Which gig do you wish you could have attended by a band around in your lifetime?

What's Hot

Comments

• JayceeJaycee Frets: 306
    I had a ticket to see Springsteen in Milton Keynes but missed it due to illness,  I missed U2 in Cardiff the old Arms Park Iirc and Thin lizzy at sophia Garden in Cardiff.

Would have loved to have seen Led Zep in Madison Square Gardens
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    Spearhead (Michael Franti)

I had to choose between seeing them and doing something else (don't even remember what it was). All my mates who went were banging on about it for weeks - it had obviously been a great gig.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    When the Boat Race in Cambridge was open I used to go there all the time. One night I popped in on my way somewhere and it turned out to be a reunion gig by The Soft Boys. They were absolutely mind-blowingly good. And for reasons I now can't remember, I could only stay for a couple of songs, so I missed nearly all of it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nirvana at the Mayfair Ballroom in Newcastle (nearest to me they ever played) in late 1991.

When the tour was booked they were an obscure Seattle punk band, so we're booked at small venues across UK and Europe. By the time the gig came around 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' had just come out, and they instantly became the hottest ticket on the planet.

Reports are it was mayhem trying to get tickets, and they ended up with waaaay more people sneaking into the venue than was legal. Thank god there wasn't a fire on the night or it would have been a BBQ!

Looked like an amazing gig... 

Alas, I was only 9 years old at the time!
    Similar. I couldn’t be arsed to go see them at Bradford Uni on the same tour. The rest is music history.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    Pink Floyd on The Division Bell tour. 
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 335
    I bitterly regret missing Bowie at Birmingham Town Hall on the Ziggy Stardust tour (1973-ish?). Think the support was Queen but I might have made that up. There were tickets but I had exams ffs.

I did see Mick Ronson at the same venue not long afterwards though, Bowie at the NEC on the Serious Moonlight tour, and Queen on their Bohemian Rhapsody tour at Birmingham Odeon, so not all bad!
    I love my brick
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I used to work at the 100 club in the 90s. When I came back from a holiday, the boss told me the bad news that the Rolling Stones had played a secret gig there for friends and family (300 people). 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    I always think of U2 when this topic comes i up - I’d be very happy if I could travel back to every major era - something from the Unforgettable Fire tour, the height of ZooTV, and the Slane Castle or NYC shows from the Elevation tour 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    Jason said:
    Tom Petty. 

Thought about going to the Hyde Park gig in 2017 but decided it’d be too much hassle to go ;-)

Boy do I regret that. 

I came here to say exactly the same thing

ditto - I saw it advertised - My wife (at the time) is a Stevie Nicks fan as well, so looked into it - As you say a big hassle to get to London and back - Train times back home to Derby not suitable, so would have had to stay overnight - So not a cheap gig - So I thought bugger it, will see him on another tour another day 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    The Apple rooftop gig. Although I was only one at the time.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Elvis on opening night at Vegas 1969, at his absolute peak with a killer rock and roll band. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    scrumhalf said:
    I'd like to have seen the Green/Spencer/Kirwan lineup of Fleetwood Mac. 
    Me too. 

I’d have liked to have seen Hendrix, but I was just slightly too young, he’d died a few months before the time I started going to gigs. A friend saw him at a London gig around 67 and said he was completely off his head and played really badly, so it would have to be a decent night like one of the Albert Hall gigs.  
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    edited February 2021
    I really only started going to gigs from 1978 so it would have to be Led Zep at Knebworth 1979.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3546
    Tin Machine, first album. 

Bowie with Belew. Talking Heads with Belew. Crimson early 80's.

Most of these I was way too young for  :/ 

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited February 2021
    Nirvana at the Mayfair Ballroom in Newcastle (nearest to me they ever played) in late 1991.

When the tour was booked they were an obscure Seattle punk band, so we're booked at small venues across UK and Europe. By the time the gig came around 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' had just come out, and they instantly became the hottest ticket on the planet.

Reports are it was mayhem trying to get tickets, and they ended up with waaaay more people sneaking into the venue than was legal. Thank god there wasn't a fire on the night or it would have been a BBQ!

Looked like an amazing gig... 

Alas, I was only 9 years old at the time!
    Similar. I couldn’t be arsed to go see them at Bradford Uni on the same tour. The rest is music history.
    I saw them on this tour at Notts Rock City -  the level of hype and excitement about them at the time was insane, and it was hands down the most overcrowded gig Ive ever been to besides Ministry at the same venue almost exactly 1 year later - Rock City were not good at obeying venue capacity limits back then I guess. I did see them at Reading 1992 as well but didnt really get a chance to enjoy them much as I spent their entire set trying to watch them but having a drunken argument with my girlfriend - ah well. As per Reverend earlier, the rest of the bill made up for it in spades. As far as which band I'd like to have seen it is a band Ive seen many times - Slayer - but would love to have seen them on their Hell Awaits tour in 1985

• Jeff Buckley - not sure which year, possibly 1996?
    Couldn't get ticket, was going to get one from tout but then announced tube strike.
    Fuck that. 6 months or so later he was dead. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Free at Friars Aylesbury in (I think) December 1969. I used to go most Monday evenings, but missed that one.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786
    Haych said:
    Would have to be Dire Straits for me, on either the Love Over Gold or Brothers In Arms tour. 

Almost got the chance to see them at the Sheffield Arena on the OES tour.  We were staying with relatives who lived in the Sheffield area who did go to the show but mum wouldn't let me as the show was on Sunday September 1st and we had to drive back to South Wales so I could attend first day of the new school term the next day.

As it happened, school didn't start until the Tuesday so I could have gone to the show after all!

It's not something I could never forgive my mother for doing but it's definitely one of those what-if moments in life.
    I saw them at Wembley Arena on the Love Over Gold Tour, my experience was:

Song starts, me "ooh, I like this one"

Song as I know it ends, followed by an extended solo until I'm bored shitless.

Song ends.

Repeat until the gig ends.

The gig I regret most was when I took a mate's band down to London for a gig at The Clarendon (downstairs) only to find that The Ramones were playing upstairs.

I stayed loyal to my mate and didn't try and get in, really wish I had.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Dav275Dav275 Frets: 293
    exocet said:
    Motorhead who appeared at what was then my local music venue called The Hermit Club in Brentwood late '78.
    I was too young - didn't get to see them until 1982. The venue had a capacity of 100, the gig went down in local folklore history! Smaller gigs always had more impact on me - like when I saw Crowded House at Goldwyns in Birmingham in 91, fantastic gig.
    @exocet ;
    + 1 for Motorhead. Spent many happy, sweaty evenings in The Hermit in the 70's, but unfortunately missed that one too.
  • Queen at the Bowl or at Wembley. Trouble is, I would have only been 10 or 14 respectively.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.