Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Daft assumptions you've had for years about guitars/bass/gear ?

What's Hot

Comments

• S56035S56035 Frets: 1125
    KDS said:
    Les Paul is for rhythm guitar, strat or tele is lead guitar.... no idea why 
    Nope.  You're not allowed to play anything but power chords on a LP, blues lead on a Strat and strumming on a Tele.  those are the rules :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KDS said:
    I thought when beginning one had to be a rhythm guitarist. Then I guess someone would come along and tell you that you were good to be allowed to play lead. Hence I felt guilty in my first teen forays away from chords into leads. I hadn't been given permission yet. 

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    Until I was in my late 20s I thought all guitars sounded their best with their controls on 10. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    I didn’t know what the lead guitarist did in the sing if he wasn’t playing a solo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    KDS said:
    I thought when beginning one had to be a rhythm guitarist. Then I guess someone would come along and tell you that you were good to be allowed to play lead. Hence I felt guilty in my first teen forays away from chords into leads. I hadn't been given permission yet. 
    Any idea where that came from?
  • Alexlotl said:
    The most toxic bit of "wisdom" I received as a teenager was to keep all your guitar knobs on 10. I had a Telecaster. It was so painfully bright that I ended up just playing it acoustically most of the time.

"If it sounds good, it's good" seems so obvious on paper, but I think it takes the confidence of adulthood to put it into practice.
    Think I was still doing that up to my late 30’s!

It didn’t help that when they interviewed guitarists in the mags back then, I’m sure most of them seemed to comment that they had the guitar volume and tone on full, and it just became a habit that you didn’t question.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24274
    For about 20 years I assumed that a 5 string bass had an 'E' 5th string and the 'extra' first string was a B like the guitar, for doing more higher register playing - have only just discovered that the 5th String is actually a low B !

@Slash'N'burn ;

Not always - there are some who use a high string. BUT it's still not a B, it's a C!
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    Rowby1 said:
    Until I was in my late 20s I thought all guitars sounded their best with their controls on 10. 
    They do ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I bought the kids a cheapish Ukulele, on opening the box I looked at it and decided that some idiot at the factory had stringed it up incorrectly, I mean you can’t have a treble string at the top can you? Why are two strings the same gauge? :)

Thankfully I looked it up before I started unwinding those nylon string knots, and realised it was indeed correct ☺️

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    For years I assumed I would never be good enough to play in a band, until I realised musical ability has very little to do with it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • For a long time I assumed that because a lot of people I admired played Les Pauls, it was the guitar for me, and it was only after a Baja had called out to me from the classifieds here that I discovered it was the tele (which I'd never really "got" before, either), that was my perfect guitar. Although I had to get one made with contours, because I'm weak that way. But apart from the squareness, it's perfect.

It was only embarrassingly recently that I realised I thought that if you didn't have all the knobs full up you weren't really getting your money's worth. Which is mad. 

• Neill said:
    For years I assumed I would never be good enough to play in a band, until I realised musical ability has very little to do with it.

???? Hahaha, technical ability is one thing, but not needing musical ability ?
  • When I first started playing I assumed the "rhythm" and "lead" markers on a guitar's toggle switch were a carry over from an earlier era and the wrong way round for more contemporary music.  I mean, obviously the louder, fatter and more sustained sound would be used for lead and the thinner, cleaner sound would be used for rhythm - right?
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KDS said:
    KDS said:
    Any idea where that came from?

Not sure. Maybe I confused rhythm and lead guitar as two different instruments. 

I remember I totally had my mind blown watching Maiden England for the first time and realising how wrong I'd been. 

I was young. That's my excuse. 

• I used to think feeling sad made you a better blues player.

I used to think girls would throw themselves at me because I played guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    I used to think that to be a good guitar it had to have a super low action and sustain for days. 

I care little about either now. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14243
    tFB Trader
    Haych said:
    I used to think that to be a good guitar it had to have a super low action and sustain for days. 

I care little about either now. 
    you'll be saying next that you thought all guitars should play like butter
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    edited February 2021
    That complex amps, with lots of options would enable me to find ‘the perfect sound’.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1085
    I thought that I didn't deserve a high end guitar. Then I got one and I love it and play more and play the best I've ever played and very much regret all the years I missed being too down on myself.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18753
    I thought that the people that had the best & most expensive guitars & gear actually knew what they were talking about...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom