Gretsch - recommendations, ideas, thoughts, suggestions etc

What's Hot

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    Fuengi said:
    Just out of interest, what's your budget? 
    Not sure, I'm fishing at the moment. Looking for something around the budget of the two guitars I have on sale I suppose..... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Been reading this thread, and bought my first Gretsch today...a 6228
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    I’ve had both the 59RI big body falcon and the players edition Falcon.

If you liked the feel of a big box ES175 & didn’t find it cumbersome you probably won’t shy away from them. They are big and the necks do feel too small for the size of the guitar IMO but they do look fantastic.

Any double cutaway Gretsch I’ve played just didn’t feel Gretsch enough for me and are missing that airy sound that you get from a falcon or 6120.

Falcons do seem to keep used value better than other Gretsch’s. But like others have said most Japanese Gretsch are great guitars but you often have to try a lot to find the one suited to you.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    I showed Mrs Merlin a few pictures, various colours and a variety of single and double cuts. She looked for about 5 seconds and preferred the single cut White Falcon. 

Just need to find one now! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just to add there are some Centre Block models with an Ebony base under the bridge (like any hollow a Gretsch) and there are some that drill the posts directly into the top and the centre block, like a 335. 

The latter will have quite different geometry, which is why they usually have B7 bigsbies rather than the B6s usually found on the former. Which you prefer is entirely personal.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2197
    I'm pretty tempted by this one. 

No Bigsby, and the best inlays and headstock.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRETSCH-SILVER-FALCON-GUITAR-/114698641915?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    There are couple of Ivory Anniversary models around on the used market, they look like fantastic guitars. Same model as Dan has here.

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7860
    Fuengi said:
    There are couple of Ivory Anniversary models around on the used market, they look like fantastic guitars. Same model as Dan has here.

I’m a massive fan of Annies.  Not as blingy as most Gretsches, love the 12” radius neck, ebony board, and just joyous and fun to play.  
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5753
    edited February 2021
    Fishboy7 said:
    I'm pretty tempted by this one. 

No Bigsby, and the best inlays and headstock.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRETSCH-SILVER-FALCON-GUITAR-/114698641915?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Silver Falcons are just the best. Closely followed by the Stephen Stills model. Other opinions are available of course but they’re all wrong.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sorry for the thread hijack, but could @dazzajl and @TheMarlin just maybe do a brief Gretsch model overview?

I find the Falcon / Country Gent / Anniversary / Chet Atkins / 5420 models all too similar to distinguish with any certainty. 
    Flacons/Phoenix and Country Gents are the biggest body Gretsches. Then the 6120 is the next size down, and the iconic Gretsch shape/style. The Anniversary is the same size as a 6120, but the body is thinner, making it a more comfortable play. Still hollow, and sounds amazing. 

Falcons are lovely, but not for everyone, as some people don’t find the bulk comfortable to play, and as Malcolm Young has shown, can dwarf shorter players.  

Duo Jets are LP size Gretsches, usually with a chambered mahogany body with a carved maple cap.  Lovely guitars, particularly the Vintage Select models. 

There is also the Electromatic (mid price range), and Streamliners, which is the budget range.  I do like the G2420T, nicely made, and a new set of pickups gets it close to the G5420T (but for less money). 

If you can, always try to buy a used Pro Line model over an Electromatic. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    My knowledge of the BIIIIIIG Gretsches is nothing like Marlin's, he is very much the go to guy for the full rundown.

I will say that I'm not personally a fan of the Player or centre block models and I'm not a fan of the Electromatic range either. They are all great guitars and the Electromatics are superb value. None of them are "real" Gretsches though in my view. A big part of what makes a Gretsch unique is that daft construction. The lack of feedback prevention, the neck sitting high over the body so that you have a bridge floating on a hardwood base and a Bigsby without a tension bar or through stringing. 

If you go for something more modern, with the annoying wrinkles ironed out, then yes you will get a more stable and predictable guitar but you're not getting what I see as the Gretsch experience. An experience I totally understand why some people want to avoid, even if "a Gibson in a Gretsch suit" isn't for me.

And p.s.
    There is a reason why all the coolest Gretsch players play a Jet ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    edited February 2021
    A spanner in the works of the 6120 line is the 6120N New Nashville - this is nothing like a 6120! it has a florentine cutaway and a thin body more akin to a Gibson 335...

I agree with @TheMarlin about the Annies - up until early last year I had a Jaguar Tan one that he had previously owned and it was a beaut, there was just something special about that particular guitar, in hindsight I should have kept it...
    We are all Chameleons...
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2429
    TheMarlin said:

Duo Jets are LP size Gretsches, usually with a chambered mahogany body with a carved maple cap.  Lovely guitars, particularly the Vintage Select models.
    I can vouch for that :)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    How do Duo Jets sound compared to hollow bodies? 
    Fuengi said:
    How do Duo Jets sound compared to hollow bodies? 
    Surprisingly similar. The hollows have a bit more of that rubber band, stretchy sound to low thump notes but the common DNA is very obvious. 

If you have Twitter go and look up Darrel Higham (@dchigham), he’s put videos up in the last couple of days with both and it’s a great illustration. 
    Jimbro66 said:
    TheMarlin said:

I have so much GAS for that guitar. Alas, have a non compliant wallet ;)  
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2429
    TheMarlin said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    TheMarlin said:

I have so much GAS for that guitar. Alas, have a non compliant wallet ;)  
    I know that feeling only too well. To get the Duo Jet I had to sell a lot of gear, both kidneys, one child and the dog. It was worth it :)
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Jimbro66 said:

I know that feeling only too well. To get the Duo Jet I had to sell a lot of gear, both kidneys, one child and the dog. It was worth it :)
    No! Not the dog....  :o

Call me Dave.
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
    Forgive me if this has already has already been covered, but do invest in a good pro setup on a Gretsch. The vintage spec guitars often get a bad rep for being a bit unstable but I have found a well set up one is no worse than any other bigsby equipped guitar. Although the Japanese pro line is VERY well made, in my experience they still need a final look over as the factory setting is usually a bit safe. The Chet I owned was transformed after its aluminium nut was properly cut, I hate to think that you might be put off Gretschi by something that is easily remedied.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom