Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bought a new 2020 Gibson ES-335...but...

What's Hot

Comments

• That’s a fantastic looking 335 and I’d definitely keep it.
    you’ll pick up a couple of minor dings within a few months anyway unless you’re planning to keep it in a glass case. 

Keep it, play it, love it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That you've started this thread means it is playing on your mind. In that situation I'd get a refund.
    I'd accept marks like that on a used guitar or a budget end new one only. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • executorexecutor Frets: 62
    edited January 2021
    Hey folks,

Thank you all for chipping in - really great to hear your thoughts.

After a few agonising days of being on the fence, I decided (somewhat reluctantly) to return the guitar. Of course, this is a musical instrument, so sound and playability are the most important factors and the flaws I found do not affect those qualities but I also think at this price point (especially this being brand new purchase), purchases are not just 'rational' but also 'emotional', especially for non-professional players like myself. I don't mind picking up knocks, scratches and dings on my things but I rather it be me causing the damage . And I know with Gibsons, things will never be 100% "perfect", which I accept (I have/had a few before) and I don't mind the marking of human hands but sometimes it's a fine line between human touch and flaw - IMO at least a couple of things I found on this example are flaws.

Can't fault the dealer though - they've been good and as voiced by many of you, I think what they've offered was reasonable (and probably acceptable to many) but I guess not enough of a remedy for me personally to get me over the fence to the other side. Also, they've offered free returns.

So the hunt begins again...! I had an opportunity to briefly play a friend's new CS 335 recently, and it felt and sounded pretty nice... who knows may be I will go down the CS route.............

Thanks again folks and stay safe!
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 714
    Good you got a free return. Sounded like you weren't going to be happy with the purchase, and rightfully so. Best to move on to the next one

I was looking at the CS 330s and almost pushed the button on this one. Look at the F holes. And a little chunk missing at the bottom of the fret board....  I gave up. If they cant be arsed to finish an F hole, what the hell didn't they finish that I cant see!

https://www.gitarrentotal.ch/product/gibson-es-330-vos-vintage-natural/

Wish you luck finding something your happy with
    edited January 2021
    double post...
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    brucegill said:
    Good you got a free return. Sounded like you weren't going to be happy with the purchase, and rightfully so. Best to move on to the next one

I was looking at the CS 330s and almost pushed the button on this one. Look at the F holes. And a little chunk missing at the bottom of the fret board....  I gave up. If they cant be arsed to finish an F hole, what the hell didn't they finish that I cant see!

https://www.gitarrentotal.ch/product/gibson-es-330-vos-vintage-natural/

Wish you luck finding something your happy with
    Have Gibson ever finished f holes on a standard 330? Most standard ES line guitars I’ve seen are just the rough wood painted black.

Eastman do nice f hole binding work.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2198
    My 2020 335 64 reissue had rough wood around the f holes and a couple of other minor flaws.

Plays and sounds perfect though. 

I guess if perfect fit and finish are your thing,  you'll be better off with a collings. 
  • The f holes in the example I returned actually looked pretty clean. edges kinda smooth and finished with dark paint
    Fishboy7 said:
    My 2020 335 64 reissue had rough wood around the f holes and a couple of other minor flaws.

I guess if perfect fit and finish are your thing,  you'll be better off with a collings. 
    It’s not that’s it’s my thing particularly, it’s just I can’t understand it on a £3-4.5k guitar. Let’s face it, they ain’t cutting those F holes out my hand! Just get some sand paper out and finish the job with a bit of pride and care. I just find it a bit odd. Totally get that if it’s what you want (Gibson) and it sounds right and plays well, these things don’t really matter, I just wish I could see it that way personally :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7 said:

Honestly, that is crazy. I was toying with going custom shop to avoid issues like this, but even then...
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2198
    To be fair - I'm probably exaggerating it a bit.  There were some very slight splintery rough bits around the f hole but they were easily smoothed away.  
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    I notice my MIM Fenders and Japanese instruments are absolutely flawless. Gibson just need to sort it out. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2284
    Wouldn’t be too concerned if it plays and sounds the  way you want it. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    I agree those 330 f-holes are a bit crappy, but you can sort it yourself with 2 mins and a bit of 320-grit. 

As so many have said, if you want the right vibe, you get over the minor finishing issues. If you want perfection finishes, you can get a PRS or Collings but they never feel the same.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 742
    I accept these are minor issues. Except for the fret issues. At this price point fretting should be better. These days US producers are competing with some exceptional Far East manufacturers. Would those frets have passed Eastman or Yamaha QC? I don't think so. Competition in the market is fierce. Good for us and good for the producers in the long run. You can only rely on reputation and brand name for so long.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12316
    It's a lovely guitar and of course doesnt affect how it plays, but worth bearing in mind that I got a £250 Silvertone from gear4music and the finish is absolutely flawless, so not excuse on a guitar at 10x the cost
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    You did the right thing. Those flaws were ANNOYING, it just reduces the joy of ownership of a Brand New guitar. The flaws should not be there, period. There is a checklist in your case signed by someone who is PAID to look for these flaws.
    the biggest issue for me were the saddle positions , there were not right, end of.
    Every customer who sends these back gives a clear message to Gibson and their dealers.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited January 2021
    One day someone will buy Gibson and they will install CNC machines & adopt proper final assembly and QC practices from Fujigen or PRS. Until then I guess we’ll have this “finish flaws are part of the romance” nonsense. Fender managed to reverse their approach. I'm sure if the will is there Gibson can too.

Gibson can spend all they want on their heritage. At some point, the QC has to catch up. My nephews ESP LTD is put together with more attention to detail. It's embarrassing. 
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 453
    edited January 2021
    Bit late to the party here but if that were me and I was really happy with the guitar from a playability and tone perspective I would keep it and ask for a partial refund. If you were trading that in they would pick up those flaws and use them to knock the price because they would know it could affect resale. If the playability and tone wasn't outstanding I would send it straight back. I am used to Collings guitars so I've never had that problem. 
    I agree those 330 f-holes are a bit crappy, but you can sort it yourself with 2 mins and a bit of 320-grit. 

As so many have said, if you want the right vibe, you get over the minor finishing issues. If you want perfection finishes, you can get a PRS or Collings but they never feel the same.
    If you bought a brand new top of the range BMW and found the paint was all orange pealed, would you get the wet and dry out and think it’s ok? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom