Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson/Boogie Partnership?

What's Hot
tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
edited January 2021 in Amps
The rumour is tearing around the FB groups today.

50% acquisition.

Anyone hear anything?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    which way? I thought Gibson were on their arse?
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    edited January 2021
    welshboyo said:
    which way? I thought Gibson were on their arse?

Gibson bought the shares of MB, allegedly.

Still rumour as far as I can tell just now.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24385
    Randall Smith must be ancient by now. Maybe none of the existing senior people had the money to buy his part for retirement?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    It would have to be Gibson buying into Mesa - Mesa is tiny by comparison. No way Mesa would borrow enough to buy into Gibson - Gibson itself is having enough trouble with that sort of thing.

Presumably Randall Smith has given a retirement present to himself and Gibson have invested in something that actually makes a good profit.

Form a queue for your pre-Gibson Mesas now...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2021
    I bet all them bedroom dealers are loving this - they are now pulling out all those old unwanted DC and F-Series combos and peddling them as "pre-Gibson".....

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    And now Gibson will put the prices up again after the drop when Westside were binned.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2021
    ICBM said:
    It would have to be Gibson buying into Mesa - Mesa is tiny by comparison. No way Mesa would borrow enough to buy into Gibson - Gibson itself is having enough trouble with that sort of thing.

Presumably Randall Smith has given a retirement present to himself and Gibson have invested in something that actually makes a good profit.

Form a queue for your pre-Gibson Mesas now...

Thing is, it doesnt even have to mean there'll be any changes in terms of production.

It never really panned out that way with Soldano which is as comparable a case as I can think of.

Sure there was a bit of an increase in "Pre-B.A.D" amps but I've seen them generally sell for around £3k. Up a bit on the £2500 of a couple years ago.

I agree with the bedroom dealer thing. Everything is hyped as collectible for Some reason or another now.
    edited January 2021
    I'm waiting for the Mesa Joe Bonamassa signature series....

or even worse...the Mesa Hendrix Signature series
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    edited January 2021
    Gibson make a Mesa everything they touch.
    31reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    tekbow said:

Thing is, it doesnt even have to mean there'll be any changes in terms of production.
    It doesn't, but the perception is that it will and so the usual "pre" thing will become a reality even if it doesn't.

Personally, I actually hope something does change - with the resources of Gibson behind them I would like to see Mesa develop digital amps, or even better, modern lightweight analogue solid state or hybrid. They've already got excellent hybrid bass amps, so it wouldn't be a big step really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    tekbow said:

It doesn't, but the perception is that it will and so the usual "pre" thing will become a reality even if it doesn't.

Personally, I actually hope something does change - with the resources of Gibson behind them I would like to see Mesa develop digital amps, or even better, modern lightweight analogue solid state or hybrid. They've already got excellent hybrid bass amps, so it wouldn't be a big step really.
    I would love the new TT800 bass amp.
    Demos sound amazing. One of the designers is on Basschat and it appears to tick all my boxes.

If / when gigs start again I'll be having a serious look.
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 293
    I think it would be a good opportunity to develop lower cost amps to widen their market (probably built outside the US) and influence a wider audience as to how versatile the amps are (eg the Mark V). They would also likely expand the pedal side of the business. 
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    In all my days I've never once heard Randall Smith referred to as Randy Smith, must be JC's new bestie already if he's allowed to call him that - https://www.gibson.com/News/Gibson-and-Mesa-Boogie
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    tekbow said:

Demos sound amazing. One of the designers is on Basschat and it appears to tick all my boxes.

I thought bass player mostly used the big amp at the front/side/above the stage these days. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    tekbow said:
    Some crackers on there!

ICBM said:
    tekbow said:

I thought bass player mostly used the big amp at the front/side/above the stage these days. 
    Not in shite midlands venues with crap PA's they don't!
    (Or for gigs where all the other instruments are un-amplified. Big Bands and stuff)
    I wonder if the binning of Westside had to happen first before this could?
    tekbow said:
    Some crackers on there!

It's full on going down like a turd in a Mars Bar wrapper.