New Fender Chrissie Hynde model

What's Hot

Comments

• dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    dazzajl said:

I do think she has a fab voice and writes some great songs but she does come across as pretty grumpy and difficult. Maybe that counts as some kind of cool??

I can only imagine that her and Ray were not the easiest of dinner guests 
    I saw a biopic of the Band sometime last year and it was plainly stated, that you join the Pretenders via a rotating door and Chrissies's finger is on the rotation button. With few exceptions, most have left because she wanted to change direction. Whether it's fair to single her out is open to question I guess, because God knows there are no shortage of male 'band leaders' who have done the same thing.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

Wow, I always thought the Pretenders were one of those bands we're all "supposed" to love and revere (...never liked them myself).  ;)

I love the songs, the music, her voice, everything really... but saw them live in the 80s and her guitar sound was beyond ice-picky. I don't know whether I was just at the focal point of the sound waves or something - arguably some of the best seats, dead centre of the grand circle in the Edinburgh Playhouse - but it was painful to the point of distracting from being able to hear the music properly.
    That sounds like somebody who’s spent too long on stage with ridiculously high SPLs and lost a big chunk from the top of their hearing spectrum, and given how long she’s been in the business and on the road I’d be amazed if that wasn’t the case -  this is supported by her tech reporting that her on stage amp is just a stage prop these days with the real amp(s) backstage and that she’s very fussy about having the drummer screened off...

Although if that was the case you’d expect that to be discreetly sorted out in the FoH mix these days, and when I saw The Pretenders at Latitude back in 2009 her guitar was definitely bright, crisp, and sometimes spiky but I don’t recall it being unpleasantly so in the context of the whole band...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11727
    I love The Pretenders, but I'm not a fan of 'signature' guitars.  I prefer to stamp my own (admittedly crap) personality on my stock guitars.  Back On The Chain Gang is one of my fave songs (well this week, anyway).  
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1937
    That guitar is £1250 notes which sounds a bit of a piss take by Fender yet again for a Mexican built Tele. I've nothing against Mex Tele's but where's the justification. It looks pretty ordinary to me. I'll bet the electronics are cheap too. I'm also not sure why Fender has made a CH signature Tele really. Usually you'd associate a signature model with a stand-out guitarist. No disrespect to CH meant but she's not really known as a guitarist as such and  more a competent rhythm player isn't she?   

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22880

Trogly reviewed it.  It has, after all, got a strange circular patch of "wear" on the scratchplate.

I must say, I really like the look.  Chrome on ice blue works well for me.  I like the locking tuners.  I even think the six-saddle bridge suits it, and I normally hate them.

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    Devil#20 said:
    That guitar is £1250 notes which sounds a bit of a piss take by Fender yet again for a Mexican built Tele. I've nothing against Mex Tele's but where's the justification. It looks pretty ordinary to me. I'll bet the electronics are cheap too. I'm also not sure why Fender has made a CH signature Tele really. Usually you'd associate a signature model with a stand-out guitarist. No disrespect to CH meant but she's not really known as a guitarist as such and  more a competent rhythm player isn't she?   
    I’d guess they chose her because a lot of guitars are bought to write songs on, not wheedle. 
    dazzajl said:   
    I’d guess they chose her because a lot of guitars are bought to write songs on, not wheedle. 
    I'm not following that. Can you explain?

Ian

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    Devil#20 said:
    dazzajl said:   
    I'm not following that. Can you explain?
    Sure..... there is a big market out there of people who buy their guitar primarily to write songs with. Chrissy seems like a good choice to attract that market. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    I think that was a joke...the joke is like people buy guitars because to collect, they look cool and brag, like the joke about dentist.
  • Kind of inhabiting the same world as the Joe Strummer signature - great songwriter and rhythm guitarist. 

I like the idea - plenty of very reasonable guitarists who may be considered average (but are probably much better than we realise) who use their guitars to write great songs.
    I think that was a joke...the joke is like people buy guitars because to collect, they look cool and brag, like the joke about dentist.
    I must be feeling particularly dense today. 

Ian

• Devil#20 said:
     Now I am feeling dense - Dentists buy guitars to brag about owning them ?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    Devil#20 said:
     Now I am feeling dense - Dentists buy guitars to brag about owning them ?
    I dunno, I only have a law degree.
  • Ah ok - I googled it. 

I didn’t know that expensive guitars were seen as trophies.

I need to get out more. Then again, perhaps I don’t.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788
    edited February 2021
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    Kind of inhabiting the same world as the Joe Strummer signature - great songwriter and rhythm guitarist. 

I like the idea - plenty of very reasonable guitarists who may be considered average (but are probably much better than we realise) who use their guitars to write great songs.
    It was a very individual looking Tele though to be fair. It was 'his' very personalised and instantly recognisable guitar. 

Ian

• Devil#20 said:
    Kind of inhabiting the same world as the Joe Strummer signature - great songwriter and rhythm guitarist. 

It was a very individual looking Tele though to be fair. It was 'his' very personalised and instantly recognisable guitar. 
    Yes, very true.
    Ah ok - I googled it. 

I didn’t know that expensive guitars were seen as trophies.

I need to get out more. Then again, perhaps I don’t.
    Yeah. I now know who Basil "Tug" Wilson is. The power of the internet.  ;)

Ian

• DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2366
    Thanks for posting that video PaulC.

I'm not interested in the guitar, but their first album was the first album I bought.  A great album.

Never really liked any of the later stuff...

• Devil#20 said:
    Mexican Fenders are very well made and the electronics are not cheap at all. It’s a nitro/relic, vintage spec Fender, I think it’s a reasonable price.