Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Daft assumptions you've had for years about guitars/bass/gear ?

What's Hot

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    When I was learning I thought open chords were only starter chords for beginners, and bar chords was the real thing and once you learned those you didn't need open chords again.  :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Neill said:
    For years I assumed I would never be good enough to play in a band, until I realised musical ability has very little to do with it.

???? Hahaha, technical ability is one thing, but not needing musical ability ?

Yes that's really what I meant, though I have played with guys who had neither...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5630
    Haych said:
    I used to think that to be a good guitar it had to have a super low action and sustain for days. 

I care little about either now. 
    you'll be saying next that you thought all guitars should play like butter
    Lurpak, maybe. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    That I needed a 100w valve amp in order to gig. Preferably a head and a 4x12.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I bought the kids a cheapish Ukulele, on opening the box I looked at it and decided that some idiot at the factory had stringed it up incorrectly, I mean you can’t have a treble string at the top can you? Why are two strings the same gauge? :)

Thankfully I looked it up before I started unwinding those nylon string knots, and realised it was indeed correct ☺️

I did unwind mine.  :s
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I remember the first time I saw a photo of a microphone on a guitar amp speaker it seemed such an odd thing - that someone would plug in to an amp then mic that rather than just plugging the guitar directly in to the tape recorder electronically.
  • I used to think that as long as you spent lots of money on your amp the speaker/cab didn't matter...
  • For about 20 years I assumed that a 5 string bass had an 'E' 5th string and the 'extra' first string was a B like the guitar, for doing more higher register playing - have only just discovered that the 5th String is actually a low B !

Had a mate who broke his bass before a gig and borrowed a five string from another band. Took him most of the first song to find out what was happening.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72340
    Someone once brought me a Washburn 5-string which had a neck like a bow and arrow... yes, he had tuned it E-C with the stock strings :). A testimony to how well it was made is that I simply tuned it correctly and adjusted the truss rod, and all was fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5630
    A friend of mine once had a short scale Fender P-Bass, quite a nice thing it was. 

He gave it to another friend to ‘tune’ as he wasn’t very experienced at the time and his friend tuned it to E2, A2, D3, G3

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought humbuckers couldn't jangle but they can handle the jangle, oh yes.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    At one time I thought there as a clearly defined hierarchy in the guitar world.  With Gibson the best, Fender less 'good', Ibanez way down and so on.  Sadly I was right in one aspect: 1970s Fenders were total shite and the Gibson I bought to replace my 70s Strat was way better than the Strat.  In actual fact the Gibson I bought was, at best, pretty ordinary but it was leagues better than the Strat.

I was so traumatised by the experience that it took a (large) number of years before I would touch a Fender.  The Fender that I did try was a Telecaster, I bought it there and then.  Luckily Fender had upped their game considerably in the intervening years.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Haych said:
    A friend of mine once had a short scale Fender P-Bass, quite a nice thing it was. 

He gave it to another friend to ‘tune’ as he wasn’t very experienced at the time and his friend tuned it to E2, A2, D3, G3
    That's actually one for me - when I was playing in primary school and tuning using an electric tuner, I'd worry if it was tuning to the right E note, for example, and not the E note in a different octave.

I didn't realise how obvious it would be if I tuned it to the wrong octave.
  • S56035 said:

Before I'd ever even picked up a guitar I assumed that on a 2 pickup guitar one was for the distortion sound and one was for clean.
    I thought that some guitars sounded distorted and some were clean, regardless of what amp they were plugged into.

I also thought from reading reviews that a warm tone was distorted, so therefore I assumed that a clean sound was referred to as cold 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• I'm another that always had everything at 10. Bridge pickup too (that might have been because it was hss) and loads of distortion. I had a lovely sf vibro champ for a little while and hated it as it was like an ice pick in the ear. Wish I still had that amp, it got stolen. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72340
    thegummy said:

That's actually one for me - when I was playing in primary school and tuning using an electric tuner, I'd worry if it was tuning to the right E note, for example, and not the E note in a different octave.

I didn't realise how obvious it would be if I tuned it to the wrong octave.
    I once tuned up a guitar with a Floyd using an old analogue needle tuner, in a shop on a busy Saturday morning when I couldn’t hear the strings. It just needed the volume pot cleaning but it was pickguard-mounted so I’d slackened off the strings to get at it. I was puzzled by why the bridge was up at about 30 degrees, and without thinking, pulled the arm up... and immediately broke three strings. The tuner had latched onto a harmonic on each string and I’d tuned it up to either A or B :). The owner was watching and was not amused, although he did get a free set of new “professionally fitted” strings out of it... ;) (And I made sure it was plugged into an amp when I tuned it up, the second time!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MilkMilk Frets: 84
    When I was a teen and getting into guitar on a strat shaped thing. I was under the impression that I need the heaviest gauge on there possible as it would sound the best, therefore I would get the feel for them fast. all it actually did was slow down my progress learning massively and then I gave up and binned everything.

When I restarted playing last year from pretty much the beginning as I didn't get far because of unplayable strings for me I started on 9s but I experimented recently to discover I like 10s on strat scale length guitars
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 604
    That I am not a ten thumbed, tone deaf, talentless noise polluter.
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 416
    Rowby1 said:
    Until I was in my late 20s I thought all guitars sounded their best with their controls on 10. 
    Rather embarrassingly, I'm still doing this!

Must try amp loud, guitar volume low. 

This is like therapy but less expensive.