

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    You keep saying the frets could be expensive to rectify yet apparently it doesn’t affect playability...so what is there to rectify? It sounds cosmetic only.

Cosmetically it’ll be dealt with when it eventually needs a fret dress. If not, it’ll be sorted at first refret.

If you simply don’t like it as a guitar or can’t live with the buyers remorse then use these issues to negotiate a free return.

• I bought a 335 in 2007 - it had a slightly scruffy fretboard which needed a bit of minor tidying up although nothing fundamental - a bit irksome at the time but doesn’t even register in retrospect. I still have the guitar and absolutely adore it. 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    edited January 2021
    I have two Gibsons... Both were under £1k.

Standard SG and Les Paul Tribute.

Both play and sound great. Both have a few very minor cosmetic issues. These issues are less obvious than the ones your guitar has. 

For £3k? No. It's a HELL of an investment. It should be nigh on perfect. It has a great top but don't accept it just because there isn't much stock. £3k is a lot of money. For under £2k I'd probably accept them. 
  • I understand the frustration here - if you are spending nearly £3k, you shouldn’t really have to find little issues such as these.

But the guitar might sound ace, and tick the most important boxes, hence it appears that you want to keep the guitar, but are annoyed it isn’t quite the perfect starting point.

I don’t think anyone can steer your decision other than yourself. From my experience, the little things are a PITA, and always niggle. And then if/once it has been sold on, they seem insignificant !!!
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I am continually amazed people are dropping money on Gibsons these threads just pop up all over the place. There is no magic in Gibson guitars no secret sauce that comes from some hallowed place and divine knowledge passed down through the generations just about every other company does it better in terms of fit and finish build quality. 

I was quiet Happy to cut the new management a break when they took over but frankly it seems little better.

I think the fact that you posted this means you are already suffering buyers remorse and the issues will just grind away at you and you will end up a year from now taking a loss in the classifieds.

I would get a refund and find a guitar I can love.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Actually, see what other manufacturers can offer. Why not.

Eastman, PRS and Musicman even if they aren't a proper 335 etc. 
  • First of all - looks stunning.

Echoing what others said - does it play well? Does it sound good? If yes to both, I absolutely wouldn't send it back. Within a year of use it will have picked up more swirls etc and you won't notice a thing.

Is it a bit disappointing to see this on a 3k guitar? Sure, but Gibsons always have a niggle or two anyway. As long as it's not structural, or a really ugly aesthetic defect, just enjoy it and you'll even get £100 (so a free pedal or two, or nearly two years worth of strings!) on top
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Welcome to the mad house. Happy New Year. 

Aww man, that looks like a beautiful guitar, shame about the issues you mention. I have never spent that sort of money on a guitar but if I did, I would expect perfection if I am honest. 

If it plays and sounds as good as it looks I would probably keep it but knowing my overthinking mind, the niggles would keep doing my head in. 

I know it’s ball ache but I would get the refund and start again :)