Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson/Boogie Partnership?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27113
    Well MrsF said the Cali Tweed was pretty and maybe I could have one, so maybe I need to get in there before Gibson break everything? 

On a more serious note it sounds like Randall Smith is staying put but getting a bit of pressure off, so it could be fine. Once he's gone everyone is going to talk about post-Smith-death designs anyway, so the company's shareholders aren't necessarily the long-term issue. 

Google suggests they turn ovr around $20m a year, so let's assume 1k per amp (before shipping, dealer margins & tax), that's about 20,000 amps - nothing like Gibson numbers, but no small endeavour. 

I'm much less cynical than most of you lot - Gibson aren't going to move Mesa production to Nashville and start making them with fret file marks or orange peel in the finish (at least, I assume they're not...)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Do mesa need to innovate? They already make some of the finest amps in the world, across all genres.

Do amps need to innovate for that matter? I think digital yes, but analogue amps have not really made any significant change since the rectifier or 6505. 

If mesa continue churning out great amps and price them well, I think everyone has won. Hopefully the Gibson pairing will help invest in a service network and efficient building. 

I'm optimistic at heart! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418

Do amps need to innovate for that matter? I think digital yes, but analogue amps have not really made any significant change since the rectifier or 6505.
    I would agree with that. Although there has been evolution and innovation in the sense of more control options, there has really been no groundbreaking new valve amp sound since the Dual Rectifier in 1989 or just possibly the original 5150 in 1992, and that was now nearly thirty years ago.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Hey gang. I've got a pre-Gibson era Mesa Boogie Badlander incoming from Guitar Guitar in a few weeks. I think they're putting the last few capacitors in it now.

Anyone wanna buy it for £5000??

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hey gang. I've got a pre-Gibson era Mesa Boogie Badlander incoming from Guitar Guitar in a few weeks. I think they're putting the last few capacitors in it now.

Is it innovative? 

I'LL TAKE IT 
  • Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 329
    I dont know how much future innovation Gibson are thinking or planning. I really doubt they'll do anything to raise the bar that mesa has already set. And will they still make gibson amps? Is gibson the only amp good enough?

An incredibly generous offer. Given how much brand new Boogies cost I'm frankly amazed you're prepared to let it go for 50% of the MSRP :-D